Sign in to follow this  
01alero

obsidian audio?

I haven't heard very much about hear much about these subs except that they are under rated at 600w RMS, my friends 2009 ssa icon just popped, (intentionally) but were now looking for something new and i was wondering if you could run the obsidian at over 600w RMS daily. coming from 1250 with the ssa to 600 is kind of a change so just wondering.

Run a pair. I suppose you COULD feed it 1250w rms....but why? It's not meant for that, so don't be surprised if it fails.

Perhaps go smaller. If he had a 15, run two 12s, or if he had a 12, run two 10s.

Obsidian audio subs are rated at and warranted for 600 rms. This coming from someone that has smoked 3 18's in a 35 second demo.

I haven't heard very much about hear much about these subs except that they are under rated at 600w RMS, my friends 2009 ssa icon just popped, (intentionally) but were now looking for something new and i was wondering if you could run the obsidian at over 600w RMS daily. coming from 1250 with the ssa to 600 is kind of a change so just wondering.

All things equal that difference in power is only 3db under ideal conditions, probably much less than 3db after you factor in power compression. Realistically it's not a that large of an audible difference.

Simple solution is to model both drivers with their intended power and enclosures and look at the differences in SPL and response. It won't be perfect but it will give you a general idea of the output differences and bandwidth those differences occur over.

Any amount over "rated power" you supply to the sub won't be enough to make a significant enough audible difference to make it worth risking damaging the driver (especially since you will have voided your warranty). Over powering a sub for daily listening just isn't worth it.

they are really good subs specially for "600rms"!!!

I fear if you run more than 1000 watts each, they might fail. This depending on your listening habits and the material you're playing. Either way, if you do decide to run more than rated, I highly suggest you learn to listen to the signs of failure. Also, the icon is a far superior product. No comparison.

I suggest reconing the Icon, too nice of a sub not to. :)

Why did you intentionally pop the icon?

Si has 15's on sale if you're more in the sq department but I could see you blowing that sub easy in a car audio environment NOT nearly as rugged as other drivers. 

Good post man I am also looking into getting two 18s myself I had 2 12s in a prefab 15s box with 12 cutout over the 15s cut out on an audiopipe 1800.1d and they were louder than when I had 2 15in CVR and 2 12in cvrs at the same time. So I was pushing 900 rms to each sub wired at 1ohm they knock for the price for sure but the only down side with them is the 2.5 inch voice coil so they can't handle as much as you think thermally. I think if they upgraded the voice coil to a 3 or 4in they would be a hell of a lot better. But for the price you really can't beat them. I'm still debating on which 18s I would like to run in my 99 Explorer myself. Hopefully everyone can help us both out in the category

Prefab boxes usually dont much oem specs very well!

Prefab boxes usually dont much oem specs very well!

Speak for yourself! I have a single 15" Obsidian "knockin" at like 145db at the head from a prefab son! adhd.gif

Edited by nadcicle