I have 2 alpine type r 12 DVC 4ohm subs In ported black box tornado series. My Kenwood head unit has a 2.5 volt Preout. I have had my gain on my alpine mrx m240 half way up with no bass boost and crossover set at 85 on the amp wired at 4 ohm putting out 1500 watt into 2 alpine type r. I got the smd distortion detector a few days ago to see if I was clipping . I live in the middle of no where and the local audio shop has no clue what they are doing so I installed everything and set gains myself. I used the smd dd1 and it at my max volume on the headunit which is 35 it shows my amp starts clipping at slightly above 1/4 on the gain . I rarely get my volume past 26 on the headunit so I checked! Where the gain would clip using volume 28 on my hu and it shows the amp not clipping at all even with the gain. All the Way up which makes no sense to me. I left my gain halfway and rarely get past volume 26 on my hu . I am pleased with how the subs hit but Still wondering if I am clipping any thoughts? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated fairly new to the car audio scene and IM losing sleep over this

Your ears can detect distortion.

I have no idea what you just said... 

IT looks like you said if you turn it up to 35 that 1\4 gain on amp it clips.. 

But if you lower the volume, it doesn't clip..

IF that's what you are saying.. then.. that's common sense but i am hoping you didn't mean that because i can't follow what you are saying.

What IM saying is my max hu volume I use is around 26 or 28 and the smd shows know clipping at this volume even with the amp gain all the Way up but if I set the gain with the smd using max Vol 35 it clips with the amp gain. A quarter of the way up. It doesn't make sense how it would clip at 35 with gain low as opposed to not clipping at using volume 26 even if I set the gain to max. It just confuses me

Please use the search, as I know there are multiple topics on the DD1 and why it is not a popular item here.

I did throw in that this audio stuff is new to me, I've always loved music and now that I got my amp and subs I found.d out there is alot more to just having subs that there is alot of technical details to this stuff, I take my music very seriously and I blew some fosgates In a month due to lack of knowledge of what I was doing so my new setup I want perfect .

I did throw in that this audio stuff is new to me, I've always loved music and now that I got my amp and subs I found.d out there is alot more to just having subs that there is alot of technical details to this stuff, I take my music very seriously and I blew some fosgates In a month due to lack of knowledge of what I was doing so my new setup I want perfect .

Welcome to the site, this is without question, one of the most helpful and informative english speaking car audio sites, period.

On one of the most recent threads here the man how designed the unit stated that is is only capable of measuring a couple frequencies. It is not a wide spectrum analyzer.

For example it may detect destitution at 500 and 1,000 hertz but nothing below, between, or above.

On one of the most recent threads here the man how designed the unit stated that is is only capable of measuring a couple frequencies. It is not a wide spectrum analyzer.

For example it may detect destitution at 500 and 1,000 hertz but nothing below, between, or above.

I messed up the quote my fault I did my research on this forum found exactly what I waz looking for . Forgive me for my noob ways lol gotta start somewhere though