The enD

What can I use as a substitute for MLV?

I am going to be tearing up my car for a wall build and I want to sound deaden as well. What material can I use so I have similar effects as MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl)? Basically I will be looking for a heavy, flexible material, that is on sheets and does not smell awful. I'll be going through our big shops for construction and whatnot, but you guys can suggest other things and places I can look into.

Lead sheeting is a step better, but usually more $$ and harder to find. Sometimes it is the other way around. You nailed it though, mass is your friend. No such thing as a lightweight barrier.

Depends how crazy you want to get with it. I know someone on another forum bought close-out aluminum foil and wrapped it around a cardboard frame until he got to a density pretty equal to that of MLV. There are other ways to do it, might have to get creative though.

Unfortunately I don't know off hand of anything readily available that is equivalent to MLV in mass/density other than lead sheets as Sean pointed out.

Are you looking for alternatives due to pricing or availability...or both?

Rubber sheets from Tractor supply? You can buy it fairly cheap and its like 4ft x 3ft sheets. Can be used for garage floor, work areas, etc. I would maybe try that the seal the last sheet with something?

IDK

They make thick rubber Matts than you put your computer chair on to keep it from catching I cut up and used that stuff in a build once. it's pretty dense and similar to mass loaded vinyl.

They make thick rubber Matts than you put your computer chair on to keep it from catching I cut up and used that stuff in a build once. it's pretty dense and similar to mass loaded vinyl.

Same thing I listed above. It's like 1 inch think and they keep it stacked on a pallet out front. 20 bucks a sheet I believe

Horse/cow barn mats are heavy and cheap. Uses they might smell :D

I have access to 4'x4' 12mm thick, sheets of MLV like material at work that is just sitting.

Lead sheeting is a step better, but usually more $$ and harder to find. Sometimes it is the other way around. You nailed it though, mass is your friend. No such thing as a lightweight barrier.

Some time ago I thought about buying acid lead batteries and getting their lead out. But it's too much work.

Depends how crazy you want to get with it. I know someone on another forum bought close-out aluminum foil and wrapped it around a cardboard frame until he got to a density pretty equal to that of MLV. There are other ways to do it, might have to get creative though.

Unfortunately I don't know off hand of anything readily available that is equivalent to MLV in mass/density other than lead sheets as Sean pointed out.

Are you looking for alternatives due to pricing or availability...or both?

Hmm, not really positive on the aluminum foil as it's quite lightweight. I am willing to do some work, but I don't think it will pay off.

Looking for an alternative for both reasons. Shipping from Don would be expensive.

Rubber sheets from Tractor supply? You can buy it fairly cheap and its like 4ft x 3ft sheets. Can be used for garage floor, work areas, etc. I would maybe try that the seal the last sheet with something?

IDK

That's a good idea and my first thought, some heavy duty rubber mats, maybe do two layer with overlapping to hide the seal.

Horse/cow barn mats are heavy and cheap. Uses they might smell biggrin.png

I have a friend that has a horse barn, will ask him.

I have access to 4'x4' 12mm thick, sheets of MLV like material at work that is just sitting.

Too bad you are 6k miles away.

Have you tried sourcing MLV in your area?

I am about to start my search, so I wanted to know if something in other fields can work as well.

Look up vibra-flex. it's 4mm thick and heavy as shit. It is not mlv but it will add mass the the problem panel. It's more like deadener but hard like concrete.

he's looking for a barrier not a to add mass to a panel or cld

Edited by lithium

Panel mass isn't the right idea, you want the heavy barrier to float and be decoupled.

for a barrier I guess you would want to get about 1 lb / ft^2. density just helps with thickness. 

Panel mass isn't the right idea, you want the heavy barrier to float and be decoupled.

So in order to achieve good result, I'll have to add some CCF in between the MLV and the bare body panel??

No need for the CCF. Just need a way to suspend the vinyl.

Maybe vinyl roofing material?

Unicorn snot.

J

Nothing wrong with the CCF, but not needed. There are other methods/products if supply is an issue for you due to your location.

Didnt realize you are in Bulgaria, lol

You should find some goosd products in Europe, maybe not in bulgaria.
Try to find some UK or French websites.

Focal makes products for that, some others too.

Good luck

Nothing wrong with the CCF, but not needed. There are other methods/products if supply is an issue for you due to your location.

I think there won't be any problems sourcing closed cell foam.

You should find some goosd products in Europe, maybe not in bulgaria.

Try to find some UK or French websites.

Focal makes products for that, some others too.

Good luck

I am trying to save on shipping cost as the material needed is quite heavy. In other words, it has to be local.

https://www.facebook.com/silentcoat

you should be familiar with this product

Thank you for that. I might crab their vibration dampening products, but I am not sure about their sound isolation products.

They marked polyethylene foam as their sound absorbent product, but I can't find it's weight anywhere. And it's has self adhesive, combine that with the word "foam" and I am not sure it's the right thing for the purpose.

Another company I found was STP, but I am not convinced about their products either.

http://stp-distribution.com/en/products/

They market products 10 times lighter than SSD MLV to be their noise insulation.

For example :

http://stp-distribution.com/en/products/sound-insulation/stp-spl/

Weight: 0.37 kg / m²

MLV is 4.88 kg/ m²

http://stp-distribution.com/en/products/sound-absorption/stp-vbt/

Almost 4 times thicker than MLV and more than 50% less weight.

I know that air is a good sound insulation, but where else is my mistake in not believing in these products?