So getting ready to order my head unit and was wondering if anyone has any experience with my choices. right now i am debating...

JVC  KW.R900bt

Clarion cx501

kenwood dpx500bt

pioneer fhx700bt

Alpine cde w235bt

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Pretty sure all will do the job just the reviews are all pretty much the same so looking for better opinions

pioneer 80prs

clarion nx702

but really, first tell us what you are wanting out of your system. Tell us some of the basic functionality you feel is a must have. We can't recommend anything without know what you are wanting. And please say more than just "sound good"

really just wanted a front usb and a 3.5mm jack. would be nice to have a separate sub control but since my amp will have a remote really don't need it. For the most part all have the same options just different rms wattage and output voltage. Will be running my 6.5s off the deck but not a big wattage diffence between any of them. i think the lowest is the pioneer at 14rms and the high is the jvc at 22rms. Really just wanting to know if anyone has any real world use with them. i have used like 3 pioneers in the past and thought they sounded great..until i had purchased a eclipse deck. but have had use of the other brands

Nearly any head unit will give you that functionality. If you want to amp your door speakers down the road, though, I'd recommend getting a head unit with 3 sets of preouts. I'd recommend 4V or higher preouts, too..

I'm personally fond of Kenwood/JVC and Clarion head units. Alpines are also nice, but are generally pricier than others for the same functionality. 

i was pretty much sold on the jvc one but figured i would ask about the others

I'd recommend getting a head unit with 3 sets of preouts. I'd recommend 4V or higher preouts, too..

4v, 2v doesn't matter. Just get a decent unit with enough outputs and you will be fine.

Best budget buy will ALWAYS be used.

I'd recommend getting a head unit with 3 sets of preouts. I'd recommend 4V or higher preouts, too..

4v, 2v doesn't matter. Just get a decent unit with enough outputs and you will be fine.

It actually does make a difference in many installs.. Not always, but if you have noise, 2v preouts will require the noise to be amplified twice as much as 4v outputs.

the jvc is 5v the kenwood is 2.5v..would i even notice a difference?

If you have noise, yes... If you don't have noise, probably not.

It actually does make a difference in many installs.. Not always, but if you have noise, 2v preouts will require the noise to be amplified twice as much as 4v outputs.

It isn't "if you have noise" but if you are driving your amplifier gain into an area where thermally they aren't quiet anymore. If you have a shitty amp, then yep, you are going to have thermal noise at a much lower level requiring more input.

Also, for once contemplate the difference between 2v & 4v in db and then think how often you could have a spot where your amp would have to be in the same position to make the same noise occur between the two. Between that and the fact of how often a 4v head can really output 4v it is a pretty big meh to me as a spec. I wouldn't at all care.

///M5, on 31 Dec 2013 - 22:38, said:

SantaClawZ, on 31 Dec 2013 - 22:09, said:

///M5, on 31 Dec 2013 - 21:42, said:

SantaClawZ, on 31 Dec 2013 - 19:05, said:

SantaClawZ, on 31 Dec 2013 - 22:33, said:

>

coot, on 31 Dec 2013 - 22:31, said:

It isn't "if you have noise" but if you are driving your amplifier gain into an area where thermally they aren't quiet anymore. If you have a shitty amp, then yep, you are going to have thermal noise at a much lower level requiring more input.

Also, for once contemplate the difference between 2v & 4v in db and then think how often you could have a spot where your amp would have to be in the same position to make the same noise occur between the two. Between that and the fact of how often a 4v head can really output 4v it is a pretty big meh to me as a spec. I wouldn't at all care.

Also consider this though: RCA signal noise from a 2v preout will be amplified twice as much as noise from a 4v preout.

And you're right about preout ratings.. They're usually highly exagerrated from my personal testing.

Edited by SantaClawZ

Also consider this though: RCA signal noise from a 2v preout will be amplified twice as much as noise from a 4v preout.

So you screw up your install and then are worried about voltage on your headunit? Noise created exclusively because of your RCA cables should be addressed by replacing/updating cables.

So you screw up your install and then are worried about voltage on your headunit? Noise created exclusively because of your RCA cables should be addressed by replacing/updating cables.

lol.. if you say so. RCA noise from a 4v preout will be less than that from a 2v preout when amplified to the same level, and that's a fact.

didnt mean to start a argument.......

Just make sure you have good terminations, and solid ground points- and noise 'shouldn't' be an issue.  I've had 5v JVC's and 2V head units as well(my currect is a Walmart $125.00 Pioneer unit that is noise free.

