zak1976

Klippel measurements on Fi subwoofers

Hi,

Are there accurate Klippel measurements of the Sp4 18 and the Team 18 avalible (dual 2ohm version)?

I am also interested in the "Le" value from these Subwoofers, it is hard to simulate accurate without this parameter.

Regarding the options of these modells (cooling/space spider) do they change the TS parameters?

Looking at the TEAM Series, could you explain what this feature is:

"flux flow derived back plate geometry"

is this a kind of inductance ring to flattening the top end response or some other technic to reduce the inductance ?

Do you own a Klippel?

They don't either and quite frankly for 99.99999% of users it would be meaningless and create drama over something that isn't pertinent to the tasks at hand. This is a car audio driver where users regularly get confused and buy on one stupid meaningless parameter like Xmax or the words Pro Audio.

I mean hell, people buy Skarbage so how much can they understand anything?

Best part is the Klippel is a sloppy tool that designers working for real funded companies hardly even use. There are so many better methods of garnering data for design than the Klippel.

We spent the money on getting an older Icon Kippel tested a while ago.  Even the spec crazed people on DIYma really didn't care.

I am asking because this shows how the woofer performs in high power scenarios, a good starting point for komplex enclosures design ...

But anyway Fi is measuring there subs, is there an impedanz curve avalible or a guess what "Le" could be for the SP4 18 D2?

Are there any parts used to reduce the inductance of the SP4 18D2?

I am not going to use this woofer in a car, its for HT use, so it is important for me to get a low inductance ...

I know klippel is not cheap, other companys (SA, JL, SI)  use it that is why I thougt Fi also use this ..

Good luck. Inductance is gonna be high on these woofers. No shortening rings used in either. SP4 will be your best bet for hometheater if your shooting for a large low tuned box. Too much motor force in the Team sub for anything other than a ported box. Why the low inductance requirement? You looking to play them high up in frequency?

Edited by onebadmonte

if you're concerned over these parameters then why are you only looking at car audio subwoofers? why not buy a sub specifically designed for your application. 

Inductance can lower efficiency and sensitivity at the top end and to a lesser extend also at the bottom end. It also seems to increase distortion.

The Fi SP4 have many modern features and are heayly build, big coil, a lot of motor force, very nice things like p-champfer (have only seen this at TC Sounds/LMS Ultra) and better cooling options, unfortunaltely no shortening rings or equal...

I am lookin in caraudio woofers because the developement hasn`t stopped there ...

If you want high volume levels down low (<25Hz) you need heavyweight subs and they can be found in the caraudio world ...

Regarding the enclosure, I defenately go ported, maybe in a tapped horn, but that is hard to decide without accurate TS parameters.

Another point is that I can get Fi and Sundown here in germany, the LMS Ultra is also interesting, but if I import this chassis it would cost me about 1300€ here, thats 2x Fi SP4 18D2 ...

6mH isn't high at all..

The problem with inductance is that it goes up with more layers you add..these wonderfully 'educated' people keep adding more and more layers to a coil which does nothing but make it an inductance tank, making people think the speaker is a "low end monster" when in all reality it's nothing but a tank that has no upper end and rolls off at 55Hz. We don't do that..we use a larger diameter wire and less layers which combats the higher inductance.

I can't give you an impedance curve..as that's going to change with your application, the same thing with the inductance curve. (You do understand that all of those wonderful graphs are taken with a very very small signal right?)

It's far better to have no inductance rings at all than it is to have random bits of copper or aluminum strewn about in places where they shouldn't be. The whole point of inductance is to linearize it, if it is linear it will sound better. If it has a spot that it gets to in the motor where it's way lower it now shifts and creates more distortion than it would have without the inductance rings in place.

It's a subwoofer, it will play up to 80Hz fine which is what it is intended to do. They've been used in applications such as the 'electric daisy carnival' and 'burning man festival' which all focuses on very bass heavy electronic music.