Heisenberg

Line Driver help from you guys

Im wondering if the signal voltage will be sufficiently boosted by the http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27392_PAC-LD-10.html

Will this line driver take the place of a healthy 4.5 pre-out voltage that would be otherwise coming from a deck?

I have heard the headphone jack of an ipod has 60 miliamps of current at full volume and im trying to boost that up to what would come out of a deck, effectively eliminating the deck.

And if It can supply that voltage, can I max it out to ten volts and then run two Y splitters off of the output side of the line driver? giving me two sets of RCA's at 5 volts off of one ipod headphone jack? 

thanks all

A milliamperes is one thousands of am amp. The PAC piece increases by a factor of ten. So you'd be at 6 tenths of an amp if I figured in my head correctly?

Personally I wouldn't use one of those. And yes, the I-outputs are lame.

Just as a reference though, there is absolutely no need for a 5v deck.

Im just trying to boost it cause I could tell splitting the ipod signal straight into RCA's and into the amp was not nearly enough input signal, so I can expect just a slight increase? 

this is all temporary by the way, but will be put to a screeching halt if somebody can answer my next question with the answer im scared of... Is there damage that can be done to an amplifier by giving it a very weak input signal and turning the gain? is there generally damage that can be done by feeding an amp a small signal voltage?

No, it's akin to having the volume knob turned to a low level on the head unit. Most amps have a range starting around ~.9 volts so in theory you'd be able to get close to full output from the amp since you would be at ~.6 volts.

huge relief. there is damage that can be done with too much input signal though, right? 

again, crazy relief and now I can come clean about giving my new 3500 a 60 miliamp input signal while testing earlier today without feeling like a shitty father.

Too much input can fry the amp if it doesn't have a protection circuit.

I almost feel like I jumped in really deep really fast. This is my first build and I realize more and more that I still don't know enough. Basic question's I should have already known long before dealing with a 4k watt amp.

Kinda feel like I should have got a really nice 1500 or 2000 watt amp. 

idk.. maybe i'm just a sketchball.

Be best to start a build log to insure everything is done right.

In particular if you have no deck.

Started one. It's most of the pictures I had on hand but i'll take some more.

Its temporary that I have no deck. It just costs more than the average car because of GM's chime'and oil life reset harnes. Its like $50 bucks, but it makes the whole deck $300

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/61284-heisenberg-impaler-build-log-soundqubed-rockford-fosgate-alpine/

And if It can supply that voltage, can I max it out to ten volts and then run two Y splitters off of the output side of the line driver? giving me two sets of RCA's at 5 volts off of one ipod headphone jack?

In addition to the above posts, a y-splitter does NOT halve the voltage. If you had 10V output and connected a y-splitter, each "leg" of the splitter would still provide 10V.

In addition to the above posts, a y-splitter does NOT halve the voltage. If you had 10V output and connected a y-splitter, each "leg" of the splitter would still provide 10V.

With this in mind, is it possible to use no headunit using the ipod and line driver method. sacrificing volume and EQ control of course. all while giving the two amps healthy input signal?

"Possible" sure.

Personally I would always want a volume control or mute in between the device and the amp. I don't fucking trust digital stuff and in particular apple things to do what I want them to.

With this in mind, is it possible to use no headunit using the ipod and line driver method. sacrificing volume and EQ control of course. all while giving the two amps healthy input signal?

This is the line driver I use with my ipod when I need a test signal. The volume control is nice. It is cheap and works well. They have a two channel version as well.

BTW if I was going to use an ipod as a source signal in an installation it would be this route: ipod -> pure i-20 (using optical output) -> dsp   I would choose a dsp with an auxiliary display that included a volume control that has sufficient output voltage. The 6to8 V8 comes to mind.

pure i-20

Lord is Apple stuff ridiculously expensive

pure i-20

I agree that Apple products are expensive but justified.

The Pure I-20 is a iPhone/iPod dock with built-in DAC including coaxial, optical, RCA and video output connections for $90 shipped through Amazon. IMO that isn't expensive. You could connect any Apple audio/video device to it with an optional cable.

Also there is the Bluetooth option with the 6to8. I haven't researched the playback quality going this route.

pure i-20

I agree that Apple products are expensive but justified.

The Pure I-20 is a iPhone/iPod dock with built-in DAC including coaxial, optical, RCA and video output connections for $90 shipped through Amazon. IMO that isn't expensive. You could connect any Apple audio/video device to it with an optional cable.

Also there is the Bluetooth option with the 6to8. I haven't researched the playback quality going this route.

A $3 cable and any generic USB audio device with an Android does the same. Just shocked that they need $90 to create a digital signal from a digital signal.

This is the line driver I use with my ipod when I need a test signal. The volume control is nice. It is cheap and works well. They have a two channel version as well.

BTW if I was going to use an ipod as a source signal in an installation it would be this route: ipod -> pure i-20 (using optical output) -> dsp   I would choose a dsp with an auxiliary display that included a volume control that has sufficient output voltage. The 6to8 V8 comes to mind.

My 4 channel could take 8 volts signal voltage but I know the 3500 couldn"t. from the Cache COE8

Two great suggestions though.

While I got people on the signal processing topic, this is what is going in the Impaler in 3 weeks. Unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68903_Alpine-CDE-HD149BT.html

Again, ordering this pac LD10 thing was a result of my impatience. even for as little as it cost's, doesn't sound like it was worth buying, but I think i will at least hook it up and try it once at least.

Anyway's I like the 80prs as much as the next guy, but I'm always down for Alpine gear whenever I can run it. Plus ^^ at 105db signal to noise ratio, she's clean as jennifer aniston's tits

Honestly signal to noise ratio is one of those unimportant specs. It would be very rare to find any piece of aftermarket stereo equipment with a signal to noise ratio low enough to make an audible difference. Not to mention the spec can be manipulated through the measurement method, so unless you know exactly how it was measured it's pretty meaningless.

That said, I'm always game for a good Jennifer Aniston's tits reference.

so with that in mind, these THD ratings I have been focusing on all this time while amp shopping was a waste?

You guys sold me on the pioneer by the way...well you guys and a youtube video of the crossover selection and graphic equalizer. You'l have to help me set it up when I put the order in in a couple weeks. 

Meantime, don't know what this business is about the crazy floating digital converter onboard the 80prs, but you guys seem to like it.

The 80 prs is one seriously awesome piece of hardware.

so with that in mind, these THD ratings I have been focusing on all this time while amp shopping was a waste?

Yep, completely pointless. As with anything audio focusing on only one spec or two will make you draw the wrong conclusion.

On subs you won't even here 10% thd, so...