jfoodstamp

Did I buy the wrong Incriminator woofer?

Just like the title says..... Did I buy the wrong Incriminator woofer? I bought 2 Incriminator Judge 18's to install in my wall. I have the airspace for them but I will primarily be using these for daily applications? Will they work for me? Ive owned the 2009 death row woofers will they sound similar or better or did I just purchase 2 burp woofers? should I be worried and try to switch my order?

IA dont make burp only subs.

I hope not and as long as it sounds as good as my previous death rows, 187's or lethal injections I'll be happy. It just seems that in their marketing materials they only mention that the motor could  be used for daily implying to me that I may have do  something different to make it play for daily applications.

I've had the warden 21 and it played daily on music really nice.

Off topic, but nice username OP

The Judge would be viewed in a sense like how the BTL N3s were.. 

They were pushed to be "SPL drivers" but SPL isn't burp.

People get that mixed up a lot for some reason.

Nobody really wants to make a burp sub anymore because there's hardly any profit in doing so.

So.. the BTL N3 was NOT a burp sub and neither is this.

It has potential to have a non-flat response.

"SPL drivers" geared toward competition formats need to focus on single frequencies primarily but still be musical.

Many formats require averaging and you can't use old school burp subs on formats like today on extreme high power.

So, yes, this sub will play music.

However, if you require ideal response out of it, i would talk to IA about getting some options added to it before it's built.

Edited by shizzzon

Nobody really wants to make a burp sub anymore because there's hardly any profit in doing so.

"SPL drivers" geared toward competition formats need to focus on single frequencies primarily but still be musical.

Many formats require averaging and you can't use old school burp subs on formats like today on extreme high power.

However, if you require ideal response out of it, i would talk to IA about getting some options added to it before it's built.

Thank you  Shizzon. I appreciate that. I just had a horrible feeling like I was buying an old school MTX RFL woofer and if you remember those were strictly a burp woofer

Just make sure your box is stout. I was talking to nick today an he mentioned they weigh about 80 pounds.

Thank you  Shizzon. I appreciate that. I just had a horrible feeling like I was buying an old school MTX RFL woofer and if you remember those were strictly a burp woofer

Yea i remember.. the TRF.

The RE MTs were suppose to be too.  they were a little more lenient but still not lasting in musical setups.  Many damaged MTs came about in that era.

I had the same doubts when I ordered an 18" Death Penalty (thanks Black & Blue sale), but realized that, more or less, it really comes down to the enclosure on how a sub is going to respond. Take the time on good enclosure design and the rest will follow. That being said, I've only ever run single 10 or 12" setups in a trunk car, so an 18" 2KW groundpounder sub is going to be well beyond my daily experience level. Should still be a great match run at 4ohms off a pair of Zed Minotaur, though ;)

And when it comes to the box design I can help you out with that if you'd like.

Have the T/S been posted for these subs yet? Just curious

I haven't seen them yet. Been eagerly awaiting the new Death Penalty specs myself. And photos of the new Flatlyne...

I haven't seen them yet. Been eagerly awaiting the new Death Penalty specs myself. And photos of the new Flatlyne...

I know with the older model IA subs you had to call to get parameters and box recommendations.

Yeah, they like to hide the T/S. They'll give you enclosure recommendations all day long, but never the T/S

Hmm if this guy needs help with a box design ill see if they're gonna be buttholes and not give me t/s specs. I'm sure if I told them it was to calculate the port area they would.

I know with the older model IA subs you had to call to get parameters and box recommendations.

That's what I was thinking. Box recommendations are normally on SSA in their vendor forum, but haven't been updated for a while. I think Nick is just too overloaded to come here and update them right now.

Yeah, they like to hide the T/S. They'll give you enclosure recommendations all day long, but never the T/S

Keeps other companies from cloning them (cough Skar cough). In terms of business practice, I think it's smart, but sucks for us as the consumer.

Hmm if this guy needs help with a box design ill see if they're gonna be buttholes and not give me t/s specs. I'm sure if I told them it was to calculate the port area they would.

Wow so they are butt holes because they don't post T/S specs for reasons but they will email you them if you ask. Recently they been busy with World Finals, releasing a whole new lineup, etc. I just got T/S specs for subs from them through email, with no issues.

Wow so they are butt holes because they don't post T/S specs for reasons but they will email you them if you ask. Recently they been busy with World Finals, releasing a whole new lineup, etc. I just got T/S specs for subs from them through email, with no issues.

I actually got an email from Nick this morning. At least for the Death Penalty, he hasn't had a chance to extract T/S yet, which is why they're not posted. I'm sure once his schedule frees up a bit, he'll be able to let us know. In all honesty, I've seen more posted T/S for the current run of subs than I've seen for any of the previous. What's ironic is there's more T/S for the Flatlyne, yet no published pictures.

I'm pretty sure they don't list T/S specs because they don't want people designing enclosures off the values. Reason being the enclosure software being used is modeling with small signals in open environment, and the jump to a vehicle cabin and large signal greatly changes the frequency response. So people would be better off using IA's recommended enclosure specs that are a result of both modeling and real world tests.

But knowing the T/S specs is still useful if it's in the right hands, thus they have no problem giving it out via email.

At least that is my guess.

Edited by ssh

I'm pretty sure they don't list T/S specs because they don't want people designing enclosures off the values. Reason being the enclosure software being used is modeling with small signals in open environment, and the jump to a vehicle cabin and large signal greatly changes the frequency response. So people would be better off using IA's recommended enclosure specs that are a result of both modeling and real world tests.

But knowing the T/S specs is still useful if it's in the right hands, thus they have no problem giving it out via email.

I agree to a certain extent, but some of us want to know how FR is affected as enclosure size goes up or down. When you give us a min/max/average volume, it doesn't tell us how efficient or how flat/low it will extend, leading me as a consumer to want the largest enclosure, but going in blind when I have my builder make an enclosure. As mentioned before, he doesn't have T/S for my 18" DP at the moment which is why I'm thankful the build won't be taking place until the middle of next year. Hopefully he has them by then.

I agree to a certain extent, but some of us want to know how FR is affected as enclosure size goes up or down. When you give us a min/max/average volume, it doesn't tell us how efficient or how flat/low it will extend, leading me as a consumer to want the largest enclosure, but going in blind when I have my builder make an enclosure. As mentioned before, he doesn't have T/S for my 18" DP at the moment which is why I'm thankful the build won't be taking place until the middle of next year. Hopefully he has them by then.

I never said it was perfect or optimal. :P

I just went to the IA site and I didn't see recommended enclosure specs for any of their drivers, or if it's listed than it's not very easy to find.

just to let everybody know I talked to Incriminator today and they said  that The Judge will work for daily with no modifications

Why are you twisting what I'm saying?? I said they would be if they didn't give me any t/s specs if I called and asked.

"Yeah, they like to hide the T/S. They'll give you enclosure recommendations all day long, but never the T/S" quote from chILL post # 15

^supposedly they never give out T/S specs. So if I called and they didn't want to give them out, then yea buttholes lol

I have no problem calling and I didn't know if they actually would since I never needed to call IA for t/s specs. Do you understand why I said that now?