Sign in to follow this  
1samples

Question incriminator 20.1

I got a new incriminator 20.1 a month ago and just got a used one two days ago they look the same but the link cables are differnt on the new one it looks line a phone jack and the used one is RCA my question is how would I go about linking the two together

Sounds like you shouldnt so dont.

There are more cons to pros for strapping and until some company starts utilizing protection features specifically for strapped applications, it's never necessary to strap amps.

Just don't strap them. Run them independently and gain match them with a DMM

There are no advantages to strapping at... Unless your system impedance is so high that you simply can't get power out of the amplifiers...  But that is rarely the case, rarely...

I doubt it but email Nick@incriminatoraudio.com for the best answer since he knows those amps.

I have two dual 4 ohm subs so unless I can get these amps strapped together I can pretty much get more power out of one then running them both independently

Edited by 1samples

You will get more power running one on each amp (2 ohm load per amp) then all 4 on one amp (1 ohm load)...

In your case, if those amps are 1/2 ohm stable, you would need to strap to possibly get the most out of the amplifiers...

BUT, when strapping, you do so at poorer efficiency, higher distortion and less dampening...  It isn't really worth it...  If you had 8 ohm subwoofers, then I would consider it...

I'm running a 14 volt system with three xs battery's my alternators are turned up to charge at 15.5 so electrical is not a problem.. I clamped my new 20.1 by itself and it puts over 2500+watts so if I run these amp independently at two ohms on each subs I will only get about 1000w on each sub

Edited by 1samples

2 amps at 2 ohms will put out more than 1 amp at 1 ohm...  Always. 

They don't produce more voltage as the impedance drops, they always put out less.  The rest is ohms law...

I'm running a 14 volt system with three xs battery's my alternators are turned up to charge at 15.5 so electrical is not a problem.. I clamped my new 20.1 by itself and it puts over 2500+watts so if I run these amp independently at two ohms on each subs I will only get about 1000w on each sub

2 independent amps put out slightly more power than 2 strapped given same impedance.

2 dual 4 ohm subs. You can only wire to- 1 ohm or 4ohm logically.

If wired at 1ohm, that would be either 2 ohm per amp or 0.5ohm per amp strapped.

If wired for 4ohm strapped, that's 2 ohm per amp strapped or independent.

If you are trying to wire each amp at 0.5ohm, get different subs if you can't ever strap them.

There are many ways to explain it, the most simple way is that audio amplifiers have set (user set for most car and pro audio) voltage gain.  This means that the amplifier will put out a fixed voltage for a varying impedance load.   The only problem is that the power supply has to work harder as you ask it to provided more current, and this usually ends up with a slight to large drop in voltage.  This why the power never ever really doubles as you halve impedance, it may come really close, but won't most of the time...

If anything, no amplifier will ever produce more than twice the power at half the impedance.   That simply can't happen in the operational bandwidth (audio range) the amplifier is intended to operate in... Some amps may limit output power (some JLs) and they may make you think that the amplifier is putting out the same power at all impedances, but in reality, they are just limiting the higher impedance output...

There are many ways to explain it, the most simple way is that audio amplifiers have set (user set for most car and pro audio) voltage gain.  This means that the amplifier will put out a fixed voltage for a varying impedance load.   The only problem is that the power supply has to work harder as you ask it to provided more current, and this usually ends up with a slight to large drop in voltage.  This why the power never ever really doubles as you halve impedance, it may come really close, but won't most of the time...

If anything, no amplifier will ever produce more than twice the power at half the impedance.   That simply can't happen in the operational bandwidth (audio range) the amplifier is intended to operate in... Some amps may limit output power (some JLs) and they may make you think that the amplifier is putting out the same power at all impedances, but in reality, they are just limiting the higher impedance output...

You mean lower, correct?

I see what your saying. But I did clamp this amp at 15.5 volts at 1ohm and it put out 2500+ Watts I haven't tried it at 2 ohms with 15.5 volts but I did at 14. And it didn't get over 1150watts.. But all I'm trying to do is figure out how to link these two together

I see what your saying. But I did clamp this amp at 15.5 volts at 1ohm and it put out 2500+ Watts I haven't tried it at 2 ohms with 15.5 volts but I did at 14. And it didn't get over 1150watts.. But all I'm trying to do is figure out how to link these two together

You can't. They are different. I've been an IA dealer for 6 years.

They are probably limiting lower impedance output by varying rail voltage...  This is purely speculation on my part.

They are limiting something, though...  Yeah Shizzon, I may have wrote that wrong, good catch...