TheGr33nNinja

First car, desiring first sub

No problem! Here is the specific wiring you need for your sub to lesson any confusion!

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Thanks again, THX! That will come in handy as soon as I have the courage to open up the sub. xD

Disconnect the speaker wires from the amp and see what ohm reading you get at those wires.

Edited by pmureika

No problem! Here is the specific wiring you need for your sub to lesson any confusion!http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Thanks again, THX! That will come in handy as soon as I have the courage to open up the sub. xD

Its not that hard. Just need to unscrew all the screws around the sub and take it out of the enclosure. And take some pictures of the sub and inside the enclosure if you can

Found a work around to multi quote

Almost all of these issues I've read is why I can't and won't support my local audio shops....seems like they must all be the same. Over charging man hours only to wire things completely wrong, build boxes cheaply, massively screw up H/U paramaters and Amp tuning...etc. I can't even stand to call them for advice knowing they are wrong most of the time...Too many times have I had to fix their mistakes from installs in friends vehicles, and a couple in my own, so I went ROUGE...LOL They don't like me now, they tell me my brand of OFC cables are inferior, Hifonics amps suck, and that they have never heard of Fi Audio, just to quote a few...LMAO

Yea that's how it is around here. I dont understand it. Why work at an audio shop if your not going to learn about audio lol. There mostly just cocky sales people
Exactly, frog. They're lucky I'm having a hard time with this or else I wouldn't need them. :P

Maybe I missed the info, but how is the audio reaching the amps? Head unit with RCA or line output converter? What head unit do you have?

I have a stock head unit. I drive a Ford Focus Titanium and the headunit is already touch screen so I didn't wanna mess with any of that. So I can't say specifically because they didn't talk to me about this, but whatever is stock, that's all I can say is how it's reaching the amp.

My stock headunit setup is very similar to this, so it was hard for me to want to mess with the housing and all that. Not sure what my options are. I just found this image on google images real quick.

The reason I was asking about the head unit was because some factory OEM headunits can attenuate the bass as volume increases. Im just curious how they took the signal from the head unit, Line Output Converter? If so which one? LOC's also have a gain setting, maybe its not correct?

Did your car have a factory amp already in place? Did they tap the signal from the factory amp or directly from the head unit?

Wow, crackin, good question! You know, it may be possible they tapped a factory amp, because this car did come with a stock rinky dink factory sub. Now THAT one you for sure couldn't tell it was there.

I think I have to go back to the shop now. I only hope they can remember what they did.

I'll ask what they wired the sub to while I'm there, and ask how they took the signal from the factory head unit to the amp. I believe that should clear some things up.

These guys aren't too fun to work with though, so this should be interesting. Haha

They originally tried to get me to upgrade my head unit. I just didn't want to because I didn't know my options.

This sub setup is more overwhelming than I originally anticipated! Haha

I wish I could answer everyone's questions, but these guys were like "here's your keys, we're done. Everything is as you asked" pretty much.

I tried asking questions and they were just like "yeah, we did that. It's all set"

Took two days for the install

No problem! Here is the specific wiring you need for your sub to lesson any confusion!http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Its not that hard. Just need to unscrew all the screws around the sub and take it out of the enclosure. And take some pictures of the sub and inside the enclosure if you can

Why does he need to take the sub out of the box?

No problem! Here is the specific wiring you need for your sub to lesson any confusion!

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Disconnect the speaker wires from the amp and see what ohm reading you get at those wires.
Pretty straight forward!

Thanks, pmureika!

I'll post results as soon as I buy the dmm.

Will do!

Sounds easy enough. I can do all this as soon as I get off work. Should hopefully be a ten hour day today (possibly 12) but if I have the strength when I'm out, I'll get all this done for you guys. I really wanna start with the process of elimination so we can find out if it's me...or the setup!

Expect a full on update of my attempts this night.

I only hope I have enough time. If not, this weekend works much better for me. I work more like 4 hours sat/sun lately, so I could get pics for you guys then, and most likely a video of the sub in action.

