SacredTanakh

A sharper alternative tweeter

I have a few morel 378s. While they sound very nice, flat, loud, and can be crossed over quite low, they don't have the high end extension and sharpness that I have come to like. I tried out the ft1s which are quite the opposite in sound to the 378s.

They do have the high end extension and sharpness, but are definitely lacking highly in the lower end and are also a little peaky.

I've looked around at pro audio to home audio, super tweeter to regular tweeter, but have not found a hard dome tweeter that has relatively flat response, around 100-200w rms, 90-100db sensitivity, 4-8ohm.

They will be run in either a set or two sets actively, on the zed leviathan. Cost really isn't an issue, but nothing too crazy.

Any recommendations are helpful, even to looking in another direction.

I've looked around at pro audio to home audio, super tweeter to regular tweeter, but have not found a hard dome tweeter that has relatively flat response, around 100-200w rms, 90-100db sensitivity, 4-8ohm.

That is because you are picking pointless ratings for shopping. Ignore the impedance, power handling and sensitivity. In a tweeter you really shouldn't have to care about any of the above.

The first question is always WHERE. Have to know those limitations first. Also helpful to know what you are blending them with, where they are mounted and what the limitations of the mid are (assuming you have them already).

Considering you have the Morel's and don't like them, it would be good to know what settings you are using and such. And more detail on what they don't do. "High end extension" can mean greatly different things to many people and I would consider "sharpness" and absolute negative, but I bet in your description it is something else entirely.

That is because you are picking pointless ratings for shopping. Ignore the impedance, power handling and sensitivity. In a tweeter you really shouldn't have to care about any of the above.

The first question is always WHERE. Have to know those limitations first. Also helpful to know what you are blending them with, where they are mounted and what the limitations of the mid are (assuming you have them already).

Considering you have the Morel's and don't like them, it would be good to know what settings you are using and such. And more detail on what they don't do. "High end extension" can mean greatly different things to many people and I would consider "sharpness" and absolute negative, but I bet in your description it is something else entirely.

I only put the impedance and such so that someone didn't recommend something completely off, but yes I understand that.

I am happy so far with the aurum cantus ac165/50c2c, crossed at 80hz to 4khz, don't remember the slope atm on either though. The tweeters are crossed at 4k 12db slope. The Eq is completely flat for all of this. The headunit is an pioneer 80prs, and the amp is the leviathan. The mids seem to do well on the low end 40-60hz and high end but midbass 80-150hz seems to be their weak point, but I'm not a big fan of real loud midbass anyway. They are in the stock door location, no other speakers in the vehicle other then subwoofer.

I had the tweeters when testing (both the 378s and ft1s) in pods in the corners of the dash/bottom of a pillars. Which I realize isn't a good place for the tweeters but I'm trying to find the right tweeter before cutting up the doors more. My plan is either for the a pillars or doors, probably doors just because everyone recommends that. Also I was thinking of adding a 10in aurum cantus mid when I glass the doors. Which I'm guessing you guys will shoot down pretty quick.

The only thing that makes me consider another tweeter then the morel 378 is there is small things in songs, like I barely hear some of the background sounds, clicks and hiss, that gives the song it's ambiance in quite a few songs, it feels like it's missing something, and I can't quite pinpoint it. I hear it clearly in the ceramic domes I had previously, and the ft1s. I tried playing with the eq but didn't like much of what I changed, preferred to leave it flat.

how are they aimed? maybe some pics are in order. 

they are pointed head level slightly toward the center

Also forgot to mention they are the horn loaded version of the 378

do you have acces to an RTA and someone if not you, that can help you with a measurement ?

seems to to me that your problems are all build related , aiming ald locating tweters , kickbass is very probable a weakness in your doors .

so standing waves and resonances are probably your problem

why not re-evaluate your build and play a little , to me sharpness and detail are not in the same book and most tweeters easily outperform  kick/mid drivers...

Have you tried playing with the aiming? Horn loaded tweeters are going to be very sensitive on the top end to aiming as their off-axis response falls very quickly.

Have you tried playing with the aiming? Horn loaded tweeters are going to be very sensitive on the top end to aiming as their off-axis response falls very quickly.

Not a lot, but the dispersion seems pretty wide. The Ft1s have a much narrower horn, and were pointed in the same way. Ill play with that tomorrow and see what happens.

I looked at the part of the evanescence song that the issue is most noticeable in, and it seems to be in the 8100-17500 range. Ill try equalizing that area up a little bit and see if there is an improvement.

Don't boost cut the rest. And before that listen to just a single tweeter on and off axis in the portion of the song that you are currently bothered by. Make sure it is what you think it is before trying to fix it.

Don't boost cut the rest. And before that listen to just a single tweeter on and off axis in the portion of the song that you are currently bothered by. Make sure it is what you think it is before trying to fix it.

Will do, Thanks :)

Definitely report back what you hear, hopefully will really help narrow things down.

Definitely report back what you hear, hopefully will really help narrow things down.

It sounds fine on that part of the song with only the one tweeter hooked up... So they seem to be canceling each other out on those high frequencies. I'm going to double check the phase and such, see if its as simple as that.