Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Air Bag Disconnect rules, legality, info, etc..

I have been trying to research this but the answers i get are from one extreme to another.

I have been told not to talk to my insurance company about this so i do not know who to actually talk to, ask, etc to assume the information i get is accurate.

So, hopefully someone on here and tell me or lead me to the answers.

I am curious about disconnecting the Air Bag Compressor on the top passenger side of the car.

IF this thing deploys, it will only cause more harm than good.

I'll leave the driver side connected and steering wheel connected, just passenger side compressor i want off.

I get answers from insurance wont cover me if i get in a wreck.

It's legal to disconnect without worry

I will get fined $2500 if insurance finds out or if police find out

If i unplug the compressor, there is a high chance the air bags WILL deploy

So you see.. i give up on researching this myself.

Why not contact the insurance company but not tell them who you are? That way you can get a first hand answer, and it won't affect your account at all.

What kind of Car?  My dad does body work- and they remove and reinstall bags all the time. 

danp, i'm on the phone right now secretly with the insurance company... 

So far, it IS legal to still have it insured.. Waiting for more info.. hold on.. 

Edit.. other things apply.. just a sec

Edited by shizzzon

Ok, this is based on policy rules and I was talking with Progressive about this-

They said to be insured, if your STATE still requires Emission testing every year, then Air Bags must be in full working order during that test.

If your current STATE does not do these tests anymore, then you can be insured even with them fully disabled.

Adjuster information-

I only talked with a property adjuster.

So far, there is nothing in their policy which states your claim would be voided under any circumstance by having any or all of them disconnected.

They are contacting me back in a few days to discuss with personal bodily injury adjusters and manager about this issue.

danp, i'm on the phone right now secretly with the insurance company... 

So far, it IS legal to still have it insured.. Waiting for more info.. hold on.. 

Edit.. other things apply.. just a sec

Yeah with something like that, and with so much wrong information on the internet I would prefer to hear it directly from the company seems like the safest bet. Hopefully it never comes down to needing to file an insurance claim though.