DedicatedEnthusiast

Enclosure reccomendations for a single Zv4 15

I am contemplating purchasing a single Sundown Zv4 15 for my two door 2000 Honda Civic EX. I recently cut out nearly the entire back-dash area behind the back seats and below the back window turning the car into a pseudo-hatchback as it is more or less a project car at this point. My first question is what sort of enclosure would be recommended for this particular install. I have heard that sub up port back towards the trunk works well and considering I should have little to no "trunk" left to rattle I figure this would work good for me. I have also heard of sealing off the trunk with sub and port facing forward into the cabin but I do not wish to compete or achieve high numbers or SPL. I like DEEP and powerfully LOW daily driver bass so my second question is what size (cu. ft. wise) and tuning (aero-port wise) would be recommended for one of these subs if I plan on throwing 3000-3500 RMS watts at it daily off of a Crescendo bc3500d? I have heard that a smaller than usually recommended enclosure is best if or when sending a sub more than its rated RMS power and am fully aware of the dangers of exceeding this subs mechanical ability. I just want to have the power necessary to push it to its limits and would like for it to sound as good as possible while doing so.

Thanks for any insight or advice,

Phil

I would do 4.25-4.5 cubes with an 8" aero port. I was going to use one of these but sold it to use 2 X 12s. Not really sure on sub/port direction. I always do sub/port firing into cabin sealed off. I always get a lot more room and no trunk rattle.

Thanks man! I can see you getting a lot more room that way with generally less trunk rattle but in all of my testing with previous installs facing sub/port firing forward into the cabin I have lost that highly pressurized sound I so much enjoy (granted I never completely sealed off the enclosures). Does the 8'' aero port automatically supply and determine box tuning and if so around what fs/tuning frequency would it be with 4.25-4.5 cubes?

The length of the port determines the tuning frequency and you will have to play with the dimensions to make the cubes and tuning work right together. Trust me actually sealing off the trunk makes a huge difference. If you seal the trunk off or even just make side panels to block air flow like what I did. It makes it so much better.

If you need a box design I can help you with that.

Hmm interesting...my next question was going to be do you know anyone or any place that I could have build a box for me as Dave the Box Guy is not currently accepting quotes for custom work? I'm all good with electrical work and what not but when it comes to box-building and design I'm clueless and would like for a professional with experience to assemble one for me preferably with internal bracing, a double thick front/top plate and maybe even with that xtreme Kote bedliner spray.

Frogcase2002 on here is in Ohio. Me and him work together. I design and he builds them for people in Ohio. Maybe he is around you. I'll tell him to check out this thread. He has great prices!!

That would be greatly appreciated:) I would be more than willing to work with you both but out of curiosity where at in Ohio? I'm from the Cleveland area myself.

Didn't know if I would attempt a pick-up from him or have it shipped is the only reason I'm asking.

I think he's 2-4 hours from Cleveland. I would pick up if I were you. Shipping would be a waste of money.

If you can, give me the max dimensions you can use and also the tuning you would like. I can work on the design and ill text him.

Edited by Bassink

Ok but as I mentioned above I did cut out nearly the entire back dash area behind the back seats and below the back window turning the car into a pseudo-hatchback sort of thing so I definitely think that either sub up port back or to the side would be best as I have no way to seal it off form the trunk now. Could I maybe post or upload picks for you to see in addition to supplying max dimensions? That way you can better suggest a particular design for me as I would like for it to sound as powerful as possible in the trunk/hatchback setup I have now.

I guess what I'm afraid of is going through all the hassle of selling my current subs, amp, and box only to upgrade to the same "airy" bottom-out sort of sound I'm getting on the lows as of now. I want the sub to be able pick up anything and everything 26-34 hz and audibly hear esp. feel the lows that it can produce. Right now I have two 12 in. Fi SSD's tuned to 32 hz in a 4 cu. ft. slot ported enclosure off a Crescendo bc2000d and they flex hard as hell but somehow lack on the lows. I need to find a way to pressurize the sound that I produce like I use to have when I had an enclosed trunk lol only reason I ever cut a portion of it out was because I read that hatchbacks are almost always louder with less power but I'm starting to think that's only number/SPL wise:/

Yea that's a good idea. Kind of confused on what you mean lol

I guess what I'm afraid of is going through all the hassle of selling my current subs, amp, and box only to upgrade to the same "airy" bottom-out sort of sound I'm getting on the lows as of now. I want the sub to be able pick up anything and everything 26-34 hz and audibly hear esp. feel the lows that it can produce. Right now I have two 12 in. Fi SSD's tuned to 32 hz in a 4 cu. ft. slot ported enclosure off a Crescendo bc2000d and they flex hard as hell but somehow lack on the lows. I need to find a way to pressurize the sound that I produce like I use to have when I had an enclosed trunk lol only reason I ever cut a portion of it out was because I read that hatchbacks are almost always louder with less power but I'm starting to think that's only number/SPL wise:/

Who built the enclosure?

Lol sry may have gone a bitt too far into explanation there. The pics I will post soon (as long as I can figure out how to do so) will show what my trunk looks like as of now but by cutting out a portion of it in an attempt to get louder I only lost output on the lower frequencies which was what I was trying to gain in the first place 

Sounds like a bad design/box. If you mainly want 26-34 then tune around 29 but you will lose a lot of output around 40+. Also you don't really hear 26hz you feel it more.

In response to frogcase2002 Mobile Sound Works built the enclose. Online company that I already know mass produces pre-fab boxes that probably aren't built to spec so I am sure having a custom enclosure built by yourself will make a major difference

Bassink that is exactly what I am looking for, bass that I can strictly feel and see vehicle flex from for days.

Bassink that is exactly what I am looking for, bass that I can strictly feel and see vehicle flex from for days.

Me and Casey will get you that lol

I sent you a pm.

I will attempt to post pics of the trunk soon and have you guys honestly tell me whether I should stick with a custom enclosure for the two 12 in. Fi SSD's I currently own or if it would be worth it to upgrade to a Sundown Zv4 15 on a Crescendo bc3500d in my crazy half-ass hatch

Me and Casey will get you that lol

Forsure :) lol

Ok sweet and by pm do you by chance mean e-mail? I am new to the forum thing here use to just scrolling through them never really posted anything before.

Pm means private message. Scroll up to the top right of the screen and you will see little envelope icon with a red 1.

Haha thanks though you guys are super cool on here the lack of judgment is greatly appreciated