Quentin Jarrell

THE EPIC MAGNETAR THREAD

For the Ethos how many ounces or lbs is themotor?   What size isthe spider pack?  What type of coil?

Parameters are found here:     http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/60471-ethos-15-parameters-and-klippel-graphs/

12 inch sub weighs about 60 pounds.  Size, if you mean physical OD, is 8 inch.  Actual CMS Klippel (yes I actually test and post my Klippel results) graph can be found in the link.  The coil is aluminum. dual 2 and dual one ohm.

I am still working on getting all this info together.  I get a little bid of A.D.D. and take on too many projects at one time.  The 12 inch version is going out for klippel testing this week however the 15 was spot on with FEA so the projected 1.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 32hz should be the mean recommended enclosure.  By the way I use warm large signal theile small parameters rather than the normal "small" signal as "large" signal is a more accurate representation of the transducer.  You will see that Re rises to over 6 ohms when warm.  This is typical of all transducers however for reference this is a dual two ohm sub and should be wired as so.  Also if you run DB drag you can see the power compression graph and see power compression on the sub is only about 2.25 DB

What's the difference in the spl vs daily coil? I guess I missed it. Would it be possible to get the motors alone? I'm smelling some 18" ti backs. 

You won't find anyone with a coil to fit it.  And they wouldn't be able to order just a few precision wouldn't do it as making a handful especially something this size in small quantities.  For reference this coil cost me 75 bucks so if you add the typical 100-150 percent mark up you will be spending at least $150 on just the coil even if they could get their hands on a couple.  Besides the fact you won't gain anything but looks as the typical parts being used don't offer anymore throw.  My soft parts have been over 40mm outward with no physical damage. This has been confirmed with a klippel analyzer.  Besides once you get past 30mm the motor starts running out of motor strength with spl coil.  The daily coil offers about 55mm one way.  But proper baskets and softparts are still at least a year away to utilize the full 55mm one way linear throw. 

spl coil has a 50mm winding length the spl has a 95mm lond winding length 

What's the difference in the spl vs daily coil? I guess I missed it. Would it be possible to get the motors alone? I'm smelling some 18" ti backs. 

You won't find anyone with a coil to fit it.  And they wouldn't be able to order just a few precision wouldn't do it as making a handful especially something this size in small quantities.  For reference this coil cost me 75 bucks so if you add the typical 100-150 percent mark up you will be spending at least $150 on just the coil even if they could get their hands on a couple.  Besides the fact you won't gain anything but looks as the typical parts being used don't offer anymore throw.  My soft parts have been over 40mm outward with no physical damage. This has been confirmed with a klippel analyzer.  Besides once you get past 30mm the motor starts running out of motor strength with spl coil.  The daily coil offers about 55mm one way.  But proper baskets and softparts are still at least a year away to utilize the full 55mm one way linear throw. 

spl coil has a 50mm winding length the spl has a 95mm lond winding length 

Holy Jumpin Jesus....that is crazy!

Edited by Leedogg

Will this just be an spl sub?

I would consider the motor with this coil set up strictly SPL.  It should have, and I say should have as it hasn't been assembled yet, the strongest motor ever put into production.  Per FEA modeling it will have a BL of ~55 at one ohm.  If the factory in China assembled it using the correct magnets (it uses two different grades of ferrite) the 55 figure should be close as my FEA programs are extremely accurate.  Per Precision Econowind this is one of if not the biggest coils they have ever built for a subwoofer.

The "daily" coil set up is still extremely strong.  It should have a BL of ~22-25 TM at one ohm.  At this figure it is still as strong as some Neo drivers on the market.   

If this can work on 3000-7000w and provide good results, with a 12" cone, I've just found my BTL replacement :) 

If you happen to need another big hitter from the West Coast I have a friend who lives in Seattle I am sure I can get to test them out for ya.

J

Jeremy Boyd. I would expect he'd be willing to give em a shot.

J

Mouth drops.

J

I got to meet him....very nice suv.  Loud and clean looking.  He beat me in the 3x we had the day after finals.  Seems like a good guy too.

J

I got to meet him....very nice suv.  Loud and clean looking.  He beat me in the 3x we had the day after finals.  Seems like a good guy too.

Did he give you a demo on both his SQ and SPL setups? He's a very knowldgeable and humble guy.

J

I didnt get a chance to sit in it but heard him giving demos.  He did enter spl and sq.  He was having battery problems so he didn't push it too hard.  His hood did come loose at one point lol.

Next time you see him at a show go get one. Let him know his buddy Jordan from AZ says hello!!!

J

A 15 version is on its way to me via FedEx.  Next week maybe a few pics and if y'all are good enough a free air video or two.  Gonna make a test burp box and see what it'll do on low power.

what is the current xmech potential of this proto?

what is the current xmech potential of this proto?

SPL coil is 45mm and daily coil is 62.5mm xmech

12 spoke basket allows for 45mm xmech

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

Hell yea!!

Send me a few.... No really.

This sample is a 15 version with the SPL coil. The distance from the top of the top top plate to the bottom of the bottom top plate is 75mm (~3"). The coil overhanges above and below that distance 10mm. Think of it at an overhung sub with a 3 inch thick top plate in this configuration.

Pretty massive man. Interested to hear your thoughts after testing. Though looming at it now I doubt it would fit in my enclosure.