Whatshisface176

SP4 15 box design help

Just ordered a SP4 15 from Fi and am hoping to get a box design going for it before it's to arrive. I'm not the best with designing boxes and tuning them therefore hopefully someone may be able to help. Max trunk space available for enclosure: H=16" W=30" D=26"

Was wanting to tune the box @ 36hz with about 5 cu ft.

Any help on cut sizes and port dementions?

The SP4 will dig deep and get loud, keep the tuning around 32hz or less and it will shine. Also no need to do more than say 4cuft net unless you just want to.

I like lows but i'm not to crazy about em... I just don't want to loose bass that's around 55-80hz if i tune around 32

I like lows but i'm not to crazy about em... I just don't want to loose bass that's around 55-80hz if i tune around 32

Not the best choice in sub then.. I have two Sp4 18s, and it plays the higher notes and it sounds good, but its not nearly as loud as the lows.

But I have recently been playing with a zcon 18 and it plays the higher notes quite a bit better and is pretty close in loudness on the lows in the same box.

Just my experience. Ive heard of Sp4s doing quite well around 50-60hz in certain builds, but that's likely car dependent.

Also listen to Swift, he definitely knows what he's talking about :)

Edited by SacredTanakh

So maybe tune it to 32hz and it should be fine around higher notes? Around what frequency(s) will the sp4 15 perform it's best?

So maybe tune it to 32hz and it should be fine around higher notes? Around what frequency(s) will the sp4 15 perform it's best?

If tuned to 32hz?

My box for one Sp4 is 7 cubes tuned to 31hz and it does best at around 28 to 37, peaking at 33.

Higher then 40 gets cut off pretty bad, But I have 150in of port which may or may not contribute to that.

I think you will be alright at 32-34hz tuning. Maybe swift will give his opinion since he has more experience with these woofers.

Just depends on install really. But the design of the woofers is to shine in the low notes. My setup peaked around 41hz but was tuned at 31hz. But the lows were just nasty.

I was hoping for a peak of around 40hz... What would you recommend for enclosure size port size?

With your max dimensions, I would do 4.5cu net tuned at 32hz with 65.25sqin of port area. 

This would get down pretty good if built properly.

Box would be 16H.. 30W.. 26D.. Port would be 4.5in x 14.5in and be 31.5 in long. 

OR 

With the same outside box dimensions you could also do 4.70cuft tuned at 34hz, 

Port size would be the same except there would be no need for a bend in the port as port length would be 26in. This may be a tad louder in the 40hz range. Some may say use more port area but unless you are competing I feel like 15sq in of port or less will be more musical and not as peaky as say something with 20+sqin of port.

Edited by swift

So using your enclosure recommendations, will the sp4 perform more musicly or peaky?

(Using 65.25 sq in of port area)

So using your enclosure recommendations, will the sp4 perform more musicly or peaky?

(Using 65.25 sq in of port area)

It will perform very well in a daily setup and should play fairly flat (which is good)

Lets say someone tells you "man it could be louder with more port" This could be true but it may come at some cost. Here at a couple examples (just as a reference)

Lets say enclosure A tuned at 34hz has 200sqin of port and on the meter does 145db at 30hz, 153db at 45hz.

Then enclosure B tuned at 34hz and same size but this one has 120sqin of port and this one does 148db at 30hz and a 151 at 45hz.

I would take setup B any day of the week in a daily setup. These are clearly just examples and would be install dependent and may not be the case in every install but.

So if i do 4.7 cu ft and tune to 34hz with 65.25 sq in of port area it will have a decent response, slap the lows, peak around 40hz, and be a good daily?

The sp4 imo is designed for lows. I think a zcon would be a better option if you're wanting to play that high.

Well i already bought the sp4... Alot of people seem to advertise ssa subwoofers on this forum site

I would think so because this forum is owned and run by SSA.

Plus they are one of the best line of USA made subs on the market!

Edited by pmureika

I would think so because this forum is owned and run by SSA.

Plus they are one of the best line of USA made subs on the market!

lol

Well i already bought the sp4... Alot of people seem to advertise ssa subwoofers on this forum site

I will advise any driver I've had experience with. This forum as little to none reason why I recommend the zcon over your sp4. It's based off if t/s parameters, manufacture recommendations, and personal experience.

If your desired frequency response was to play anything underneath the 34hz range with authority, then I would recommend the sp4. You pick a sub that fits your goals. In order to do so, a person will have to do the necessary research to find the proper tool for the proper job. You wouldn't buy a hand wrench to unbolt a 10" long screw, you would use a power drill. Same concept. Will they both work to get the job done, well of course. But which tool will be the most sufficient, that's the question you need to ask prior to your purchase. I hope this makes sense.

I agree with the Zcon being better. If it's possible and you can wait on not having bass then the Zcon would seem to fit your goals much better.

I'm sure many people DO recommend SSA just because it's the forum. However, I recommended SSA ONLY because of their insane woofers. I've used 3 out of their line up from one of the lowest to one of the highest and I'm blown away by each and every one. The price is right and you get way more then you pay for. I've had 2 setups with the Zcons and they are just amazing. But for your goals I see the Zcon being more suitable.

If you don't want to do the pain of trading or selling/buying then I can make a 3d sketch up and cut sheet of the design/dimensions that Swift gave you. Just let me know.

I will advise any driver I've had experience with. This forum as little to none reason why I recommend the zcon over your sp4. It's based off if t/s parameters, manufacture recommendations, and personal experience.

That's what I mean by saying SSA is one of the best. Because most people are happy with the results for daily driving.

Plus they also make one evil sub that is awesome for competition.

I agree with the Zcon being better. If it's possible and you can wait on not having bass then the Zcon would seem to fit your goals much better.

I'm sure many people DO recommend SSA just because it's the forum. However, I recommended SSA ONLY because of their insane woofers. I've used 3 out of their line up from one of the lowest to one of the highest and I'm blown away by each and every one. The price is right and you get way more then you pay for. I've had 2 setups with the Zcons and they are just amazing. But for your goals I see the Zcon being more suitable.

If you don't want to do the pain of trading or selling/buying then I can make a 3d sketch up and cut sheet of the design/dimensions that Swift gave you. Just let me know.

Would you please?

Yes I can. Which design did you want? The 32hz or 34hz one?

The only thing not accounted for in my specs are a double baffle and bracing. The wont make any difference in the outcome, maybe .15cu...  I can do a sketch but I literally use paper and a pen. haha, I have not yet messed with a 3D modeling tool enough to use it properly. Im sure he will have final exact specs

The SP4 is a very efficient woofer, it will play all the notes you will want. 

Yes I can. Which design did you want? The 32hz or 34hz one?

34hz please. Thank you