rowdyful7

loud exhaust

Sorry if this has been asked before but if I decide to get a loud exhaust system is it worth it if my system is my main priority and by is it worth it I mean will it take a full shop pack of deadner for it not to affect my system?

I had an exhaust on both my cars i competed in. Your not gonna run your stereo full blast 100% of the time. I'm you enjoy the sound of a loud exhaust than do it.

Yeah I was thinking since I'm going to give demos while my truck is idle anyways I think with some deadner I'll be fine

If you're in it for SPL then sure, but any type of SQ i'd say don't do it. I've had a number of vehicles straight piped and cherry bombed. The sound of a straight piped cherry bombed 350 in a 96 caprice will drive you insane from the drone after a while. It also depends on the vehicle and how well it is harmonically to the ear to begin with.

This is the same reason I've never piped the Suburban.

Edited by nadcicle

Not really a spl guy I'm just wondering how much deadner it will take to muffle that drone and does any one have any experice with a good off road tire that doesn't whine a lot?

Deadener won't muffle it very well at all. MLV on the other hand can help significantly. A good sound treatment plan will include both along with a decoupler.

I fall into the category of the type though that will do what they can to keep their car as quiet as possible without giving up any performance, beyond that I don't understand.

So where would I order mlv and could I apply some spectrum then put that over it

The ONLY thing deadener is meant to do is to stop panel resonances. All acoustic blocking capability of it otherwise is EXCLUSIVELY because it has mass. The problem with it in that application is that it is thick and expensive per unit mass. That being said it also cannot do its job if it isn't DIRECTLY on the surface you want to change the resonance and damping of.

Meaning you deaden the metal then cover the interior surface completely with MLV that is decoupled from the outer surface itself.

I'm a big fan of contacting Don at SDS.

Glad to help. I'm still trying to figure out the balance between making my Escalade as quiet as possible and making upwards of 750hp tongue.png Need to hurry up as spring is around the corner...

Haha thanks going to be pretty tough I think you might have to bite the bullet and let it roar on that one

It'll be throaty, but the cabin better be quiet.

I've seen on fast n loud they put like a dump off system where it was pretty quite riding around then they flipped a switch and the exhaust would open up or something it would get way louder but just when you needed that extra power I think the ford raptors have a similar system

I use Firestone Destination A/T's on my Jeep and Road noise isn't very loud but there is more aggressive tires to be had.

I've seen on fast n loud they put like a dump off system where it was pretty quite riding around then they flipped a switch and the exhaust would open up or something it would get way louder but just when you needed that extra power I think the ford raptors have a similar system

Uncapping the exhaust is illegal in some states (electronically or manually) ...

pass a cop by mistake with the headers uncapped and they will treat you like a street racer ... most cases not good.

Most vehicles sound really good with a larger diameter pipe set up in a "cat back" format with a nice high performance muffler ... Run you tail pipes completly out the rear or atleast behind the rear tires (45'd out to the rear) and you shouldn't have any problems.

Then again, some people like the sound of turn downs before the rear end ... depends on the sound you are looking for ...

Get a cutout, just flip a switch and it will be quiet for that long drive on the highway, whole day of demos or passing by the cops.

If you are worried about drone and only drone, no amount of deadener, decoupler or any type or "acoustical matting" is going to take care of it.  You need to build something into the exhaust system to cancel out the frequency of the drone.

Glad to help. I'm still trying to figure out the balance between making my Escalade as quiet as possible and making upwards of 750hp :P Need to hurry up as spring is around the corner...

Sounds like some boost is in your future!! I know for a fact that turbos can stay quiet too :)