Quentin Jarrell

THE EPIC MAGNETAR THREAD

I know you won't be able to handle all of the pure awesomeness that is the Magnetar at one time so I'm going to ease you into it.  The sample SPL coils have be meticulously inspected, packed, and shipped to the build house for assembly.  If you feel any small tremors in the coming weeks just keep calm its just the guys at the build house charging all of the magnets housed in the 96 POUND motor.

For your viewing entertainment a few pics and maybe even a few videos down the road will be view-able.  

For now here are the coils:  

The itty bitty coil is the Ethos which is 4 layers has windings that are ~2 3/8 inches tall and uses 19 gauge alluminum wire and is rated for 1,800 watts RMS

The other one is the Magnetar SPL coil!!!!!!  8 layers that has a winding height of almost 4 inches.  The OD of this coil is nearly 3.5 inches.  And uses 15 gauge wire.  Yes the magnet wire used on this coil is bigger than the speaker wire running to most speakers.

DSC_0173_zps6f83b0f5.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsea4cf557.jpg

DSC_0175_zpsf6f62014.jpg

DSC_0180_zps433d82c3.jpg

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

That good sir...is massive..

Will this just be an spl sub?

Will this just be an spl sub?

I would consider the motor with this coil set up strictly SPL.  It should have, and I say should have as it hasn't been assembled yet, the strongest motor ever put into production.  Per FEA modeling it will have a BL of ~55 at one ohm.  If the factory in China assembled it using the correct magnets (it uses two different grades of ferrite) the 55 figure should be close as my FEA programs are extremely accurate.  Per Precision Econowind this is one of if not the biggest coils they have ever built for a subwoofer.

The "daily" coil set up is still extremely strong.  It should have a BL of ~22-25 TM at one ohm.  At this figure it is still as strong as some Neo drivers on the market.   

Good golly that has to take a ton of power to move that coil and cone assembly. 

Interest in more info...

When available of course.

Good golly that has to take a ton of power to move that coil and cone assembly. 

It's kinda like saying you have to floor a Dodge Viper to get the big 13 inch wide tires to spin over.  For reference the motor force to moving mass ratio on the Ethos is ~1 to 2.8.  The motor force to moving mass of the Magnetar will be in the neighborhood of ~3 to 1.  To put that back into the Viper analogy it would be equivalent to a ~10,000 horse viper.  

If we are able to get ten hard spiders on the sub which I doubt, it will take ~5,000 watts rms to push the cone 30mm one way in a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 60 hertz. The 1w/1m sensitivity rating should be around 102 db.  This is it coned to a 15. 10 hard spiders is equivalent to needing to set nearly 100 pounds to move the cone 10mm one way.  A 300 pound guy could literally stand on the cone and not bottom the coil out. 

yeah sooo i think im going to need these :D

What sizes will you be ordering first?

4 twelves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12's my friend will work.  The motor is 1/4 inch shy of a 12 inch cut out.

giant coil and tuned in

That is beastly!!!!I have a 12 cube wall waiting for 4 twelves as we speak with 6000 RMS per sub. Any ETA?

Edited by shizza1973

That is beastly!!!!I have a 12 cube wall waiting for 4 twelves as we speak with 6000 RMS per sub. Any ETA?

If all goes well, and I am able to find some with ample power to abuse it for a month or so (I know a guy that knows a guy that has a NS1 in a Lincoln) I will do a special pre-order group buy for the first 50 drivers at a REALLY low price compared to the competition.  IF I am able to get 50 drivers pre-sold by the end of January then I'd expect them to be shipping to customers for June.   

If all goes well, and I am able to find some with ample power to abuse it for a month or so (I know a guy that knows a guy that has a NS1 in a Lincoln) I will do a special pre-order group buy for the first 50 drivers at a REALLY low price compared to the competition.  IF I am able to get 50 drivers pre-sold by the end of January then I'd expect them to be shipping to customers for June.   

So I should get 4 Ethos 12's  in the mean time.

You are establishing a name for yourself quick! This looks to be badass.

well I know the Ethos performs thanks to Jon's review and it is in stock and the Magnetar is just in proto stage. And the Magnetar and the Ethos are two different monsters.  I personally would not play the magnetar daily its just not designed to musically.  The huge motor force will create a massive ripple in response around tuning.  But some like that type of sound, there are plenty of guys that are running other "SPL" subs daily on music.  Only time will tell how it performs.  It's extremely hard to model something like this or get a general idea of what will happen because nothing this strong (that any of my contacts are aware of) has been done.

IT'S NOT THE SIZE THAT COUNTS, IT'S HOW YA USE IT!

Boy I wish.  I've been working with the help of Pat Turnmire (my transducer engineer go to guru and klippel tester) and Nick Wright (my supplier and build house) for nearly two years on the Ethos and several other samples that are waiting for assembly and testing.  And I'm still working on getting  a few final Large Signal parameters and other nic-nak stuff published.  

when they are ready.. i may be interested.. but not in 8 of them though.. I have over 60,000w of power on tap if you want to get serious.

Boy I wish.  I've been working with the help of Pat Turnmire (my transducer engineer go to guru and klippel tester) and Nick Wright (my supplier and build house) for nearly two years on the Ethos and several other samples that are waiting for assembly and testing.  And I'm still working on getting  a few final Large Signal parameters and other nic-nak stuff published.  

With the way you conduct business, others are going to be hard pressed to get noticed :P If my hours are bumped up, I am really hoping to get an Ethos for my birthday :)

For the Ethos how many ounces or lbs is themotor?   What size isthe spider pack?  What type of coil?

For the Ethos how many ounces or lbs is themotor?   What size isthe spider pack?  What type of coil?

I think the motor is right around 50 lbs iirc.

What's the difference in the spl vs daily coil? I guess I missed it. Would it be possible to get the motors alone? I'm smelling some 18" ti backs.