Sign in to follow this  
EPerez

Replace JUST surround?

Is it possible to just replace the surround on a sub, let's say Xcon? Can you do it without having to actually do a full recone?

I don't know about an xcon, but I've done it before many times on older JL subs.

Looking at the Xcon recone kit I have now it seems like I could but I don't know if ssa sells just surround.

Aaron help me!! Lol

I believe the way fi gets their surrounds they are already glued to the cone.

could try direct speaker supplies

Even if you can just get the surround, which I don't think would be horribly difficult, you'll still need to follow most of the steps involved in reconing.  Once the surround is cut and cleaned off the basket and cone, the cone is going to be able to rock side to side and can be put back together misaligned.  You'll still have to take the dust cap off and put shims in the gap to keep the coil centered in the gap while you attach the new surround.  I've never done it with an XCON, or anything nearly as large but I've replaced surrounds on a bunch of speakers I've picked up over the years from garage/yard sales, second hand stores, etc.  I got the surrounds in kits from Parts Express but those kits don't have the kinds of surrounds these subs use so unfortunately they're not an option to get them from.

I wasn't sure how many times you've done things like this and I wanted to be sure you knew it had to be centered up before gluing it.

negative ghost rider

DAMN, Nicky has returned!!!

Okk guys thanks for he quick responses!