ncc74656

determine cap size and or power cell size

spent all day today working on my truck and with in the next week i expect to have an amp again for my sub. so let me tell you what my intended lay out is, what my electrical will be, and then you tell me if you think i will need a power cell in with the amps and what size capacitor i should use.

2 batteries under the hood (both AGM). one diehard platinum marine group 31 [1150CCA, 205RC, 100AH] and one diehard gold group 49 [975CCA, 190RC, 95ah] battery.  I will have CCA 0ga connecting these batteries to each other, the alternator, frame, block, and 8ga for body.

alternator will be a mechman 320A with 0ga ground and power directly connected.

I will have either an eclipse 34320 OR a audiobahn A275HC powering a set of Hertz 165.3 components in the front

I will have a ZX2500.1  powering my SP4 18" sub.  my rear speakers will be on the deck (just some cheap o's). would it be worth upgrading them? i dont think i can hear them in the front seat anyway.

I have an option of running new OFC power wire to my 2500.1 OR running 2 runs of CCA 0ga. undecided as to wich i will do.

now to my question. should i add a power cell in back and what farad cap should i install. to be clear i am not looking for a cap to help with light dimming but rather to ensure proper, clean power to the amps.

thanks.

Edited by ncc74656

IMO I don't like the idea of miss matching batteries.As for the cap I wouldn't use one.

ive been reading a lot into caps and it makes sense to me that they would be there to smooth the ups and downs of voltage going into the amp. from what i understand IF i used caps i should have 10 .5 farads as opposed to 1 5 farad cap.

idk, in either case sears sent me an email that there is an issue with stock on the batters i bought last night (have not picked them up yet) so ill figure it out today. maybe just use a 3rd AGM that i pick up some where in the back? like a small stinger or something?  if the math is correct i think i have JUST enough electrical for my amps.

IMO I don't like the idea of miss matching batteries.As for the cap I wouldn't use one.

What do you mean by miss matching?

You've been on the forum for almost a year now and you still don't know how we feel about caps? And how we also feel about upgrading rear speakers? You need to do some searching before you post you're threads.

Edited by Bassink

You've been on the forum for almost a year now and you still don't know how we feel about caps? You need to do some searching before you post you're threads.

x2 on the caps!

dif CCA etc.I mean people do it all the time.I just don't like to is all I'm sayin

dif CCA etc.I mean people do it all the time.I just don't like to is all I'm sayin

You cant always match your rear battery to the front. 

I don't think it makes any difference.

his two starting batteries are dif.

Read this http://www.morganscloud.com/2011/10/03/mixing-battery-sizes/

[/quote

Read this http://www.morganscloud.com/2011/10/03/mixing-battery-sizes/
]+1 Good I got an isollator I'm gonna set aside lol.if you would have payed attention to my post you would have seen this.so why try to argue
Edited by garychurch84

Damn it. My post mixed in the middle of yours

You would think the stronger bat would constantly try to drain into the other

Call xs power and talk to them.

They say as long as the batteries are the same age it shouldn't make a difference.

They say as long as the batteries are the same age it shouldn't make a difference.

read that in the link you posted

Let me edit the post you didn't read

garychurch84, on 19 Dec 2013 - 11:18, said:

pmureika, on 19 Dec 2013 - 10:21, said:

garychurch84, on 19 Dec 2013 - 10:04, said:

read that in the link you posted
If Toyota tells you to run a certain motor oil are you going to do it?

It's all just recommendations.

You can run whatever size batteries together you want.

You just won't get the opltimal results.

Edited by pmureika

I'm not arguing. In the post where you put the link.I REPLIED +1 good I have an isolator I can set aside now.It put it up in the middle prolly didn't see it lol

Edited by garychurch84

Running different sizes of batteries is not bad for them

running different battery types aka AGM or Lead Acid can be an issue but its unlikely unless the car sits around for a long time draining the smaller one.

Julian, on 19 Dec 2013 - 11:38, said:

running different battery types aka AGM or Lead Acid can be an issue but its unlikely unless the car sits around for a long time draining the smaller one.

I can agree with that.

But not using a cap.

Technology may change that?

I can agree with that.

But not using a cap.

I wouldn't use caps in a car, ever.

I can agree with that.

But not using a cap.

I wouldn't use caps in a car, ever.

Never say ever!

What kind of cap are you talking about? Like a fosgate cap or a bank of super capacitors?

If he only wants 10.5f, he isn't wanting an ultra cap.

Caps for voltage filtering is a cosmetic install. Not needed but user choice. Nothing negative about it when used for that purpose.

If he only wants 10.5f, he isn't wanting an ultra cap.

Caps for voltage filtering is a cosmetic install. Not needed but user choice. Nothing negative about it when used for that purpose.

ie, the ONLY benefit is to help your headlights it does NOTHING for your stereo.

NO rears and NO cap. If the store you are at recommends either, quit.