For our next member spotlight, Mike from SoundSplinter will be up. Go easy on him, we want to keep SS here on SSA.

:lol:

I can think of something...but I won't ask it...I promise...:)

Instead, I'll ask this. How much do you think you've put in, dollar wise, in starting a company such as this? I'm curious at the kind of capital you need for an operation like this.

What got you into audio ? :)

why the name sound splinter?

What so far has been your favorite setup for a whole system to go with one or more of your subs?

Whom has had the most influence on you throughout the industry?

Why did you meet people on the street when they came to pick up subs ?

^^^ LOL ^^^ i'll never forget it either, the only time in my life i've ever had to take the 2 freeway anywhere

WHEN will SS expand their product lineup (components *cough*)?? :lol:

Just throwing this out there... Would you be intrested in an intern or something for next summer??

i actually know the answers to a few of those questions...lol...

anyway...

when are the unlucky of us going to see a pic of you? i mena, a few are close enough, lucky enough to meet the man. But most of us are not.

how goes the toyota? any upgrades lately?

ok, the other forum you moderate, admin. i honestly can't remember the name..:Doh: do you partake? or just watch? i've been there a few times, and they are some cool people. Tom would fit in, lol.

you need to email me about the cabinets. or vice versa, lol. i guess i've been lazy too...

dealer network? are you ever going to have one, even if just online?

that's it, that's all for now..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Jello everyone! Pleasure bein' a member here, many thanks to denim and everyone who participates and promotes this forum, I have no doubt it has played a significant role in the success of my business heart.gif

JimJ: It's difficult to estimate how much money I put in to start the company.. as the whole thing stemmed from unique circumstances that probably aren't all too common. Let's see if I can break it down without getting too long winded. ;)

There is a very close family connection between the owners and managers of TC Sounds and my own family. Short of the whole genetic and legal definitions, I consider Thilo and Christa Stompler (the T and the C) absolute family. As I was wrapping up my college career in Santa Cruz, I took a weekend to travel down to San Diego with my father and spend some time with Thilo and Christa. I was immediately impressed by the scale of their business operation, as well as the quality of their products. Having had a mind for self-employment since I was 13 and started my own web host business over at www.swib.com, I began to ask questions.

It wasn't long before they offered to help me in selling their speakers... and in fact, the initial plan was for me to head a "house brand" on behalf of TC Sounds. Ultimately however, their business model did not at the time allow for the attention that I felt was necessary to make such an operation effective, and so I soon knew that if I were to start selling their subwoofers, I would want to do it on my own, calling all the shots for myself, by handling the arrangement of inventory, wherehousing, and shipping alone.

Bottom line is, they allowed me to test the waters by working off of very small purchase orders to begin with, such that I could gauge what type of interest there was in the market, before jumping in head first. During these first four to six months, my profit margins were less than 20% of my purchase price for the products - but since I am a patient man (and could get away with small purchase orders), I was able to tackle these beginnings with relatively little capital expenditure. To finally answer your question, my first purchase order made in April of 2004, totaled $13,526.75 and comprised a small selection of RL-i 10" and 12" speakers, as well as a few RL-p 12" and 15" speakers.

Now depending on how extensive of an inventory you wish to carry from the get go, you could get away with an initial investment of $10,000 or so - providing you have the dedication and patience for what could be a fairly long road to profitability. Even today - two years after starting out - I am still investing more money back into the business than I have gotten out of it. Most profits gained from sales go right back into buying larger purchase orders in efforts to keep my costs down (which hasn't been easy, given consistently rising commodity and freight costs). When it comes right down to it, the ever-increasing purchase orders have only served to keep my costs relatively consistent over time.

Senor ramos!.. enjoyed reading your spotlight - as for what got me into audio, I've always been keen on the aural experience grin2.gif. Having spent 9 years of my youth studying the piano, music has played a significant role in my life. I now also play the guitar, am workin' out my aggression on a set of hand drums, and even picked up a 5-string electric bass guitar earlier this week! Listening to music has been a meditative experience for me, having favorites ranging from jazz and bluegrass through all sorts of rock, female vocal, classical, and there was even a time when I was quite enchanted by them catchy rap beats.