I had some downtime at work this whole time. I'm going to see if it's picked up. If it has, I'll reconvene with you guys when I'm free. Should be about 7 hours from now if it's time for me to put in work before clocking out.

Good question, if I go by your way with the dmm we would know wiring is an issue with me not taking out 6 screws or whatever it is. o.o

Pretty straight forward!

Thanks, pmureika!

I'll post results as soon as I buy the dmm.

Will do!

Sounds easy enough. I can do all this as soon as I get off work. Should hopefully be a ten hour day today (possibly 12) but if I have the strength when I'm out, I'll get all this done for you guys. I really wanna start with the process of elimination so we can find out if it's me...or the setup!

Expect a full on update of my attempts this night.

I only hope I have enough time. If not, this weekend works much better for me. I work more like 4 hours sat/sun lately, so I could get pics for you guys then, and most likely a video of the sub in action.

I had some downtime at work this whole time. I'm going to see if it's picked up. If it has, I'll reconvene with you guys when I'm free. Should be about 7 hours from now if it's time for me to put in work before clocking out.

Do you have D2 or a D1 sub?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Edited by pmureika

Something I have seen shops do, when someone brought them gear to install is set things wrong on purpose so you'll go back. It's a nasty sales tactic. You're unhappy so you go back and they pull the, "gee we don't have issues like that with the product we sell. What you brought us must be cheap, etc..."

And then sell people on their products and change the settings/wiring on the reinstall so that their gear functions properly.

Edited by nigel

what kind of setup do you have to have where you drive in front of a house and shake that houses windows?  That's something I've always been fascinated with.  That, and when you can hear someone's bass from a block away.

That kind of setup is a small penis.

Well if it reads 1 ohm outside of the box it could be a dual 2 ran to 1 or could be a dual 1 with only one coil hooked up or something like that. You never

know lol. And with the sub out we will be able to see port length and how well the enclosure was even built

Edited by frogcase2002

Well if it reads 1 ohm outside of the box it could be a dual 2 ran to 1 or could be a dual 1 with only one coil hooked up or something like that. You never

know lol. And with the sub out we will be able to see port length and how well the enclosure was even built

Or it might be the way the amp is tuned.

If I read that thread right. He said the box said dual 1 coils. Who ordered the sub?

what kind of setup do you have to have where you drive in front of a house and shake that houses windows? That's something I've always been fascinated with. That, and when you can hear someone's bass from a block away.

Music is for personal enjoyment, it's cool to be loud, but it's still important to be courteous of others :P

I will take the sub out today and take some pictures. Hopefully that will clear this up.

EDIT:

Guys, typing on my phone takes too long. I AM A go to my girlfriends and use her laptop so I can better respond.

On the up and up, I bought a DMM. Just gotta figure out how to use it. It was on sale for like $12 too. Beast.

Edited by TheGr33nNinja

I will take the sub out today and take some pictures. Hopefully that will clear this up.

EDIT:

Guys, typing on my phone takes too long. Ima go to my girlfriends and use her laptop so I can better respond.

On the up and up, I bought a DMM. Just gotta figure out how to use it. It was on sale for like $12 too. Beast.

Cool! Good deal. Hope you can get this figured out

Something I have seen shops do, when someone brought them gear to install is set things wrong on purpose so you'll go back. It's a nasty sales tactic. You're unhappy so you go back and they pull the, "gee we don't have issues like that with the product we sell. What you brought us must be cheap, etc..."

And then sell people on their products and change the settings/wiring on the reinstall so that their gear functions properly.

The only subs I'd get from these shops are W7s. I've heard good things about those subs.

what kind of setup do you have to have where you drive in front of a house and shake that houses windows?  That's something I've always been fascinated with.  That, and when you can hear someone's bass from a block away.

lol

Pictures will take longer, but I got you, frog!!

If I read that thread right. He said the box said dual 1 coils. Who ordered the sub?

I ordered the sub.  D2.  But it's possible there was an error.  Because when I got the box the D1 box was circled.

I'm thinking it may be the way the amp is tuned. That, or maybe I should of looked into the biggest amp I could possibly push on a stock alt.

