TheGr33nNinja

First car, desiring first sub

Hello all, I've been a motorcycle rider for 3 years, and am finally joining the cage crew.

So, to get straight to the point, I believe an XCON will satisfy my desires.  I want a sub that hits low and hard.  "SQL" with heavy focus on the L.

So, I have no idea what i'd need to run this setup.  By this I mean big three, HO alternator etc, i'm not sure what i'm looking at.

I don't really have a price range since I've been saving for a while (well, let's just say $2,000 so it doesn't get crazy), my main issue is space.  I drive a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium, so I don't exactly have a huge trunk.

Something I've discovered though is the spare tired is located under the trunk.  So maybe if I took that out i'd be able to fit a bigger box in there.  Not sure.

All I know is I want a ported box so I can hit loud and low, i'm looking at the Sundown 1500 amp to push the XCON, but i'm open to suggestions.

My question is, what will I need to support this amp and sub(mainly electrical system)?  And which size should  I get?  I was originally wanting an 18 because that's louder than 2 12's, but I kind of want to be optimal in my setup.  If an optimal setup on a smaller sub will be louder than a not optimal setup on a bigger sub?  No brainer than.  I'd go louder.

Any advice appreciated!

P.S  I don't know how to build a box or anything and i'm cramped for time (work like 50-60 hours on slow weeks) so i'd take it to a shop and have them build everything for me.

First I'd like to WELCOME.gif  you to SSA, you found the right place!

I agree that an Xcon sounds like it would be right up your alley and the SAZ-1500 is a great amp to pair it with. You're going to want to do the big 3 to start. I actually do this on all vehicles no matter how much power is being used. If it can be worked into the budget, it is always a good idea to upgrade the alternator, especially if you think you might someday add more power. You shouldn't need an HO alternator necessarily but without one you will likely need to add 1-2 batteries. Going with just batteries might be a bit cheaper but you also have to find a place to put them and that may encroach on your available space for amp/s and sub/s which is already limited. Due to the size and shape of the trunk, I would pretty much forget about trying to get an 18 in there and even a 15 might be tough although without some numbers to go by, we're just guessing here. When you get a chance, try to get us some max dimensions inside the trunk so we can help figure out what size box will fit and don't forget about the opening, you have to get the thing in there after all. The box could be built inside the trunk if necessary to maximize airspace in the box but I don't know if that is something you would want to do. Get those numbers to us and we'll be able to better assist you. 

Yea ohjay pretty much said everything you need to know to begin with. A good battery would be a diehard platinum g34. It's a group 34 and should be around $200. It's from serious. I run the bigger one with no complaints.

I sell pre done big 3 kits too, all you have to do is measure out the lengths of where they go (I can tell you where they go if needed).

Also don't let the shop design for you. Building is fine but most shops just try to get the quickest, easiest, highest paid way and they probably won't design the best box. I can design you a box with cutsheet and 3d sketch up. You can take it there and know for sure you're getting a well designed box.

welcome to the forum.... going to catch the audio bug.

i was hoping that the xcon read gcon since i have  a gcon for sale.... 10" d2

I agree that an Xcon sounds like it would be right up your alley and the SAZ-1500 is a great amp to pair it with. You're going to want to do the big 3 to start. I actually do this on all vehicles no matter how much power is being used. If it can be worked into the budget, it is always a good idea to upgrade the alternator, especially if you think you might someday add more power. You shouldn't need an HO alternator necessarily but without one you will likely need to add 1-2 batteries. Going with just batteries might be a bit cheaper but you also have to find a place to put them and that may encroach on your available space for amp/s and sub/s which is already limited. Due to the size and shape of the trunk, I would pretty much forget about trying to get an 18 in there and even a 15 might be tough although without some numbers to go by, we're just guessing here. When you get a chance, try to get us some max dimensions inside the trunk so we can help figure out what size box will fit and don't forget about the opening, you have to get the thing in there after all. The box could be built inside the trunk if necessary to maximize airspace in the box but I don't know if that is something you would want to do. Get those numbers to us and we'll be able to better assist you. 

