jonbearsmt

calling the wrench turners... not the page surfers

so i picked up another navigator,

when i test drove it was missing and had some other issues... we agreed on a price, and a list of things to be fixed before i picked it up.... a tune up being on the list,

so i assumed the mechanic fixed it because he called me to come get it.. so foolishly while the mechine finished up some small shit, i went and put the money down and signed the papers,

as is of course,

i go out to leave.. i start it up .. and its missing!

so i jump out and tell home boy its missing. put the  computer on it....

cylinder 7 not contributing , same as before,

so i assumed it was the coil, ( a very common issue with the fords) so i ordered a coil, today i finaly had time to replace it.. so i went down to the dealer.. barrowed some tools, .. removed the asshole of a coil cover, then i was scared to see a new coil was already in #7 .. fuck!.

so replaced it anyhow... still missing, ... shit!

so i checked to make sure the coil was getting fire.. yup.

checked for crank case pressure ... nope.

used a stethoscope to try to check for the injector firing, and it sounded like it was opening and closing,

no smoke, steam or  anything from the tail pipe,

no oil in the water.. no water in the oil...

so i went in and talked to  ole boy, and were going to do a compression test in the morning, but.. unless its a valve i cant see how the cylinder can be dead.

so at this point im praying the injector is clogged,....

its a 32 valve 5.4  dual over head.

any input

Check the spark plug. It could be cracked internally, go buy some champion spark plugs and gap them properly.

Spark plugs can be an issue in the ford modular motors, they get seized in and break when trying to change them.

Check the spark plug. It could be cracked internally, go buy some champion spark plugs and gap them properly.

it had a miss on 7 before the tune up... replaced the plugs and the coil, and # is still missing, ... brand new plug gapped correctly  brand new coil.

i dont care for the brand of plug but.. still the fact remains ... before and after still 7 is missing

OMG, no!  Do not ever use Champion, especially in a mod motor.   Motorcraft, Bosch, or NGK.

Sounds like an injector...Gas, air, and spark.  Unless the cam is wiped- it is getting air....you have replaced the spark parts.  has to be fuel- and since it is only #7, i am suspicious of the injector.  try puuling the fuel rail, and swap it with the #5, and see if the miss goes with it.

OMG, no!  Do not ever use Champion, especially in a mod motor.   Motorcraft, Bosch, or NGK.

i prefer motorcraft or NGK .. but  shitty more popular plug was used IMO

Sounds like an injector...Gas, air, and spark.  Unless the cam is wiped- it is getting air....you have replaced the spark parts.  has to be fuel- and since it is only #7, i am suspicious of the injector.  try puuling the fuel rail, and swap it with the #5, and see if the miss goes with it.

im going to get with another one of my shops in the morning, they should have a core ready for me to pick up.. and it has the same injectors, they owe me a favor.. so ill grab a few injectors from the core, and replace it.. and see whats up

I can send you some if you need.  IIRC, they are 24lbers.  If you rule the injector out, I would be suspect of the HLAs collapsing. 

I've never had an issue with champion spark plugs. I've had issues with most others personally

I can send you some if you need.  IIRC, they are 24lbers.  If you rule the injector out, I would be suspect of the HLAs collapsing. 

the hydro  lifter?

the hydro  lifter?

Yes.

What does the plug look like? 

If I get a chance, I'll pull the cam cover off my 4.6 tomorrow and show you what I mean.

i know what you mean, if the lifter is collapsed then t he valve wont open correctly

ok....

the compression test confimed the bad news ...

#6 had 182 LBs .. # had 85 lbs :(

took the cylender to bottom... put compressed air in the cylender .. and he came out of the tail pipe...

i need a head job....

hes going to do it..

but i have a question for you ryan .... are these head bolts studs or bolts?

if they are studs then the motor has to come out.

It will have torque-to-yield bolts. That means you have to purchase new bolts for them as they can not be re-used.

I would pull the cam cover, then the cam and see what you can do.  YOu might just have a broken HLA, follower (this will look like a rocker arm), or combination.

I don't know what you plan for repair is, but the navigator heads are one of the best flowing modular heads available and you can get a good amount of money out of them if you sell to the Mustang crowd.

well i planed to have them both pulled and rebuilt, ... a reman is 340 each side, .. i can have them re worked for about 220 for the set,

so as of now i plan to have them reworked, .. and while im in there replacing the timing chain...

im not going to be doing the work,

im holding the dealer responcibale .. as i explained to him .. he told me he would call me once all the repairs were done and it was good to go.. he called me.. i trusted  that the truck was fixed. i paid and signed based on that trust, and before i left the lot. i had him check it again because it was not correct...

he offered me out of the deal. ,minus the cost of parts that i had him put on it.. or give him the chance to make it right...  i want him to repair it.

i think he only wants to rebuild the one side.. i want both heads done.....

vato zone wanted 420 for a timing set.. WTF.. so im shopping for a cheaper one now.

Call the Modular Head Shop.  Nick McKinney is a genius with the mod heads.  He has awesome prices too and will match timing gears.

do i need to buy replacement sprockets as well ? or just the chain and guides?

You can re-use the gears. Most kits come with new ones.

yeah, mhs is great for gaskets. the head bolts are tty, but i was cheap when i had to pull my head and i just re-used my 260k+ miles headbolts, put them in a rag of motor oil and when i put them back in, i did fords torque specs plus a little just for my own peace of mind. that was last spring and i'm currently at 296k miles still no problems.

the motorcrafts are cheap and are iridium i believe..

Start it up and unplug each coil 1x1 with it running, if it doesnt run any different when its unplugged that one is gonna be ur problem.

Also the rubber elbow on the back of the manifold usually goes bad aka crack or hole, i think the replacement is in the help section of most autoparts

what? 

i  know what the issue is.... i need a head job.

ryan, so you know why the left head always goes bad? what about that side, makes 6 7 or 8   go thru valves ?

seems how im redoing both heads.. i would like to prevent needing to do it again !