ncc74656

determine cap size and or power cell size

i would buy the hertz drivers in a heart beat, they sound much better than my alpines ever did and a lot better then my current setup. i intend to pick them up in January some time.  they are about the same price as alpine and that price range is acceptable to me for speakers. i do think its ludicrous to spend 1200.00 on a set of speakers however, i also cant wrap my head around those rockford preloaded P1's. its a dual 12" enclosure with a vent in the center and they have a grill in the middle. i installed one the other day and was horrified by the port noise that thing has! i was embarrassed to turn it on in-front of hte customer but he thought it sounded better than any other sub he had heard.  i just cant fathom why Rockford would design a box with there name on it that is tuned so high and has such poor port design. 

Edited by ncc74656

i would buy the hertz drivers in a heart beat, they sound much better than my alpines ever did and a lot better then my current setup. i intend to pick them up in January some time.  they are about the same price as alpine and that price range is acceptable to me for speakers. i do think its ludicrous to spend 1200.00 on a set of speakers however, i also cant wrap my head around those rockford preloaded P1's. its a dual 12" enclosure with a vent in the center and they have a grill in the middle. i installed one the other day and was horrified by the port noise that thing has! i was embarrassed to turn it on in-front of hte customer but he thought it sounded better than any other sub he had heard.  i just cant fathom why Rockford would design a box with there name on it that is tuned so high and has such poor port design. 

Because RF is a company and companies try to make the most profit. Most people want something that looks good, they've never heard anything better, they are the same people that think Bose sounds amazing.

i do think bose sound very good but again i do not think they sound as good as there price. a nice set of sony floor standing speakers with a good receiver (like a yamaha) will sound better for the same price compared to bose, imho.

still as a company i would think that there name is worth something. the same company that makes the BC2500.1's puts out this crappy sub design... just dont get it.

If your largest market was a market you didn't like but you could make 80% of your money there would you ignore it? From your responses, it sounds like you would. Of course if you were publicly held that wouldn't be your choice if you wanted to stay employed.

im not saying i would ignore it but its like; if you build cars and you know your market likes having noise while driving so you add paddles to whack the ground while driving would you want your cars to be known for knocking while going down the road? there many ways to make a box look good with out deliberately adding performance degrading hardware to it.  i fully agree that you want to do what ever you can to hold and grow your core market but at the expense of quality and performance seems counter productive to me.

im not saying i would ignore it but its like; if you build cars and you know your market likes having noise while driving so you add paddles to whack the ground while driving would you want your cars to be known for knocking while going down the road? there many ways to make a box look good with out deliberately adding performance degrading hardware to it.  i fully agree that you want to do what ever you can to hold and grow your core market but at the expense of quality and performance seems counter productive to me.

It isn't at the expense of quality and performance since those options are both price dependent.

As for your analogy, BMW in their M series and other manufacturers have long changed intake and exhaust routing to increase the engine noise in cabin. Adding paddles would be stupid of course, but the market would never say that is a good idea.

meh, i suppose what ever makes the money...

on a side note i spent 4 hours today in the shop pulling my truck apart. i swear to god i have no idea what i was thinking when i installed 40% of this wiring. im heading to pick up an amp tonight and tomorrow i hope to get things running again. i also got around to replacing my batteries today and now the truck is running VERY strange so i need to pull everything out of the engine bay tomorrow and figure out what wire i missed during the rehook, its such a mess under there that i cant make heads or tails of most my harnesses. the previous owner added a plethora of wires that are T tapped and but crimped together all over the place. If i had 3 days off in a row id love to just pull all the factory wiring and rip all the junk out of it.

edit: i went out and bought a craigs list amp, 300 bucks for a KX2500.1 from 2005, the guys that are 1 ohm stable. ill be running at 2 ohm but im still expecting it to be better than my old ZX2500.1 from 08. factoring in the price id say i would be hard pressed to have made a bad buy.

Edited by ncc74656

spent all day today at work on my truck. brings the total up to 23 hours spent on the electrical and stereo but its all rewired, distro blocks, fuses, OFC wiring, ect. i have a few grounds to replace but apart from that things are looking up. now we do not have a o scope at our store and i would like ot buy a basic one to play with and learn to tune with. can you recommend an o scope that will be appropriate for this job that does not break the bank?

No, because you have no real need for an o-scope. Not to be an ass, but didn't we discuss this before? It can be a useful tool in the right hands and for the right purposes, but for the average enthusiast and installer there really isn't a need unless you want to get into the business of electronics analysis and repair....in which case I'd suggest you hit up some electronics or engineering classes before you start pulling out the equipment.

An o-scope isn't going to help you set gains, or crossovers, or many other daily functions that most people think they want an o-scope for. In fact I think they're dangerous because once you have something that spits out numbers or graphs people stop thinking and put all of their faith into the numbers without even considering the flaws of their methods and without understanding what those numbers or graphs really mean. So they think they've measured something they didn't or set something in a manor they haven't because they have this fancy machine they don't understand and a flawed methodology and understanding of how to use said machine. Just look at how many people put their faith in "clamp tests" because they own a DMM and clamp meter and those two things give them some "numbers" without understanding why those numbers don't mean anything. Or the number of people who set their amps with a DMM, o-scope or DD1 and then can't figure out why it either sounds like shit or why they're still blowing shit. Because they have these fancy machines spitting out numbers and they stop thinking and assume the machine must be right because it spits out numbers, and numbers don't lie.

[/soapbox]

sweet, thanks. see now thats a helpful gent right there. he does not get hung up on the question of application but rather gives a useful link to a product that he himself owns and uses. what a guy.

on another note: my lights are dimming a bit when driving, i just got the system running again tonight and my voltage is steady over 13V but i still have a bit of dimming. what would you suggest i do to solve the issue? i still have my factory alt i could add back to the system to give me a further 138A or i could buy a 3rd battery.

sweet, thanks. see now thats a helpful gent right there. he does not get hung up on the question of application but rather gives a useful link to a product that he himself owns and uses. what a guy.

Did you order it?

its my dash lights that are dimming, i have one headlight as my retro solutions relay pack is not arriving until Thursday. then ill have my hids back in and running. could i just throw a cap with a diode on the fuse box for hte truck and let that fix the issue? its only 40A worth of internal ringamaru while the trucks running.

i am in the process of ordering the recommended o scope, however shipping seems to be an issue as the local Richie express rail road has broken down. don't worry tho as once its back up i will for sure order that sucker for over night delivery. 

Edited by ncc74656