ncc74656

extending wires, running 0ga outside of cab?

due to an exploded turbo i need to dig into my truck so id like to fix some wiring. i have some runs of 0ga that i would like ot not throw away but perhaps combine into one long run or do some light extension to them to route them better.  how should i combine 2 sets of 0ga cable? my first thought is to but the ends together and solder them, then wrap with shrink or tape.

secondly have any of you run wires in the frame rails and pulled them up into cab in back instead of running through the fire wall and under the carpet? what are your thoughts and recommendations on this method?

Companies make 1/0 couplers.

But if it's external running, i HIGHLY suggest running them through flexible Conduit.

I use Liquid-Tite from Lowes.

3\4" ID is less than $1 per foot.

http://www.darvex.com/store/pc/Stinger-PRO-0-Gauge-Wire-Coupler-18p258.htm

i assume they make crimp and solder connectors for this joining as well right? id much rather have than then a screw down post.  ill maybe pick up some pvc pipe and run it through that down there. perhaps use CPVC as it runs down by the engine exhaust entering the frame rail. EGT's get up to 2400F so id want to protect it there. might want to get a bit of aluminum for a heat shield even.

Or you could always just put a ring terminal on each end and put a fuse block to connect them.

i thought about that. didnt think it was a great idea tho as the terminals to connect them together would be cheaper than a fuse and block.

High vibe applications regularly compression can be better than solder. Corrosion is a huge concern to me though if the joint is outside. Make sure to grease and shrink wrap and run in conduit. If you use a screw down type I would red locktite it as you basically want it glued on permanently. Just make sure it is tight and where you need it, lol.

The ways I see it happening are either using distribution blocks with 1/0 inputs and outputs, for example this one...http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15889_StreetWires-DBX30.html you can put 2 runs in it and 2 runs out.

Also, I had no choice but to route my runs outside the cab. There was little to no room inside the cab to put 4 runs of 1/0. Without bolting it on the truck I used plenty and plenty of zip ties. To get it back in the cab there was just this convenient grommeted hole under the carpet. I cut the center grommet out and got all 4 through. Just make sure you don't try and stuff your wires through an opening that doesn't have anything separating wire from metal. Metal will cut the wire and it may cause an accidental ground from a positive wire.

i was thinking of using a conduit and i have 3 runs of 0/1 so im in the same spot as you are. id be more worried about corrosion with a crimp only than a crimp and solder. i also want to see if i can combine some of hte wires, run 2 amps from 1 0ga instead of running 0ga and 8ga down the line.