hayestc

New Component Speakers <$250

I currently have a Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe and am looking for a new set of component speakers to place in my doors that are $250 or less.  I am going to place the tweeter very close to the speaker about 4-6 inches away and the woofer will be in the stock location.  I am going to deaden the doors, at a minimum around the speakers, and I want an equal listening experience for passenger and driver so the tweets will be aimed at the center console at listening level.  So in terms of off/on axis performance, I am pretty sure this is considered off axis.

The woofer size for my doors is 6.5" and the tweeter size just needs to be less than 2 inches as a custom mount is going to built and placed in the door pocket.

I listen to all types of music, however I listen to very hard rock (Skillet, Red, Fireflight, Thousand Foot Krutch, Pillar, ect...) at very loud volumes.

What I am looking for from these speakers is being able to accurately reproduce music that involves the Kick Drum, Bass Guitar, and Double Bass as well as can be expected while also articulating the highs, Violin Electric/Acoustic Guitar, without being harsh at resonably high volumes as I need to overpower my LOUD exhuast. NOTE:  I HATE harsh tweeters, they drive me nuts and give me head-aches.

I will eventually get another set of the components to fill the back deck, where I have a 6x9 speaker hole, but assume that I have no Subwoofer(I value space over subwoofers) or rear fill (no funds yet) when giving me advice.

Any ideas?

I should also note that I have been looking into the RE Audio XXX6.5C and the Sundown 6.5 components.  I am not sure which one, if any would be the best for what I am looking at.

choice of front speakers is pretty subjective, you need to hear them in person to decide which sound best. unfortunately, speakers mounted to a display in a shop will not sound the same when installed in a car (but you can probably determine your tweeter preference).  for the music you're listening to you'll need a set that can handle midbass frequencies pretty well. strong midbass also requires deadening the doors correctly. you can read up on proper deadening techinique on sounddeadenershowdown.com

installing the tweeter close the mid is probably a good idea. you could try other locations out as well. making assumption about tweeter aiming prior to installing and testing is incorrect. no way you can make any conclusion concerning performance beforehand. 

loud exhaust will not help the situation at all. Its like watching a movie in a noisy movie theater, doesn't make any sense. also, I would not bother buying rear speakers, this is another area that will only hurt the install.

If you're concerned with space in the truck you could do an infinite baffle subwoofer install. this would involved a particular type/designed subwoofer(s) mounted the the rear deck via a baffle. 

I really cannot listen to any of the brands I am interested in.  No local shops sell RE Audio, Sundown, ID, ect.  They only have JL, Alpine, Infinity, Pioneer, and non of the higher end stuff on display.

I am really just looking for something that has a nice full sound and gets loud before it begins to distort, assume no amplifier clipping and other electrical anomolys.

From what I have read here, you should start to focus on serious deadening. That loud exhaust won't help.

You have lots of work to do on that car if you don't want to use a subwoofer. ;)

Good luck, and show us pics ...

It would probably help to know what you've heard before and liked. It was touched on before that everyone has a different preference when it comes to their front stage. I, personally am a fan of laid back tweeters and tend to go for a sound that's somewhere between listening to a Hi-Fi system at home and hearing it performed live in front of you.

That being said, I haven't heard any complaints when it comes to the sound quality from Sundown's components. The RE XXX perform very well all around, but I'm not sure you'll have the mounting depth for them. My personal picks so far have been the Rainbow SLC, JBL P660C, JBL MS, PHD FB 6.1 kit, Focal PS (about the only Focal aside from the Be series that I actually enjoy), HAT Imagine (can be found used within your budget), and even the Incriminator 6.5" components.

Making your car quiet will be easier than making your stereo loud to overcome it.  Focus there first.

Making your car quiet will be easier than making your stereo loud to overcome it. Focus there first.

X2

It would probably help to know what you've heard before and liked. It was touched on before that everyone has a different preference when it comes to their front stage. I, personally am a fan of laid back tweeters and tend to go for a sound that's somewhere between listening to a Hi-Fi system at home and hearing it performed live in front of you.

That being said, I haven't heard any complaints when it comes to the sound quality from Sundown's components. The RE XXX perform very well all around, but I'm not sure you'll have the mounting depth for them. My personal picks so far have been the Rainbow SLC, JBL P660C, JBL MS, PHD FB 6.1 kit, Focal PS (about the only Focal aside from the Be series that I actually enjoy), HAT Imagine (can be found used within your budget), and even the Incriminator 6.5" components.

You sir are hitting my listening style RIGHT ON THE HEAD.  This is actually one of the reasons I am so attracted to he RE's because their tweeter is so soft.

I have spoken with some installers and they have told me that I will have no problems with the depth of the RE as my door is deep and the window does not make it to the speaker location.

One thing I have found is many of the speakers you are recommending exceed my budget by $50+ and I know that is not much but the RE's are 219 and the Sundown's are 199. 

Aside from mounting depth I have not heard anything bad about the RE's, does anyone have these or know of someone that does and has any complaints?

Thanks!

those RE XXX components sound good.  I've heard them in a coupe at stand still.  I don't know if they are 250$ good however.  Look into kappa infinity perfect, they are a good price for the sound quality they produce at right power.