Thanks for the welcome! biggrin.png

I've been working and spending time with the lady, but I had some time.  I did the best I could to get dimensions, and I even snapped a couple pics.

Before we get started, let me show you guys what i'm working with here.

2mmzv9t.jpg2q1cdjd.jpg

So, from how I measured, I want to play it on the semi safe side to make sure it gets in, and to have a tiny bit of trunk space left over.  Really though I just don't want have a box that's too big to fit so I played it pretty safe on the numbers.  Here's what I got.

Entry size 35"

inside trunk:

17" deep

38.5" wide from wheel hub to wheel hub (i'd have to remove that stock pitiful sub)

12.5" height

Those are my numbers I got.  Again, they're a little safe, but I just wouldn't want a box too big to fit.  So there's a couple inches give i'd say in a few directions.

Now then, back to some questions.  I have no idea, when I get the sub, since i'm going single setup biggest sub I can fit, what ohm should I get the XCON?  I know nothing of wiring.

Also!  There may be a spot for the batteries.  Under that trunk there's a wheel well with a full size spare tire.  Surely I could fit batteries where a full size tire fits.

Also, i'm not sure how much an alternator runs, but i'm sure I could work it into my budget.  I just have to make sure that wouldn't void my warranty or anything.  I remember I went to one shop and he was trying to sell me a HO alternator pushing about 216 amps for about $1 an amp I think.  It was a year ago though so it's hazy, but i'm sure I could work it into my budget.  Just gotta make sure I won't' void anything.

Any help is appreciated here to decide which size sub best will fit my needs.  I'm really open to suggestions.  I trying to be as optimal as possible with what space I have.

Yea ohjay pretty much said everything you need to know to begin with. A good battery would be a diehard platinum g34. It's a group 34 and should be around $200. It's from serious. I run the bigger one with no complaints.

I sell pre done big 3 kits too, all you have to do is measure out the lengths of where they go (I can tell you where they go if needed).

Also don't let the shop design for you. Building is fine but most shops just try to get the quickest, easiest, highest paid way and they probably won't design the best box. I can design you a box with cutsheet and 3d sketch up. You can take it there and know for sure you're getting a well designed box.

Perhaps i'll get another battery while i'm at it and throw it in the spare tire well and throw out the tire.  I honestly hadn't considered an extra battery.  Sounds like a good idea though.

I'd really appreciate a designed box if you can take the time to do that for me.  That'd be amazing.  All I can think of of what i'd want from the box is for it to pound out lows and be loud so I can feel the bass (along with others around me :P).  So I know ported, and tuned around 32.  I honestly don't know how low you can go and be advised to tune that low, but I figure 32 is good.

Thanks for the welcome!

Let me look at your dimensions and I'll let you know what size sub I would think is best. I would go with a dual 2 ohm (d2) sub if you're doing a single sub setup.

I would say do the big 3 and add a group 34 or group 31 battery in the back and you should be fine on electrical. Also google your car's alternator size too see what it is. Most likely you'll be able to keep the stock alt.

I can design you a box but well see what you can fit first.

With 38.5w x 12.5h x 17d were looking at 3.25 cubes before port. After having enough port area for a 12" you will not have enough space. You can definitely fit a 10". If you can measure out some more and see if you can fit some more space then we can see if it'll be enough for a 12".

With 38.5w x 12.5h x 17d were looking at 3.25 cubes before port. After having enough port area for a 12" you will not have enough space. You can definitely fit a 10". If you can measure out some more and see if you can fit some more space then we can see if it'll be enough for a 12".

I'm getting 3.65 gross with those measurements. After port and woofer displacement that's plenty of room for a single 12, if you could stretch it just a little more there's probably room for a single 15. The XCON 15 will work in 3.0 cu.ft. ported.