Lovin' to drive just as much as I love music.. it wasn't long before my 1991 MR2 Turbo received its first set of Rockford Fosgate series 1 woofers. Looking back on them now - wow what a difference a decade makes :ugh2:

Dennis: the name.. the name came about as I was brainstorming a whole plethora of potential names for the TC Sounds house brand. Tossing around some hundred ideas, I liked the way soundsplinter rolled off the tongue. It seemed memorable, while also invoking the idea that the company would have something to do with speakers.. and the splinter, well you could splinter your ear drums if you're not careful! :lol:

///M5, my favorite whole system setup? I'd have to say the home theater line source towers that currently reside in the demo-room at TC Sounds, coupled with any assortment of woofers, from a pair of the RL-i10's to a 15" supreme. Honestly I have a very difficult time picking favorites - as what may be my favorite one day may give way to a new one the next. There are so many combinations of capable products out there, I'd hate give a hands down opinion on any one. B&W's are nice, I even use a set of old AR's in my home. The Dayton reference woofer and tweet set that I received from Dylan (Ology audio) sounds great with his custom crossovers. Nice and clean, and I in fact have those set as my L/R surrounds for the time being. I'll tell you one thing though, as with so many of us, I'll probably always be thinking of what could come next, no matter how good what I currently have might sound!

Tirefryr, in terms of influences in the industry... I am very new to the industry - even now in my current position I don't really fraternize with industry players. I like it low key. By default I'd have to say Thilo @ TC is my biggest influence, with Stephen Ponte coming in a close second. They have both been incredibly friendly, down to earth, and helpful in walking me through the process of setting up shop and teaching me the various bits and pieces of information necessary to cater well to my customers.

:lol2: Eldorado - the street's an interesting place - as good as any to trade some wares, no? But really, I don't have a physical storefront, and my inventory / shop has doubled as my own home. Fallin' back to my desire for privacy, but certainly also my own safety and the relative safety for my inventory, I thought it wiser to meet strangers in public than to invite them into my own home before coming to know them personally. Thankfully, everyone who I have met has been friendly, so in retrospect this precautionary measure may not have been necessary.. nevertheless, better safe than sorry!

ghetto boy, our product lineup will expand as opportunities present themselves - I'm in no hurry. I'd much rather concentrate on continuing to provide rock solid products than expanding into areas where I may not be able to secure products of comparable quality. Price is also a huge factor, as in looking for potential solutions on components, my volume is small enough that the per unit costs would force me to price the components higher than I would like. Just can't give ya any definite timelines, save to say that I do keep an eye out.

topgun, interning with me would be very boring :faintthud:

In terms of engineering knowledge, I will offer my input on the ultimate goal I am trying to achieve, but at the same time will defer to those with more mechanical knowldge than myself when designing my products. While I do indeed have a love for audio, my main passion lies in being independent. I've always wanted to run my own business and call my own hours. It was largely by chance that I ended up doing this by way of selling subwoofers. Truth be told, I have in the past (and am still considering) starting up my own hot sauce bottling organization. TongueSplinter sound good? I could even offer free bottles with purchases of my woofers - for all your extreme needs :runlaugh:

Kent, just for you :hay:

fresco.jpg

tongue2.gif

As for my Toyota, I was about to sell the mother after having taken it to three mechanics, none of whom could figure out why the hell the thing would overheat whenever I pressed it. Finally, after two weeks and about 10 test drives at the dealership repair shop, found out I had a separated head gasket in addition to a some other problems. It's currently ripped apart, with all sorts of machining being done to re-tune all the connections, including the replacement of a few parts such as the water pump.. so next week and some $3300+ later, I'll hopefully have my baby back and ready to road trip up the coast to Oregon so I can visit my two sisters, nieces and nephews. The car's got over 100K miles, but I just love it too much to let it go! yingyang.gif