You sir are hitting my listening style RIGHT ON THE HEAD.  This is actually one of the reasons I am so attracted to he RE's because their tweeter is so soft.

I have spoken with some installers and they have told me that I will have no problems with the depth of the RE as my door is deep and the window does not make it to the speaker location.

One thing I have found is many of the speakers you are recommending exceed my budget by $50+ and I know that is not much but the RE's are 219 and the Sundown's are 199. 

Aside from mounting depth I have not heard anything bad about the RE's, does anyone have these or know of someone that does and has any complaints?

Thanks!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12260_JBL-P660C.html

Currently out of stock, but I would keep my eye on these guys. They are JBL Authorized as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45048_JBL-MS-62C.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=7334834&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

Use the Make An Offer  and put $250 on the price tag. Tested and accepted at 249.99. You may be able to get them even cheaper than that. I LOVE these tweeters. Honestly, for metal domes, they are some of the most pleasant to listen to I've come across yet. Only downer is they're not as comfortable playing below 100Hz with authority as midrange was the emphasis and where they also excel. To remedy that, I replaced the woofers with PHD FB 6.1s and they do great off the JBL passive crossover and tweet.

Thanks!

Currently out of stock, but I would keep my eye on these guys. They are JBL Authorized as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45048_JBL-MS-62C.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=7334834&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

Use the Make An Offer  and put $250 on the price tag. Tested and accepted at 249.99. You may be able to get them even cheaper than that. I LOVE these tweeters. Honestly, for metal domes, they are some of the most pleasant to listen to I've come across yet. Only downer is they're not as comfortable playing below 100Hz with authority as midrange was the emphasis and where they also excel. To remedy that, I replaced the woofers with PHD FB 6.1s and they do great off the JBL passive crossover and tweet.

Would you say the JBL-P660C is better on the low end?

You sir are hitting my listening style RIGHT ON THE HEAD. This is actually one of the reasons I am so attracted to he RE's because their tweeter is so soft.

Thanks!

Use the Make An Offer and put $250 on the price tag. Tested and accepted at 249.99. You may be able to get them even cheaper than that. I LOVE these tweeters. Honestly, for metal domes, they are some of the most pleasant to listen to I've come across yet. Only downer is they're not as comfortable playing below 100Hz with authority as midrange was the emphasis and where they also excel. To remedy that, I replaced the woofers with PHD FB 6.1s and they do great off the JBL passive crossover and tweet.

Would you say the JBL-P660C is better on the low end?

Yes, I would. Though once you go into midrange and up, the MS definitely comes out ahead. I would say if you have a good sub stage, get the MS. If not, go for the P660C.

I think I have been convinced to go with the JBL P660C components through BestBuy if they will pricematch, which I think they will.

For an amplifier, I am thinking to go with the Pioneer GM-D8604 price matched through BestBuy.  I want this because it is Class D and uses less electricity.  The lower the strain on the electrical system the less likely to have clipping from voltage drop. I have an "20" Farad Power Acoustic Cap from my old system that I am going to install as well.

As for using BestBuy, if anything goes wrong I can take it back to them in person as they are local.  This helps me greatly.  Plus I can abuse everything above with thier extended warranty and not have to worry about anything as it would get replaced at no cost to me.

Anyone have experience with the above amplifier? Or a better alternative for less than $150.

Trying to do this whole project for less than $500 including install, which is why I will be doing it myself.

Also, on the making my car quiet, I am looking into ways of making it a bit less loud, however I like having a loud car.  I just want to kill the drone so that I can kick it and hear my engine come to life but when I am just cruising I can listen to other things.

BB is being hard to deal with.  They won't price match as the parts are not sold DIRECTLY by Amazon just through amazon or FulFulled by Amazon is not good enough.  SO CLOSE!

BB is being hard to deal with.  They won't price match as the parts are not sold DIRECTLY by Amazon just through amazon or FulFulled by Amazon is not good enough.  SO CLOSE!

Sounds like Best Buy in a nutshell to me.

Also, on the making my car quiet, I am looking into ways of making it a bit less loud, however I like having a loud car.  I just want to kill the drone so that I can kick it and hear my engine come to life but when I am just cruising I can listen to other things.

Then forego the stereo. Can't have both. Stupid to try both at the same time. One way you "could" is to mic your exhaust and run it in parallel through your stereo.

Thanks all for your help!  I will be ordering this week.  I am going to create a build log as well, although I should note this is going to be a SLOW build as my wife and I are due to have our first on Nov 26th. It could be earlier or a little later but my time for car play is running short and to me this is the BEST reason for the time to run short.

Thanks all for your help! I will be ordering this week. I am going to create a build log as well, although I should note this is going to be a SLOW build as my wife and I are due to have our first on Nov 26th. It could be earlier or a little later but my time for car play is running short and to me this is the BEST reason for the time to run short.

Congrats! I have an almost 6-year old and a 2-month old, so I feel your pain. Proper budgeting of time will be needed and you will want a break every now and then, so now you have a project to distract yourself with. Good luck