supragod98

Bad news for the IA80.1

Seems the IA80.1 is getting a bad rep.  Read on other forums of amps blowing, lower scores, and clamp test of it not doing rated power.

Clamp test are meaningless.....

So what about lower scores on supposed equal/more power when switching to these amps?  And what about the amps blowing?.

Edited by supragod98

What amps did they switch from? What's their electrical like? Did they wire to the same ohms? All these things plus more makes a difference.

Um.. i just read the whole thread as of 2:46pm EST and i see nothing wrong with the amp.. 

The amps "blew" because of human error.

The testing wasn't done at RATED voltage.

Lower scores = human error\ sub malfunctions.

Wait until the people providing you with information has facts.

Also, owner of IA would not release something like this if it were bad.

IA is a lot bigger than you can imagine.

I posted my comments to this already, alot of this is blown out of proportion. I find humor that someone can do a test and yet everyone on the net thinks that we all of a sudden we make a horrible product. Look at the post and read the comments, the test in my mind isn't valid. But the amps still makes between 7300-8600 watts depending on how you view the results.

Edited by Incriminator

Morons will be morons. And that includes anyone that puts ANY merit into a "clamp" test.

Seems the IA80.1 is getting a bad rep.  Read on other forums of amps blowing, lower scores, and clamp test of it not doing rated power.

Smells like trolling to me.

One thing I did see during world's was awesome customer service. It was awesome that Craig still got to run even after having a full day of nothing but issues.

Objectivity is out the window with most car audio...  People who don't understand what is actually going on perpetuate all this BS.

Not even clicking the link because it doesn't matter what it says.....a clamp test is meaningless.

The rest of it...meh. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true. As 95Honda correctly stated, majority of the internet car audio crowd doesn't understand objectivity. They do one thing, assume it's a foolproof method of comparison when it was flawed from the start, and then the rest of the sheep hop on the bandwagon with them. Having access to equipment that produces numbers (clamp meters, SPL meters, etc) only makes things worse because the assumption is there that if they post numbers, those numbers must be valid. Which couldn't be more wrong.

The issue I see is the fact that they are expensive enough that not a lot of people are going to have them so any naysayers that actually have the 80.1 are going to make a bigger impact then a amp in which a lot of people have. I'm sure the amp is quality and its user error, but like I said even just one or two can get the bad rep going pretty strong with something like this.

It makes me feel old to pull the "back in my day" line.....but it wasn't that long ago $1/watt was reasonable and $.50/watt was a pretty darn good deal. Now you have all of these internet rebadger a selling amps for pennies and suddenly $.28/watt is expensive. Well sure all of the other guys stuff are cheaper when they're ordering amps like it's a Chinese takeout menu......order an OEM buildhouse board, make a couple small changes and throw their label on the heatsink.

It makes me feel old to pull the "back in my day" line.....but it wasn't that long ago $1/watt was reasonable and $.50/watt was a pretty darn good deal. Now you have all of these internet rebadger a selling amps for pennies and suddenly $.28/watt is expensive. Well sure all of the other guys stuff are cheaper when they're ordering amps like it's a Chinese takeout menu......order an OEM buildhouse board, make a couple small changes and throw their label on the heatsink.

I'm not saying the price is unreasonable, Its just more then most people would invest in a single piece of equipment. You could buy a decently running older car for the price of the 80.1

It wasn't just a "clamp test" There was a "clamp test" done. Taylor has a new scope on the way and will retest. There's very few people whom I would trust in the car audio world, but Taylor is one of them. I've seen his amp test setup. It's not a red neck garage. Hopefully the retest will reveal  some better results. The NS-1 didn't do so well either, but it's also designed as a high voltage amp. 

At least change the title of the post! It is making sound like its exploding and catching fire to everything in site and killing people. Maybe that was your intent in the beginning?

IA seems to be priced like Sundown Audio, at least for their amps. Not the cheapest, but not expensive like others.

I don't see their products very often on the internet, but I can see they have a strong reputation, much stronger than a lot of brands. I'm not an expert to tell why. I'd just guess the products have good designs and maybe are well built ( I hope so !);

I think a lot of the problem with negative reviews is people don't get the whole story! eek5wavey.gif

It wasn't just a "clamp test" There was a "clamp test" done. Taylor has a new scope on the way and will retest. There's very few people whom I would trust in the car audio world, but Taylor is one of them. I've seen his amp test setup. It's not a red neck garage. Hopefully the retest will reveal  some better results. The NS-1 didn't do so well either, but it's also designed as a high voltage amp.

If he used a clamp and drew ANY conclusions then anything this Taylor does should be taken with a grain of salt. Obviously clueless.

95Honda and m5 have already taken care of most of it. I don't care who he is, or that he has a scope......his method and "test" is flawed for multiple reasons and results are meaningless. And that is part of the problem....people don't understand this, and instead defend and regurgitate the meaningless results.

I don't believe I have ever seen a real, meaningful, valid test done by an average (or advanced) user or competitor of an amplifier......ever. That includes Taylor. They don't have the equipment and they don't have the testing rigor. They have the blind leading the blind. Nothing more.

Also, please don't take my views as a simple bash on the guy doing the test.  I am only basing my opinion on experience.

I just finished up a 2 year tenure here:

www.afotec.af.mil

I was a suitability evaluator.  Basically, I evaluated electronic systems for the military.  I used extensive amounts of test equipment and completed objective test reports on military space assets, in other words, I know what I am doing.

This is why I have a tough time with a lot of "car audio" tests...

Since everything was done wrong even though none of claim to have read the review, please enlighten us as to what he did wrong? .9 volts is not going to net you another 2k+ 

Like I said, I'll wait for the retest. 

Take into consideration that this is a fixed resistance test. Voltage and amperage are not out of phase as they are in a standard clamp test. This is about as close to "real world" numbers as it gets.