With those dimensions if you used a 6" aeroport, 19" long, that would give you 3.11 cu.ft. net tuned to 32Hz. An XCON 15 will work in that.

I think I would rather do a 12 in between 2-3 cubes than a 15 in 3

w40 has some bninb stuff for sale right now.  id jump on it.  He sells more stuff here than the SSA stuff here more than likely.  I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him and I've sold a few things to him as well.  

I'm also partial to Incriminator.  I'd do one of their lower line subs, theri 500 watt amp, a nice customs box and wiring from Knu concepts, and maybe an addaptor if needed.  This should be well with i nyour budget and be plenty loud.  All this can be found in SAA's store

Since I own a focus I thought I would chime in here. I have a 12" Fi BL in the box under the manufactures cut sheet section. 2.5 cubes 32 hz. Running off of the saz 1500 v3. Stupid loud and stupid low. My car is not a hatchback like yours and I can still scare people during a demo. One "little" 12 can be more than enough. Stock alts on these cars will hang as long as you do the big 3 and 1 battery extra. Happy shopping and welcome to the club. ;)

As a side note, do you have plans for the front speakers, h/u? Because no matter what sub you get the front stage will not be able to keep up.

Thanks for the welcome! biggrin.png

I've been working and spending time with the lady, but I had some time.  I did the best I could to get dimensions, and I even snapped a couple pics.

Before we get started, let me show you guys what i'm working with here.

2mmzv9t.jpg2q1cdjd.jpg

So, from how I measured, I want to play it on the semi safe side to make sure it gets in, and to have a tiny bit of trunk space left over.  Really though I just don't want have a box that's too big to fit so I played it pretty safe on the numbers.  Here's what I got.

Entry size 35"

inside trunk:

17" deep

38.5" wide from wheel hub to wheel hub (i'd have to remove that stock pitiful sub)

12.5" height

Those are my numbers I got.  Again, they're a little safe, but I just wouldn't want a box too big to fit.  So there's a couple inches give i'd say in a few directions.

Now then, back to some questions.  I have no idea, when I get the sub, since i'm going single setup biggest sub I can fit, what ohm should I get the XCON?  I know nothing of wiring.

Also!  There may be a spot for the batteries.  Under that trunk there's a wheel well with a full size spare tire.  Surely I could fit batteries where a full size tire fits.

Also, i'm not sure how much an alternator runs, but i'm sure I could work it into my budget.  I

ave to make sure that wouldn't void my warranty or anything

just h.  I remember I went to one shop and he was trying to sell me a HO alternator pushing about 216 amps for about $1 an amp I think.  It was a year ago though so it's hazy, but i'm sure I could work it into my budget.  Just gotta make sure I won't' void anything.

Any help is appreciated here to decide which size sub best will fit my needs.  I'm really open to suggestions.  I trying to be as optimal as possible with what space I have.

>Yea ohjay pretty much said everything you need to know to begin with. A good battery would be a diehard platinum g34. It's a group 34 and should be around $200. It's from serious. I run the bigger one with no complaints.

Perhaps i'll get another battery while i'm at it and throw it in the spare tire well and throw out the tire.  I honestly hadn't considered an extra battery.  Sounds like a good idea though.

I'd really appreciate a designed box if you can take the time to do that for me.  That'd be amazing.  All I can think of of what i'd want from the box is for it to pound out lows and be loud so I can feel the bass (along with others around me tongue.png).  So I know ported, and tuned around 32.  I honestly don't know how low you can go and be advised to tune that low, but I figure 32 is good.

Thanks for the welcome!

Don't worry about voiding warrany.  It is federal law that the repair shop has to prove the aftermarket has caused damaged to the vehilv causing a voide i nwarranty

Thanks for the help, guys!  It's looking like I won't be able to go as big as i'd hope sub wise, but if a 12 is optimal, it's what must be done!  Heck, i'd even go with the 10 if it was the perfect setup and still loud.

