stevemead08

DSS Tridents and Twisted Sounds S-10. Road to 166dBs

Why are you replacing the starting battery with caps?

Yessir. A 12v bank.

Yessir. A 12v bank.

Lol. Why?

Batteries will pull the caps voltage down.

Caps only resting voltage is where you shut them down at.

Say you charge at 15.5. Battery rests at 12.8. Next time you fire it up. Everything is at the lower value.

Let caps sit at 15.5 for a week, they may drop down .1 or .2v.

Park a battery at 14v. After a week, it's at 12.x

Because the battery will act as a resistor limiting charging speed

Say you charge at 15.5. Battery rests at 12.8. Next time you fire it up. Everything is at the lower value.

That makes sense. I take it the caps have enough reserve so they won't drain from the ecu / clock / etc if you didn't drive it for a week or so?

That makes sense. I take it the caps have enough reserve so they won't drain from the ecu / clock / etc if you didn't drive it for a week or so?
if I disconnected the battery, they will drop a few tenths, the first. Then maybe .1 or .2 per week.

After a week of sitting with a battery in parallel, they will drop to batteries resting voltage.

Caps have very low reserve, but when you only need instantaneous power, they are king.

Now say my alt died, I'd be screwed. That being said, I can always pull the fused links to my bank just start the truck with a backup battery I keep in the bed. (unhooked) then move my charge wires to my 2nd alt. (currently unused because of class restrictions)

All things considered, I don't daily drive the truck anyhow.

if I disconnected the battery, they will drop a few tenths, the first. Then maybe .1 or .2 per week.

After a week of sitting with a battery in parallel, they will drop to batteries resting voltage.

Caps have very low reserve, but when you only need instantaneous power, they are king.

Now say my alt died, I'd be screwed. That being said, I can always pull the fused links to my bank just start the truck with a backup battery I keep in the bed. (unhooked) then move my charge wires to my 2nd alt. (currently unused because of class restrictions)

Gotcha. That's essentially what I was thinking in the back of my head if something happened.

Question.

You're rebuilding the system to play daily, well to ground pound at heatwave. So how is the cap bank going to help in that direction? Or can you demo with the dual alt setup you have helping the cap bank? 

A cap bank setup along with a battery bank would be good for someone like me who has regulated voltage and I compete also, so even though they would only sit at 14.1 while the truck is running when I compete the voltage may not drop as hard as a pure battery setup. Say 6 batteries and 4-6 banks of caps? Curious how voltage would look after a 30 second run vs all batteries.

Question.

You're rebuilding the system to play daily, well to ground pound at heatwave. So how is the cap bank going to help in that direction? Or can you demo with the dual alt setup you have helping the cap bank?

well I have a $4k cap bank already. I didn't buy it to demo with, I bought it to compete. I'm not going to go buy a battery bank for a show.

My goal it to do some demos this weekend but at the end of the day, it's a competition truck.

I won't be using both alts.

I have 111 caps and a Badass alternator. I'll get back with you on Monday and let you know how it did, because I have no idea what's going to happen.

yeah please do, because I'm curious!

Have you decided what you're going to run for drivers? In the wall?

Well it's more like a modular wall. It fixes to the top of my super stock enclosure. I'll take pics tonight to explain better.right now the ethos are in there and doing very well. The truck sure came alive with lower tuning. Not as loud on the meter, but very impressive for 3 15s tuned lower.

Truck is brutal the way it sits. With the lower tuning the truck played low notes like a champ, with authority!

Truck is brutal the way it sits. With the lower tuning the truck played low notes like a champ, with authority!

Awe, thanks cupcake. Your too sweet.

Lol. Good times this weekend.

But how is that so? Just Burped a 160, but only a 145 on music...

Nice shirt where do you get those

Nice shirt where do you get those

I "think" they are team shirts. I got mine from Jack Sisco

Little update since heatwave. The truck itself has been running like crap, won't stay started, Ect. Got that fixed. Gonna do some maintenance items while I'm at it. LOF, coolant, trans service, and whatnot.

Anyways, I just looked back and realized I never posted results of heatwave. Burp class 751-1500@4ohm class, Burped a 159.6 on almost zero testing. I had just got the truck back playing before I put it in the lanes.

Since nobody else was in my music class, I was messing around during my run. That's the video senchez posted. That's not an actual score, I have no idea why he even posted that in my build log. Well, I have an idea, but ill leave it alone.

No my truck doesn't do a 146 on music.

Now is a good as time as any, I have ordered up subs, from 2 different manufacturers to see what is loudest, and of course what will actually fit.

I have very limited space so I'm sceptical.

When the DSS Tridents come out, ill test them out too.

Stay tuned.

Tuned in for results !!

I'll be here this weekend. If your in the area, come out and hang out.

IMG_2028613950696_zpsx58rxozm.jpeg

IMG_85152271176012_zpses2tzvpv.jpegIMAG0963_zpsiqxsrdqs.jpgIMAG0961_zps19im1tjs.jpg

Arkansas was awesome. Met some great people. Did my personal best at a show 160.3

Set a new Arkansas state record.

Saw some more interest in DSS and did my best to represent proudly.