ncc74656

information on lead acid/agm/gell

I am looking for some real world tests done on the 3 types of batteries that show current draws to voltage drops, charge rates, how they funciton and how they differ from one another in a more technical way than "one is wet and one is dry"

i seem to recall reading some where that AGM could deliever greater power in a shorter time than a standard lead acid but i cant find anything confirming or deneying this on google.

thanks.

Instead of approaching the different battery types like that, look at it like this-

If any battery is going to be INSIDE the vehicle, it needs to be AGM for safety reasons.

AGMs are built to withstand vibrations and to prevent gassing unlike a typical Lead Acid battery.

AGMs are still lead acid but completely sealed and much safer.

Gel batteries have ultra strict charging tolerances that cannot be sustained on a car audio system via an alternator.

So.. AGM is the only way to go for safety and long life.

None of it is going to matter unless you are competing.

Standard gel and lead acid batteries can be used in car, may car manufacturers put them in trunks without issues, they just have a small vent to the exterior of the car for excess gas. Although they do not give the same amount of performance for their size. If you're short on cash get the biggest one and make sure you vent it to the outside and you'll be fine.

i had read that AGM's needed to be charged with a dedicated system and should be charged over night when you park your car. optimas claim to run just fine off the vehicle alternator and i have read peoples claims that they used AGM's for years on factory alt systems with no issues.

im just not sure what is manufacture hype, marketing bull, and real facts about the system. i searched google and youtube and found some information but not everything i was after.

ANY battery needs to be manually charged if the alternator can't keep up with the load.

But under normal usage, that is false about requiring to charge agm just for the hell of it.

i had read that AGM's needed to be charged with a dedicated system and should be charged over night when you park your car. optimas claim to run just fine off the vehicle alternator and i have read peoples claims that they used AGM's for years on factory alt systems with no issues.

im just not sure what is manufacture hype, marketing bull, and real facts about the system. i searched google and youtube and found some information but not everything i was after.

No you don't have to unless your system demands will drain the batteries to where if you're not driving enough to fully charge them with the alternator. When I had my 6 g31 batteries my alt wasn't enough even though it was 320a unless the drive was an hour or so more when they were low so every so often I'd throw them on the charger to put a good charge. By no means is it necessary but it can improve the batteries life.

ok, got it.