I feel that with any brand name H/U you'll get satifactory results.

Just make sure you have good terminations, and solid ground points- and noise 'shouldn't' be an issue.  I've had 5v JVC's and 2V head units as well(my currect is a Walmart $125.00 Pioneer unit that is noise free.

RCA shielding/routing also has a lot to do with noise. Without shelling out quite a bit on RCAs, they're not going to block much if any noise.

RCA shielding/routing also has a lot to do with noise. Without shelling out quite a bit on RCAs, they're not going to block much if any noise.

agreed-  i am also running Knu Koncepts cheapest rca's.  i run the power and signal as far apart as feasable...

agreed-  i am also running Knu Koncepts cheapest rca's.  i run the power and signal as far apart as feasable...

dont worry about running rca's close the power wire. 

lol.. if you say so. RCA noise from a 4v preout will be less than that from a 2v preout when amplified to the same level, and that's a fact.
You are really misinterpreting everything. If the noise is from a source up stream of the rca it will be equally amplified by the amplifier. If it is from the rca then you have an install problem. And again if you think about the dB difference and audible masking it is really rather pointless.

Stop regurgitating junk someone who doesn't know what they are doing has told you and think about it for a minute. If you really think that when you have noise from RCA's the best thing to do is to change your headunit, well then you are confused. Solve the problem and stop the ineffective bandaid.

dont worry about running rca's close the power wire.
Ha, try to run them away from the ground as well please wink.png

An extra ground to my HU solved my problem.OP any of those will prolly do

You are really misinterpreting everything. If the noise is from a source up stream of the rca it will be equally amplified by the amplifier. If it is from the rca then you have an install problem. And again if you think about the dB difference and audible masking it is really rather pointless.

Stop regurgitating junk someone who doesn't know what they are doing has told you and think about it for a minute. If you really think that when you have noise from RCA's the best thing to do is to change your headunit, well then you are confused. Solve the problem and stop the ineffective bandaid.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. For equal output, the gain on the amp will be higher with a head unit with 2v preouts vs a head unit with 4v preouts. If both sources have an equal amount of signal noise, the noise from the 2v preout will be amplified more due to the higher gain setting. This is mostly applicable for RCA noise, because any noise before the RCA is going to vary depending on the head unit and other factors.

Also, I never said swapping your head unit was the best way to get rid of RCA noise, because it is not. It's simply one way to reduce it but not nearly the best option; however, I wouldn't go quite as far as to call it ineffective. The best solution for RCA noise is to purchase or build properly shielded RCA interconnects and/or route the cables away from any sources of noise. 

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. For equal output, the gain on the amp will be higher with a head unit with 2v preouts vs a head unit with 4v preouts. If both sources have an equal amount of signal noise, the noise from the 2v preout will be amplified more due to the higher gain setting. This is mostly applicable for RCA noise, because any noise before the RCA is going to vary depending on the head unit and other factors.

Also, I never said swapping your head unit was the best way to get rid of RCA noise, because it is not. It's simply one way to reduce it but not nearly the best option; however, I wouldn't go quite as far as to call it ineffective. The best solution for RCA noise is to purchase or build properly shielded RCA interconnects and/or route the cables away from any sources of noise.

I think you have confused yourself.

Describe your concern in dB and you'll understand. If you have xdB of music and ydB of noise whether it is at 2v or 4v and you amplify it, what happens?

And no, you didn't say swap your headunit but the reasons you are using for a 4v instead of a 2v don't exist which means that by definition your recommendation of a 4v hu for reducing noise is saying to buy one to do that. Glad you realized actually fixing the source of the problem instead of attempting to put a band aid on it is a good idea.

I think you have confused yourself.

Describe your concern in dB and you'll understand. If you have xdB of music and ydB of noise whether it is at 2v or 4v and you amplify it, what happens?

And no, you didn't say swap your headunit but the reasons you are using for a 4v instead of a 2v don't exist which means that by definition your recommendation of a 4v hu for reducing noise is saying to buy one to do that. Glad you realized actually fixing the source of the problem instead of attempting to put a band aid on it is a good idea.

I haven't confused myself, but I appear to have confused you.

I presented facts showing how higher voltage preouts are superior for minimizing some sources of noise. I'm talking about noise introduced after the preout source, not from the preout source itself. Personally, I don't have to worry about such noise because of my choice in interconnects and routing, but many people do have noise issues. A head unit that costs slightly more will often be more practical than buying multiple sets of high priced RCA interconnects. Yes, the noise will still be there, but it won't be as noticable.