Let me look at your dimensions and I'll let you know what size sub I would think is best. I would go with a dual 2 ohm (d2) sub if you're doing a single sub setup.

I would say do the big 3 and add a group 34 or group 31 battery in the back and you should be fine on electrical. Also google your car's alternator size too see what it is. Most likely you'll be able to keep the stock alt.

I can design you a box but well see what you can fit first.

Thank you, I wasn't sure about the ohm, major help.  I appreciate that!

I'm thinking as far as the alt goes, it sounds like I SHOULD be okay running this setup so long as I do big three.  I'm going to run it with the stock alt, and if I get any light dimming or anything, i'd looking into the H/O Alt.  I think that should be legit.  Also, I wanna look into those volt meters so I know what i'm feeding my sub.

What would happen say I go for a 12 in your scenario?  Would the 12 get out performed by a 10 in the same box?  I'm curious.

For the record everybody seems to have been okay the the sundown 1500.  I'm going to buy that tomorrow.  I'm still debating the sub size.

I'm getting 3.65 gross with those measurements. After port and woofer displacement that's plenty of room for a single 12, if you could stretch it just a little more there's probably room for a single 15. The XCON 15 will work in 3.0 cu.ft. ported.

With those dimensions if you used a 6" aeroport, 19" long, that would give you 3.11 cu.ft. net tuned to 32Hz. An XCON 15 will work in that.

Interesting.  That would be legit.  Those 2 inches though is the problem.  It'd maaaaybe fit.  That's pushing it.

I think I would rather do a 12 in between 2-3 cubes than a 15 in 3

Thank you for your input

w40 has some bninb stuff for sale right now.  id jump on it.  He sells more stuff here than the SSA stuff here more than likely.  I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him and I've sold a few things to him as well.  

I'm also partial to Incriminator.  I'd do one of their lower line subs, theri 500 watt amp, a nice customs box and wiring from Knu concepts, and maybe an addaptor if needed.  This should be well with i nyour budget and be plenty loud.  All this can be found in SAA's store

I'm kind of set on the xcon and the sundown 1500.  xp

Thanks, but I haven't heard much on those subs.  If anything I was almost going to get into a straight out SPL setup and go with a BTL (even though they're like discontinued or something now), but I want an XCON.  Just seems like it'd be perfect for my desires.

Since I own a focus I thought I would chime in here. I have a 12" Fi BL in the box under the manufactures cut sheet section. 2.5 cubes 32 hz. Running off of the saz 1500 v3. Stupid loud and stupid low. My car is not a hatchback like yours and I can still scare people during a demo. One "little" 12 can be more than enough. Stock alts on these cars will hang as long as you do the big 3 and 1 battery extra. Happy shopping and welcome to the club. wink.png

Fellow focus!  What's up.  Thanks for your input!  If the XCON is anything like the BL enclosure wise maybe i'd be able to fit a 12 in my car.  The bigger the better in my book. smile.png

I also have to look into a battery now.  Any advice on what to look for when searching for a battery?  I never got into batteries.

As a side note, do you have plans for the front speakers, h/u? Because no matter what sub you get the front stage will not be able to keep up.

Negative on the headunit, it already has a touch screen, but I plan on upgrading components one day.  My girlfriend may even hook me up.  My birthday is next saturday and she said she wants to help me upgrade my car.

It's a process though.  Right now i'm focused on the sub, then i'll be back asking for advice on components i'm sure in the other section. haha

Don't worry about voiding warrany.  It is federal law that the repair shop has to prove the aftermarket has caused damaged to the vehilv causing a voide i nwarranty

Thank you, sir.

So I guess what i'm down to now is, sub and battery.

I will buy the sundown 1500 tomorrow, the battery as soon as I figure out a good one (i'm looking at about a $300-$500max for the battery)

My budget was $500 each individually for everything pretty much, and this is coming together nicely.

