pmureika

DB's doing to your hearing?

What is the result of some of the db's being hit when you are in the vehicle?

Partial deafening if exposed to high decibels for a long period of time.

It has lowered my blood pressure, cholesterol, and my temper. I have also had better hair growth, heightened senses, and stronger eyesite. 

It has also increased my stamina, labido, and lengthened my weiner 3 and a half inches around. 

It hasn't affected my hearing at all though :(

Wouldnt the frequency also have a lot to do with it? Since human hearing is not flat.

i se

What?

What?

e what you did there...

ANY high level sound source is damaging. All damage is permanent. Your hearing is the only sense you have that is best the day you were born. It degrades from that point out. You learn to perceive it differently, but as a transducer it is failing. Low frequencies are particularly difficult since they aren't that fatiguing. It is easy to convince yourself since they don't ring or it isn't bothering you that it isn't doing damage. It is and big time.

Don't need no hearing. They got cochlear implants now a days.

ANY high level sound source is damaging. All damage is permanent. Your hearing is the only sense you have that is best the day you were born. It degrades from that point out. You learn to perceive it differently, but as a transducer it is failing. Low frequencies are particularly difficult since they aren't that fatiguing. It is easy to convince yourself since they don't ring or it isn't bothering you that it isn't doing damage. It is and big time.

Is it true that higher frequencies are more damaging? Obviously MOST peoples lower end is louder but is there any truth to higher frequencies being more damaging?

My ears have been ringing for as long as I can remember (Age of 3). Most noticeable when there is a lack of noise. Learned to live with it. (19 yrs old now) 

Is it true that higher frequencies are more damaging? Obviously MOST peoples lower end is louder but is there any truth to higher frequencies being more damaging?

i am under the assumtion that high frequencies hurt your hearing more. i look at my dad who had an EXTREMELY loud system in his car when he was younger. 6x9's amped out their asses, 6.5's screaming for help and no subs back in those days with all music being loud and screachy. he cant hear for shit now. on the other hand i've had systems that would shake houses a couple blocks away and the 6.5's amped, but still barely heard and i have outstanding hearing except in the 6k and 8k frequencies and they were still better than most in my right ear. my sound test on my ears have come back stellar to say the least.

My ears have been ringing for as long as I can remember (Age of 3). Most noticeable when there is a lack of noise. Learned to live with it. (19 yrs old now) 

Tinnitus? 

maybe they'll have some better tech in a couple decades 

I know several people that were implanted as toddlers and hear better than you and me.

The ole lady has one and hears pretty damn good considering she got it when she was 16

Do you want to be the guinea pig they use to study that?

Generically speaking the answer is no. Loud is loud and loud is damaging. Tinnitis and other hearing related health conditions may be more prone from high frequencies, but actual damage is a physical phenomena and low frequencies have as much if not more capability to cause damage than high frequencies.

And the guinea pig comment was a joke. I do a ton of work measuring cadaver ears. Obviously the window where they stay viable is very short, but information can be gleaned from these. Chinchilla's are also very interesting targets as their ears are very similar to ours and you can remove a bunch of tissue and keep them alive for a long while to investigate how their hearing mechanism works and effects of other acoustic phenomena.

i am under the assumtion that high frequencies hurt your hearing more.

Bad assumption, most people have it though since you hear pain at high frequencies.

To me a stack of Marshalls hurts more.

Distortion creates more energy under the curve. Driving an amp to distortion of course should then cause more pain.

*not stating Marshalls sound bad, but I know I saturated mine on purpose to get the right distorted sound.

It is extremely complex system to recreate. Tons of researchers working on it, I know most of them.

I know several people that were implanted as toddlers and hear better than you and me.

The ole lady has one and hears pretty damn good considering she got it when she was 16

Hear better? Nope. More sensitivity? Definitely possible. Nice part about artificial mechanisms is that they have a gain knob. Frequency response and detail is nowhere near what the natural ear can do, but obviously the implants prove it isn't like we need the fidelity we have. Personally I would like to keep mine.