Quentin Jarrell

HP 6930...something better than the deal I found?????

Found a refurbished HP EliteBook 6930p for $265 shipped.  Wondering if there are any better deals out there.  It MUST be 32 bit to run the fea programs i use. specs on the one I found

intel core 2 duo 2400 mhz processor

windows 7 professional 32 bit

memory 4096 mb

320 gig serial ATA hard drive

dvd-rw

802 11 ab6 wireless card

not too worried about graphics or audio.  will just be using this for fea analysis and a little web surfing. 

About the only better deal I could find. It is previously used though.

I have to ask though. Are you using the Autodesk version of software as they usually let you use the same key for both their 32 and 64 bit?

http://www.cowboom.com/product/848404

Edited by nadcicle

no, not doing any 3d cad work.  The FEA programs are transducer and magnetics analysis programs.

While any 32 bit version of whatever software should work normally on 64 bit by creating a (x86) Program Files folder and running in auto emulate mode I would really look in to trying it on a buddies computer. Hell I'd be willing to test it any see if it will run on mine as every new laptop out comes with 64 bit going forward except netbooks. Care to PM me and I will see about trying to find the program and running it and letting you know if it works?

The programs I run are proprietary and aren't avaliable to the public. I have a desktop running windows 8 one running windows 7 64 bit and a Mac. None of them will work, even in capatibility mode.

You could also use openbox or vmware to run a virtualization of windows XP 32 bit on your current computers.

This

You could also use openbox or vmware to run a virtualization of windows XP 32 bit on your current computers.

Was just about to chime back in with running it virtualized, but looks like everyone pretty much already suggested that. 

At this day and age I wouldn't be looking at a 32bit version of Windows 7 over 64bit for any reason that I could help.

The i3 architecture is leaps and bounds supposed to be better than core 2 duo and I would still stand by my decision on running one over the other for reasons including speed, battery life, and the ability to have over 4gb of ram helps to run a virtual machine.

So I downloaded the program. Actually I downloaded workspace, uninstalled it and installed the older link posted. Now. How do I go about getting an operating system. They have so much different stuff on their site it's Greek to me. Preferably I'd like to run windows 98 but the programs will work on 7 32 bit.

Also with windows 8 I can't even install the programs from disc. I assume this will be a non issue once VMware is up and running?

So I downloaded the program. Actually I downloaded workspace, uninstalled it and installed the older link posted. Now. How do I go about getting an operating system. They have so much different stuff on their site it's Greek to me. Preferably I'd like to run windows 98 but the programs will work on 7 32 bit.

Also with windows 8 I can't even install the programs from disc. I assume this will be a non issue once VMware is up and running?

windows XP should do the trick for the fea, leap, etc. I'll look for an image file later, I know there's a few floating around around that are free and legal.

Okay you can use this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7 to run windows xp on your windows 7 computer and it should do everything you need.

If that presents a problem then you can follow this guide http://blog.zeltser.com/post/15781390680/windows-xp-mode-for-vmware-virtualization to import the free windows xp from above into vmware.

:)

Edited by Aaron Clinton