Sub and amp are both under that, that leaves me $500 for the battery and $500 for the box/big three/installation/building it and all that.  $2000 seems good.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I pretty much only get time for one post after work everyday, but I can guarantee you guys, if you're interested, i'll post up some pics when it's all said and done.  I'll upload a video if you guys want too, but pics will not need be requested.

Got off work early today, just would like to update everyone.  Due to childish warranties, I will no longer be going for a H/O alternator.  I will, however, get another battery.

It just means I can't have a box filling up my trunk.  I'll need to leave room for the battery which, in turn, should leave ample room for the amp.

Anybody know a good optimal box size for a 10"?  It's seeming like a 12" is too big for my car.

If space becomes too much of a concern, you could go sealed. It would clear some room for you. Don't let anybody b/s you about sealed. Will you win a trophy for deebees, probably not. They do get loud as balls still. With a sealed setup you could probably fit the 15 you talked about earlier.

If space becomes too much of a concern, you could go sealed. It would clear some room for you. Don't let anybody b/s you about sealed. Will you win a trophy for deebees, probably not. They do get loud as balls still. With a sealed setup you could probably fit the 15 you talked about earlier.

Thanks, man.  I'd just like to update everyone that I went with the 10" after all.  D2.  I'd just like to thank everyone for their input.  I really appreciate it.  Now I just have to wait the few weeks for the build/shipping time.  So in that mean time I just need to get my box, a battery, big three upgrade and I think i'll be set. 

As promised, here's the sub installed.

I'm thinking I may have got it in too small of a box. haha

It hits, but it's not that feel it in your chest shake the whole car hit.  Plus I keep clipping out the amp when I get to a volume I like and have to turn down the bass knob, then back up on another song.

Box is tuned at 29hz, the little box to the left is housing my 31m DieHard Platinum battery.

I also installed a Rockford Fosgate 300rms amp for my components.

Sometimes having the sub a little closer to the trunk lid helps with the 'impact' :)

what are the specs on the enclosure? what size sub? what amp? bass boost off? how did you set the gains? 

Sometimes having the sub a little closer to the trunk lid helps with the 'impact' smile.png

Thanks for the tip.  Impact is good stuff. smile.png

what are the specs on the enclosure? what size sub? what amp? bass boost off? how did you set the gains? 

I took it to a shop and told the guy to build the box to 1.75 cubes.  I'm thinking I maybe should have told him as big a box as he could build.

The sub is a 10" running off a Sundown 1500 amp, not sure what you mean about bass boost because the only thing i'd consider boosting my bass would be setting my car bass EQ up a little higher.  If I turn the bass knob down with the clipping light on it there's literally no bass. haha

And I didn't set anything, I picked it up from the shop and they told me they set everything up for me and that it was good to go.

I could take some more pics later and post them up if it'd help.

Sometimes having the sub a little closer to the trunk lid helps with the 'impact' :)

Thanks for the tip.  Impact is good stuff. :)

I took it to a shop and told the guy to build the box to 1.75 cubes.  I'm thinking I maybe should have told him as big a box as he could build.

The sub is a 10" running off a Sundown 1500 amp, not sure what you mean about bass boost because the only thing i'd consider boosting my bass would be setting my car bass EQ up a little higher.  If I turn the bass knob down with the clipping light on it there's literally no bass. haha

And I didn't set anything, I picked it up from the shop and they told me they set everything up for me and that it was good to go.

yea take some pictures. And if you can take some measurements of the enclosure and port. Sometimes (most iv been to) shops don't really know to much lol

Sometimes having the sub a little closer to the trunk lid helps with the 'impact' smile.png

Thanks for the tip.  Impact is good stuff. smile.png

we would need to know dimensions of the box to say if there is a problem with it. 

all EQ or bass boost should be set to flat or zero. what you're calling the bass knob is a gain knob for the sundown amp. sounds like the amp isn't set up correctly. or the EQ your messing with is confusing you. 

Edited by lithium

Any chance you can turn the sub and port up? Give that a try, unless it wont fit that way.