jcottier55

swapping out stock interior speakers.

I'm wanting to know what would be the best interior speakers to swap out with my current stock ones. I have 3 different sets in my Lesabre. Dash is 4x6. Front door speaker size is 5 1/4 and the rear deck has 6x9s in it. What would anyone recommend me running? This way I don't have to do any cutting anywhere just yet. And also what kind of amp would be recommended to run these speakers off of? Appreciate everyones input and comments.

Check out the SSA store. Plenty of good speakers and amps to pick from in there!

Will do bro thanks. Just trying not to do a whole lot of cutting until I have the money for it lol

You should be able to find a set that fits your ride with no cutting. Sometimes the mounting ring in the car is plastic and ppl will set that aside so they can return to normal if needed. Then make a wooden baffle to install the aftermarket speakers. As install is 90% of making ANY speaker sound good. 

I would suggest skipping the 4x6 and just focus on the other speakers.

In a vehicle with that kind of factory speaker setup and your first set of new speakers I would suggest going with a single set of components and a two channel amplifier to start off with.  You can install the woofer/mid of the component set in the factory location of the door and put the tweeter up in the dash where the factory tweeter/4x6 is.

The Incriminator Audio 6.5" components seem to be a well regarded set by the folks who've used them.  Now the IA set may be 6.5" but it's not hard to remove the factory plastic baffle the speaker mounts to and make some custom ones for the new speaker to fit the 6.5" size.  Not only is it not that difficult but the work involved is well worth the effort because it is MUCH better for the speaker to be mounted to a solid surface than a flimsy plastic one.  A flimsy baffle can cause unwanted resonances and rattles coloring the sound and a loss of output due to the loss of acoustic energy.  With a solid baffle the speaker will have better bass response and cleaner midrange along with increased output.

Most GM vehicles with speakers in the doors usually have a plate with a tweeter mounted in it up in the 4x6 locations in the dash board.  If that is the case just remove the factory tweeters from those plates and install the aftermarket ones.  If that's not the case it's not too horribly difficult to build and mount them in plates yourself.

You'll have to run your own wires from the amp to the crossover for the component set, then a separate wire for the tweeter and the mid to each of their respective locations.  Mounting the crossovers just under the dash or behind the kick panels will make it a little easier to get the speaker wires to those locations.  There's a hundred different ways it can be done though and whichever you're most comfortable with is the way to go.

Don't worry about replacing your 6x9's.  Having speakers play music from behind you ruins the sound stage and confuses what you're ears are hearing.  Generally recordings are made and designed so that it sounds like the listener is sitting in a seat in a room with the band playing in front of them.  If that recording is of remotely decent quality settle nuances that give away instrument placement, singer location, etc. are all reproducible through the speaker system.  All that recorded information gets messed up and muddied when the same frequencies are playing from different sources in different locations. 

You could do like most other people do and just buy whatever coaxial speaker you find cheapest that fits each of the factory locations and replace them all but if that was really the best way to go I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble to explain everything above.  

If I went with 6.5 I would go ahead and just do a full mid and high upgrade with sundown. For the quality and price it doesn't seem to be able to get beat

Also those 6x9's will take a beating. If there are subs in the trunk

Yeah I also thought of that and that's exactly where they are is mounted under the rear deck through the inside of the trunk. Could always just put something in rear door panels then. What would be a good mids and high build? Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg really but want a decent quality.

Yeah I also thought of that and that's exactly where they are is mounted under the rear deck through the inside of the trunk. Could always just put something in rear door panels then. What would be a good mids and high build? Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg really but want a decent quality.

skip the rear deck and rear door speakers all together. just get 1 set of components for the front. amp them and look into sound deadening. 

1 set of decent speakers will always sound better than several sets of shitty speakers. 

Sound deadener showdown for deadener products. Don will tell you what you need and only sell you what you need. Very intelligent guy.

Build is being switched to 99 ford explorer

Crescendo Mezzos !!

why?

Crescendo Mezzos !!

why?

I personally own them and love them. Although there's so many choices to choose from.