The other forum I administrate resides at www.shroomery.org - I generally like to keep this a little known fact, as I feel that mixing sales and politics can be a recipe for disaster - but all you cats seem pretty open minded and really what it comes down to is my belief that so long as a human is not infringing upon the personal rights of others, they should be free to do with their bodies as they please. Do I personally partake? I do have thousands of posts racked up over my tenure on that forum, but these days I'm more involved on the business side of things, helping maintain the financials and ensuring that the community will continue to exist. I have indeed experienced a past influenced by the occasional psychedelic experience, but I have never been the type to make that my end in and of itself. mushroom2.gif

As for dealer / distribution networks.. my goal in life is to live happily and simply - so as long as the business is within my means to handle effectively, I do not see a need to delegate responsibility to others in the way of dealer relationships. I'm not looking to become a huge corporation. I enjoy having a personal relationship with my customers, and an overall view of the entire operation. It allows me to notice any potential failures and respond to problems quicker, as I know that ultimately I am 100% accountable for how business goes... and that makes it all the more rewarding when I hear back from the people using my products, exclaiming how happy they are!

:woot:

Well.. so much for not being long winded :slayer:

Edited by SoundSplinter

Nice crap pic

Have you ever stopped to think about all the magnetic force you have in your home might do to your body. I bet you can pick up screws with your fingertip

lol..nice bro!

somehow, that's how i pictured you...lol...

ok, i have more questions, but currently can't think straight. no surprise there. but i will ask as my brain starts to function.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

how long are your workdays? what do you do for fun? is your job fulfilling? how long do you plan on running SS and when should I be ready to take over ownership?

my question is, why are you browsing the forum so friggin late? :-D

Also, are you sticking with the current cone/logo or will we be seeing a change anytime soon? I like the current OK but the logoless and signed were too cool

Well el Dorado -- I usually spend a few hours each morning in my stock room, absorbing all the energy through those static ceramic magnets in hopes of manifesting some sort of Magneto style super powers within my very being :domoslay: .. though in all seroius, that new Xmen movie looks pretty sweet! Can't wait to hear what kinda bass they throw in there grin.gif

Work hours per day varies quite a bit. There are days when I'm up at 6am and there are nights when I don't really sleep - but there are also days in between, the calm before the next storm, when I can relax and pursue other interests. If I had to estimate, I would suggest I spend an average of six hours a day responding to business obligations, more if I'm in the middle of active production. The part I appreciate most is that I can choose my hours (within reason, as I do have to make daily shipping deadlines).. and therefore can allow myself to sleep in some mornings and in turn work late, or vice versa.

For fun I hit live music shows, surf, hike, jam out on the instruments, cook, travel, read, uber-amateur photography, throw a flick on and let the woofer rumble.. it's all good! I definitely have enjoyed my experience with SoundSplinter thus far, and am excited to try out some new things.. though as of yet, I am still playin' around with ideas and do not have immediate plans to implement monumental changes. On the agenda at present is improving the RL-s 15" linear driver by offering it in a lower nominal impedance while increasing its overall efficiency and perhaps reducing its weight while increasing BL -- though this will depend on the added cost of runnin' with a neodymium motor.

How long I plan to run SoundSplinter? No tellin' - but as long as people like and want my products, I'll keep at it! rocket.gif

Well el Dorado -- I usually spend a few hours each morning in my stock room, absorbing all the energy through those static ceramic magnets in hopes of manifesting some sort of Magneto style super powers within my very being :domoslay:  .. though in all seroius, that new Xmen movie looks pretty sweet!  Can't wait to hear what kinda bass they throw in there grin.gif

lol, you crazy mike... :blink:

IMAX or nothing, just the sheer size of the woofers makes me happy inside :D

x2 on the gear..i think we need gear!! caps and shirts bro..work shirts too!! i sport a few!

also, other then offering some of the finest subs on the planet, what's the most rewarding part? does the ego getting built play a role in staying in the game?

big question here...why go so far above and beyond in the customer service? so many companies do just fine offering a halfassed approach, yet yours is very personal. i don't think, i know i have yet to read anything bad about responding to emails, or an issue with a sub, anything. as you grow, how much harder does it get to keep up with that level of satisfaction?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Gear.. yes gear would be nice - and should be relatively easy to do as I have handled the production and sales of clothing before.. so now I just need to crank up the motivation to put together some designs that I feel people would dig. I'll make it a mission to get some sort of gear available by the end of the this month. thumbup.gif

