oakteg21

why is there no love for PSI here??

Just been wondering why there is no love for them here??? Lol havent had any of their products they seem to be good and at a very good price but the curiosity is killing me at this point and decided to make this question here, wondering is there a dark history of why it seems like they arent very welcomed here in this forum???

There is no real engineering involved, the sub is basically just thrown together. Do they know the t/s parameters of what they build? You can't just throw parts together and just expect something good

Very similar,  but they don't try to throw out bullshit t/s parameters or lie to their customers.

Ohhh ok that makes sense nowonder i get that vibe when people here talk about PSI thanks for answering the question.

No problem. You never know till you ask ;)

Many of us have had issues with their crap tastic soft parts. I myself and another forum member had some recones go completely soft after about a month of play.

I've never had a slight problem with any of my psi products! David is a fantastic guy! David knows his stuff. Not everybody has had problems. Don't let a few psi haters ruin it...

I've never had a slight problem with any of my psi products! David is a fantastic guy! David knows his stuff. Not everybody has had problems. Don't let a few psi haters ruin it...

I dont know if thats the right thing to say but anywho, im not just looking at my options carefully before making any final decision as im on a budget and just was curious that is why i opened the thread to clear up some of the bad vibe i have got from this forum regarding that company to see the reasoning behind it.

Just wanted to chime in and say that my recone for my 15 Fi BTL UFO motor served me great. No issues. Rated at 2500 RMS it took that and was asking for more. Definitely buy again.

Just wanted to chime in and say that my recone for my 15 Fi BTL UFO motor served me great. No issues. Rated at 2500 RMS it took that and was asking for more. Definitely buy again.

?????

i think he is saying he had psi recone his sub, and it works great.

I think its funny that they take a sub like an Fi Q or SSD and throw garbage parts in it.  WHAM!  Give you a power handling quote of 3k.  They just rebuild, and they insist you send your sub in because they build with what they have laying around.

I use their store to buy terminals, baskets, even glue sometimes because they usually have it at my door in 2-3 days.

I don't understand why people wouldn't get their woofers reconed with the parts from the manufacturer!  They made the sub; they know best!

I don't understand why people wouldn't get their woofers reconed with the parts from the manufacturer! 

Agreed. If there is an OEM recone available for your sub, rather stupid to use anything else. This whole frankenwoofer thing that caught on with the internet crowd is one of the many ridiculous fads going on right now. Having a "custom" sub isn't "cool"...in most instances all you end up with is a turd of a sub that doesn't have any engineering behind it's design or even have known TS parameters.

IIRC there was that whole RE fiasco too.

Wow, so much hate. I've had two subs with PSI recones, and besides my current Sundown X-12, they were both the best subs I've ever owned. One was an RE MT 12 and the other a RD Alpha 15. David is a great guy and has answered questions for me concerning potential purchases quickly and sometimes after hours. Quality products at a great price that don't take weeks or months to get built and shipped, like some of the OEM manufacturers y'all are referring to.

I don't understand why people wouldn't get their woofers reconed with the parts from the manufacturer! 

Agreed. If there is an OEM recone available for your sub, rather stupid to use anything else. This whole frankenwoofer thing that caught on with the internet crowd is one of the many ridiculous fads going on right now. Having a "custom" sub isn't "cool"...in most instances all you end up with is a turd of a sub that doesn't have any engineering behind it's design or even have known TS parameters.

This is what I've been trying to tell them the whole time. Just because the sub plays music again doesn't make it good. Does David provide T/S parameters for his recones? Does he know the T/S before they do the recones? Its just a bunch of parts thrown together without any engineering behind it, like said before.

Wow, so much hate. I've had two subs with PSI recones, and besides my current Sundown X-12, they were both the best subs I've ever owned. One was an RE MT 12 and the other a RD Alpha 15. David is a great guy and has answered questions for me concerning potential purchases quickly and sometimes after hours. Quality products at a great price that don't take weeks or months to get built and shipped, like some of the OEM manufacturers y'all are referring to.

How is it hate? I can understand if they did not have some sort of reasoning, but they do. Some people rather have a woofer work as it was originally intended to work, there are no gaurentees that you will have anywhere near the same sub if you go with different parts.

As with EVERYTHING in audio, buying an unknown is stupid. Sure, you may get lucky but considering how scientifically everything else can be compared hopping on to the I want something different JUST and only JUST to be different is absurd.

I think PSI is a better choice for woofers that don't have recones available.  JL, Alpine, kicker, sound stream, exc.   Of course they know RE, cause its the old creator of RE and the XXXv1-3 right?  But still, they won't make you a drop in, they want to have you to send it in. 

Am I saying they can't measure coil gap, height of gap vs coil and make something work?  No.  They can, but your PSI sp4 is not better than Fi's sp4 reconed woofer, just because you are burning up the tinsel leads by feeding 4k to it with f'd up electrical.

I have a GCON 15 that I love, one of my good friends was also very impressed with it but didn't like the wait time. After some searching and comparing he decided to go with a platform 1 15". It has been in his car for over a year now with 1800rms on it and is holding up fine and sounds great. Would i purchase a psi sub for myself......yes. would I have them re-cone a Fi built woofer with mix 'n match parts...........no.

I have a platform 3 and it has nothing on the zcon but rated @ 2500 rms

I think PSI is a better choice for woofers that don't have recones available.  JL, Alpine, kicker, sound stream, exc.   Of course they know RE, cause its the old creator of RE and the XXXv1-3 right?  But still, they won't make you a drop in, they want to have you to send it in. 

Am I saying they can't measure coil gap, height of gap vs coil and make something work?  No.  They can, but your PSI sp4 is not better than Fi's sp4 reconed woofer, just because you are burning up the tinsel leads by feeding 4k to it with f'd up electrical.

David was part of RE, but don't be fooled, he didn't design or invent anything.  He still does not to this day.  He knows enough to be dangerous and make a buck.