jonbearsmt

amp dyno

I don't really have an opinion of the Amp Dyno, or any products made by your company as I have never used any.

I would caution on a few of the points made in this thread though, the main one being head room and the burst testing.

I worked for Audioprism in the mid to late 90's building tube amplifiers, pre-amplifiers and FM antennae.  I did a lot of modification, measuring and design work while there.  We tested many designs, both our own and many others.  We built extremely high end, well measuring audio equipment.  One of the things we were know for was complete solid state regulation of all power supplies (9 in each of our mono-blocks).  This leads to an overall design with little headroom, as all full class-A amplifiers have (I have owned several Krell and PASS Lab amplifiers).  These are also some of the arguably best sounding amplifiers in the existence, Stereophile rated our Audioprism Mana reference mono-blocks as Class A back in the day, or best of the best (in the world) in other words...  This is why headroom is of little use to sound quality, unless you are constantly pushing the voltage output limitation of the amplifier.  I guess my point is, don't get hung up on headroom.  As Carver, NAD etc are OK amplifiers, they have never been know to sound great.  On the flip side burst testing is done on many amplifier reviews out of the car audio realm and is a useful indication of maximum output levels, but not of sound quality. 

The nice thing about testing into a good, non-reactive stable load is that measuring is easy, and it makes sense on why you put your Amp Dyno together.  I also understand the cost involved.  I just think that the point of what it is intended for may get skewed because of marketing, I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. 

glad you too me up on my invite .. i know a few of the guys have been trying to get answers  for a while now with no results.

Cost of the amp dyno?

why do you care, it is fucking retarded.