DustyTheGinger

Finding the perfect Sub

Hello, I am looking for a 12" subwoofer to put into a ported box. I had a Alpine type s in a sealed box but after turning it up while listening to bass cannon it busted. Right now I am looking for a new sub but am completely lost as to what brand I should buy. I am using a kenwood x700-5 its a 5 channel amp that pushes 500w rms @2 ohms. I am kind of on a budget so it can't be over board. I was thinking $175 max for the sub alone. My friend is getting a RE Audio SEX12D4 for $140 I personally I have never heard anything about them. My other friend just got a 12" alpine type R and he says its amazing. I guess I could just buy one of those 2 but I refuse to buy something with out doing the research first. My type s was a present so I had no choice in the matter but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for all of your help!  

Edited by DustyTheGinger

The type r is a good budget sub, but I would stay away from the re. If you want an awesome budget sub look at the SSA DCON.

SSA DCON's are only 300w rms pushing one at 500w doesn't sound right lol. 

Just because your amp is capable of delivering 500 watts does not mean it has to. If it were my choice I'd buy a single 4 ohm DCON and run your amp at 4 ohms, then when you decide to upgrade add another and wire them to two ohms. This is assuming that you have space which I don't know.

Don't let the 300w rating fool you they are no slouch.

if you dont push it too hard the dcon will be fine on that power. or buy a single 4 ohm dcon (add a second one later). more importantly you'll need to build a proper box for whichever sub you buy and by the sounds of it you should go ported. 

Edited by lithium

The Dcon is an EXCELLENT option, but it is not available new at the moment.

It looks like the Sun down E 12 is a really good sub. I want a Sa-12 but afraid of under powering it. I am going to make my own box so worries about that. 

I want a Sa-12 but afraid of under powering it.

Well that is rather silly.

Silly because 500w rms is under powering it? or silly becasue it will be okay to under power it a little bit? 

There is nothing bad AT ALL about under powering a speaker. Think of it this way do you ever turn your volume down? Every time you turn the volume down you reduce the power, I've never heard of anyone blowing a speaker by turning the volume down. The myth comes from people who buy a speaker and think that they have to turn the gain up to 100% to get the amps "full power" but that is not the case. If you crank your amp to 100% you are making the amp clip sending far more power to the sub than the amp is rated at, thus over powering it. 

Free upgrades, shipping, and carbon fiber dust caps on the Fi subs. I would get the X over the SA any day.

I didn't realize they were having a sale, awesome!

I actually planned on buying a FI audio SSD 12 when I first started looking at a new sub. Then my budget got punched in the face I mean its $50 over my budget with out any options. I have no idea what those options mean but if they made it better I'd get them all. I also have to get a new blade for my circular saw and a jig saw for my port hole in the box. I do have one question though should I use higher gauge between my amp and sub then with regular speakers? Just wondering because in my research someone said that you should use better wire? I think I am using the street wires plastic incased 14 gauge atm.

I actually planned on buying a FI audio SSD 12 when I first started looking at a new sub. Then my budget got punched in the face I mean its $50 over my budget with out any options. I have no idea what those options mean but if they made it better I'd get them all. I also have to get a new blade for my circular saw and a jig saw for my port hole in the box. I do have one question though should I use higher gauge between my amp and sub then with regular speakers? Just wondering because in my research someone said that you should use better wire? I think I am using the street wires plastic incased 14 gauge atm.

Regular wire is fine.

Then look at the X series-first link i posted. 

What is the difference between the X and the SSD I mean they are like $20 different in price. Then what makes the X series so much better then the SA-12? What options do I need to choice since I will be running it @500w rms in a ported box tuned to 34hz. I really appreciate the help!

I prefer to buy US built products with US sourced and machined parts in house. The SSD will have a little different coil, motor force, cooling, etc. I would get the BP option just because it's free! 

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/47700-options-explained/

Watch it all, but for BP option pay attention at 3:40

build quality on the Fi is probably better than the sundown. Fi manufactures their subs here in the US (which is a selling point in it self). 

choosing between the x and ssd would come down to how much power you're planning to run. personally i would save some cash and get a dcon. put that spare money into the box or more importantly, sound deadening. doesn't matter how loud you're friend's type R is when everything is rattling around. 

but if you're planning to upgrade power and so forth later a X or SSD would allow for that. 

build quality on the Fi is probably better than the sundown. Fi manufactures their subs here in the US (which is a selling point in it self). 

choosing between the x and ssd would come down to how much power you're planning to run. personally i would save some cash and get a dcon. put that spare money into the box or more importantly, sound deadening. doesn't matter how loud you're friend's type R is when everything is rattling around. 

but if you're planning to upgrade power and so forth later a X or SSD would allow for that. 

The Dcons aren't avail. right now, do you mean the Gcon?