Kent, it's a funny thing about ego - I'd like to say that havin' it stroked isn't all that.. as I didn't create this business to gain any sort of widespread notoriety. Nevertheless, everytime I happen across some thread on the 'net, or a happy customer ravin' to me about how impressed he is with the speakers, I indeed do sport a big ol' stupid grin on my mug. It is a very good feeling to receive positive feedback and appreciation, and is definitely one of the factors that motivates me to continue providing personal service.

Why go "so far above and beyond" - well I don't think I do, at least not by my standards. I treat other people how I would like to be treated, and if I'm interested in making a purchase (not talkin' for a stick o' gum here), I expect to be able to ask questions and have them responded to. That's really all I do, is answer people's questions and make sure they are getting what they want. Is that above and beyond? Maybe by some measure, but not mine. It's just good business.

Obviously as the business grows, it will continue to get more difficult attending to all customers as actively - but this is one of the reasons I don't have a marketing budget, and instead let my drivers and customers speak for themselves. It keeps growth from getting out of control, allowing me to adjust my model for example by providing additional standard information on the website, such that not so many people will take my time asking about mounting depth, for pictures, or general enclosure recommendations. I do have plans to create a Knowledge Base on SoundSplinter as well.. though this will take some serious research and development.

One day I do reckon I'll have to bring in additional help, but for the time being I feel comfortable handling this rig on my own yingyang.gif

I got the shirts and hats designed in my head already.

If you could be doing anything other then the audio bit, what would you be doing?

Once SoundSplinter takes off do you plan to be a "hands on" owner, or are your goals to have others run the operations and you be able to travel and enjoy the rewards? Maybe even both :P

Finally, are you hiring? I need a change in scenery.

One day I do reckon I'll have to bring in additional help, but for the time being I feel comfortable handling this rig on my own yingyang.gif

remember Mike, I asked first!!! :lol2:

anyways, thats pretty cool you have some close connections ;) how the heck did you get the money for your first order? 13g's is quite a lot.

jntar, if I could be doing anything other than the audio bit - it'd probably be something to do with food. I've always wanted to open up a casual yet fine dining experience, perhaps open air, in a warm climate, on the coast, with an open pit to grill upon, a bar (both for booza and hookah), and even a music stage. But hey, that's a dream at this point.. and not something I am financially able to undertake at the current time, especially given my investments into SoundSplinter. Nevertheless, I have continued to foster the idea with my friends - in hopes that they may become involved and share some of the excitment (and burden) of tryin' to tackle such a huge project.

Other than that, I've really been enjoyin' tinkerin' around on the string instruments, and have a mind to get into some serious schooling and perhaps finally start a jam band with my buddies. We jam from time to time anyway, and always talk of grand plans, but as of yet we've been so consumed by our respective daily lives that we haven't buckled down and hammered it all out. Perhaps this summer I'll take up some lessons and see where that road may take me.

I'd have to say my three favorite recreational activities revolve around music, food, and the outdoors. Like I mentioned above, a home-made hot sauce bottlery op would be pretty sweet - I'm a madman for firey foods biggrin.gif

> Once SoundSplinter takes off do you plan to be a "hands on" owner

While I'd certainly love to travel and reap the rewards of a successful business, this is also a hobby of mine, so I'm not sure that I would want to give up oversight of the biz. Indeed if I could make it work, I'd love to have the opportunity to enjoy both aspects - continuing to involve myself in the day to day operations, from a laptop on the beach in the carribean lol .. I'm full of dreams :D

flakko -- For financial backing to get this jig rolling, I had been saving and investing into securities/funds throughout my entire high school career. I've always known that I'd prefer to play a hand at running my own businesses rather than workin' a rigid 9 to 5er, and so that was motivation enough not to cash in on the immediate reward of money in the bank, instead sittin' on it until an opportunity became ripe enough to delve into. I've also in the past borrowed some capital from family when necessary... but have no outstanding debts at present =]