Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Box Build for 2 SSA Evil 18's on 2 NS-1's!

Got the call from someone local to build a box for his setup. He has 2 SSA Evil 18's on 2 NS-1's at 0.5 ohms a piece, with 4 XS D3100's and a Mechman 270. His current box was initially built for 4 18's (something like 18 cubes net) and stuck WAY above the window line. He wanted a box for just the 2 that he has, a lot smaller box, and something with a little "flair". Well, here it is...

Specs:
13.2 cubes net
12" Octaport
32.3 hz
Double layered all around (except sides)
Window style bracing
Bolt terminals
Bedlined outside with a fire-engine red port

Be sure to watch the video at the end!

2014-01-07155011_zps2f607793.jpg
2014-01-07192804_zps757b7953.jpg
2014-01-07205824_zpse98d4939.jpg
2014-01-07224844_zps0737764e.jpg
2014-01-07225014_zps91dcc14a.jpg
2014-01-08095610_zpsd0f510ff.jpg
2014-01-08125414_zps5d924d0d.jpg
DSCN6947_zpsafee1c5a.jpg
DSCN6948_zps76220bbd.jpg

In the video the amps were clipping and with the electrical still has some work to be done, but the subs were only moving 1/2-3/4", and theres still THAT much flex. Will be properly setting the gains on Saturday, along with putting it on the meter. Was definitely not built for peak spl, so I'll be getting numbers from 25-50 hz.

Box looks really good! But you should tell him his electrical is not even close to being optimal. He needs to quadruple his battery bank and add another alt.

Very cool!  Love the enclosure.

Id say subs were getting no more than 6-7k. With the amps not being set right (I think he said gains all the way up), I'm nor surprised they were getting warm without seeing much power. He's adding another Mechman 270 and 2 more D3100's soon. And thank you. This box sound amazing.

Wow crazy craftsmanship!

Id say subs were getting no more than 6-7k. With the amps not being set right (I think he said gains all the way up), I'm nor surprised they were getting warm without seeing much power. He's adding another Mechman 270 and 2 more D3100's soon. And thank you. This box sound amazing.

Tell him to back the gains down a little.  ;)

God I bet that is loud...

Tell him to back the gains down a little.  wink.png

we're having a little meet and greet on Saturday with a bunch of audio guys around Oklahoma, and we'll be setting his gains properly with an o-scope. Also, he has each sub wired to it's own amp, so to simplify the system, we'll be strapping his amps so he just has one gain knob to worry about, and the signals will be perfectly even.

Guessing that the subs were only seeing half of the power he has available, he's in the low-mid 50's. It's a low end monster. He honestly doesn't care about numbers, the only thing he likes is Decaf. And by god, this thing can play it. haha.

Don't use the o-scope to set the gains. Use you're ears and turn the gain up till you hear stress/distortion and then back down the gain a little bit.

Nice enclosure!!

Tell him to back the gains down a little.  wink.png

we're having a little meet and greet on Saturday with a bunch of audio guys around Oklahoma, and we'll be setting his gains properly with an o-scope. Also, he has each sub wired to it's own amp, so to simplify the system, we'll be strapping his amps so he just has one gain knob to worry about, and the signals will be perfectly even.

Great to hear.  Tell him to shoot us an email when he is ready to work on the batteries and alt's. ;)

Guessing that the subs were only seeing half of the power he has available, he's in the low-mid 50's. It's a low end monster. He honestly doesn't care about numbers, the only thing he likes is Decaf. And by god, this thing can play it. haha.

Maybe we need to send some SSA guys near you, your way for enclosures if they want something custom like this. :)

Looks badass! All around, nice set up.

Maybe we need to send some SSA guys near you, your way for enclosures if they want something custom like this. smile.png

Sounds good to me! They can look up my business McGovney Designs on facebook. I'm located around central Oklahoma.

That box looks awesome! Nice work. :)

Maybe we need to send some SSA guys near you, your way for enclosures if they want something custom like this. smile.png

Sounds good to me! They can look up my business McGovney Designs on facebook. I'm located around central Oklahoma.

:)

Thank you. Tomorrow will be test and tune day. Trying to reposition the box to squeeze out numbers is going to be a PAIN. The box/sub combo weighs about 400-450 lbs. And that combo on carpet does not slide very well. Haha

Also, i forgot to mentio he's layered the ENTIRE vehicle with SecondSkin Damplifier Pro... :) Thats why only solid structures like the doors and whole back hatch are flexing.

Had a meet up today. What was going to be 3-4 people turned into 15
vehicles meeting up and showing off their systems. Got the amps strapped
and tuned properly. Managed to pull off a 154 in the kick at 38 hz and a
150 at 30 hz. A few things to point out:

1.) ZERO sound deadener on the roof. Theres deadener everywhere else, but the roof.
2.) Yes, the truck peaks at 38. Does a 150 at 30 hz also. It's a low end monster.
3.) Voltage is dropping down to 10.3-10.5 (SMD VM-1 is NOT ACCURATE from the cigarette lighter)

Didn't
manage to get any videos this time, but I will next time I see him.
He's calling Mechman soon to order a second alt (probably a 380 or
bigger to go along with his 270), and a couple of more XS batteries.
Customer is ecstatic about everything, and absolutely loves how it
sounds. The entire truck just shakes on the low notes.