Disturbing the peace is all the rage these days, bro. :P

Cool! Good deal. Hope you can get this figured out

Me too, bro.  Thanks a lot, frog.  You've been a big help.

I've found that some songs can hit decently, but it still leaves something to be desired.

My girlfriend says that she's not trying to criticize my sub, she says she loves my little sub. Just ever since I turned down the bass boost it's been an underwhelming sub.

Have you checked the ohm load of the subwoofer wire at the amp yet?

I have seen shops carpet prefab enclosures real nice. Its crazy. Hope that didn't happen.

I'm thinking its more the signal to the amp. Need to figure out where its coming from

Seems like im kinda late to the party but my advice would be since youve already invested a good amount of money into the system get a DD1 to set your gains properly and ether build a good box or find someone to build one for you and ditch that prefab box. Another thing is when i first installed a system into my current car i used the stock HU and a RCA converter. After about 2 months or so i decided to get a Pioneer HU so i could run a USB drive. It made my sub WAY more clear and loud. Just a little food for thought.

Seems like im kinda late to the party but my advice would be since youve already invested a good amount of money into the system get a DD1 to set your gains properly and ether build a good box or find someone to build one for you and ditch that prefab box. Another thing is when i first installed a system into my current car i used the stock HU and a RCA converter. After about 2 months or so i decided to get a Pioneer HU so i could run a USB drive. It made my sub WAY more clear and loud. Just a little food for thought.

Your first bit of advice is awful. The DD1 isn't even a good paperweight and is absolutely useless for setting gains.

LOC's regularly roll off frequency wise so it is possible you had one that had far from stellar performance. And yes a real box is paramount, more important than the driver.

Hello guys, I've been really busy with work and hanging out with my girl, but today is my Friday. I will make a full on post responding to everyone after work. I currently am sneaking this post in at work. :P

So my girl and I edited up this video footage yesterday, and I took the footage a day before that.

It was shot at night, but I used my phone as a light to light up the sub. I hope it's decent quality.

It starts off inside my car pretty much blasting (not sure the audio will do it justice) I have the volume set to approx. 73% volume. Higher than average listening volume. I showcase how like NOTHING is moving in the car. Review mirror, center console, side mirrors, NOTHING!

Then I switch to outside the car so you can see how you can barely hear it outside the vehicle. Then I cut to with the hatchback open and showcasing the actual sub moving. Check it out, guys. It's not outstanding quality or anything, but I hope it helps a little bit.

I don't mean to post so sparingly, but I'm free the next couple days, so I will take care of business then.

Frog, thats when I'll try and check out that dmm. It's over my head right now, so it's why I've been putting it off. xD

And guys. I kinda made a decision. If this sub turns out to be a D1, I can buy another D1 so I can wire two subs at 1ohm. Hopefully my amp would support that. I believe that'd be louder. I would be moving more air theoretically, just less watts per sub.

Have you tryed not having the bass knob plunged in?

Nice car! Your sub for sure is not moving to it's potential, However it sounds good, so we know the sub is not the problem.  First thing to do your self is unscrew the sub from the box and verify what ohms your voice coils are, take out your DMM look at it's book and it will tell you where to set the knob for reading ohms, simply touch both positive and negative terminals with the prongs/or clips from DMM on one lead at a time     ( where the wires clamp into each side of the woofer ) and write the reading down to post here.  Then on your Head Unit make sure that ALL sub settings are set to ZERO with no bass boost (make sure your sub level is not like negative 16 or something crazy in your settings), ALSO if your H/U has a setting for the size of woofer it is working with, make sure it is set at "10" Next I would take the car into the shop with the install reciept and make sure they did not use the pre existing amp that is in your car but instead to run directly from your H/U to your new amp...I am positive these things will help you...If in fact a mistake was made and you got a dual 1 ohm sub, you could wire it to 2ohms (dont think your amp will handle a .5ohm load) untill you get another dual 1ohm sub so you can run at 1ohm.  Don't let this overwhelm you!  ...One simple step at a time :)

That is true...I think in all this advice we have forgetten to mention that the amp's Level/Gain knob needs to match your H/U's output voltage!!!