codester

Thinking of going active, suggestions?

Hi all,

So a month or so ago I was driving around listening to my system and had a young kid in my backseat and he kicked my amp rcas breaking them half off in the amp. Long story short my mids on my Hertz HSK components blew when I turned it up not realizing this and now sound like crap. I currently don't have the budget to go out and spend $500 on a new set. Problem is I loved these speakers and really don't want to downgrade much if possible so my only real option I see is going active.

My System currently:

In a 2003 Dodge Dakota Crew cab.

Kenwood bt948HD link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a1evnpn0JP0/p_113BT948HD/Kenwood-KDC-BT948HD.html

6.5" Hertz HSK components

2xSSA ICON 15" subs tuned to 32 hz in 7.5 cubic foot box approx 

Crescendo BC2000D

Eclipse 50x4 amp.

My Question is what are my options for going active?

I have 3 amps I could use,

old eclipse 50x4 at 4 ohms

MB Quart FX240 (80x2@4 ohms)

Kenwood KAC746 Link http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B64-1176-00.pdf

I'd really like to use one of the amps I have if possible, Would any of these amps do the trick combined with my deck?

I've looked at Madisound and Partsexpress for speakers and will get some opinions on them later.

Budgets around $300ish total

Thanks for the help and hopefully I can get some guidance from M5 and any other knowledgeable members on active systems

Is it possible to get replacement mids for your Hertz? Possibly not a bad idea as you wouldn't need to change anything else going that route.

On an airplane about to take off. Summarizing the crossovers on your deck would help but I'd guess you will need to use part of your 3 bills on processing.

Going to need mounting locations and likes/dislikes of the hertz set

I would rather not replace just the mids as my one tweeter has a slight buzz that makes me wonder if it is going as well.

I really liked the Hertz speakers,

They could mostly keep up to my subs on loud bass/rap and were not harsh but still very detailed. I have heard some Hertz MLKs that were ran active and found they were amazing as far as detail and loudness but the tweeters were quite harsh (could have probably toned them down with adjustments)

My sound preference on speakers is it has to be able to get loud and keep its clarity. Many cheaper sets sound muddy when turned up much, I also dislike harsh tweeters and prefer a bit more mellow and silky sounding tweeter as long as it is still detailed. My friend has some Focals mid level components in his truck, they are either the low level polyglass or the top model of the lower series. I am not too fond of them, they are very detailed and loud highs but can get harsh and bright, I prefer the bit more mellow highs of my Hertz tweeters.

as far as for mids, Id like a decent amount of midbass but would rather have a set that blends nicely with the tweeters than just boomy down low and loses its clarity on the higher end.

As for mounting I currently have my mids in factory door location which is low right in the front of the door. Then my tweeter are mounted right on the top of my door panel beside my a-pillars.

Im am open to fiber glassing for the tweeter, currently my tweeters are just barely off axis.

I would rather not cut into my door panels if possible which makes a 3 way setup not very easy to do unless I put the mid up high?

My deck has a 3 band parametric equalizer and basic front, rear, subwoofer crossover. I have 2 4 channel amps and a 2 channel amps I could use (listed on last post)

Ive seen the mini dsp recommended a lot and could try one of them for proccessing.

My deck is also starting to get old and I dont think it has all the functions I will want for active so I may be open to picking up an 80prs if I can find a good deal and skip the dsp?

Im not too concerned on speaker choices yet as Im just planning and making sure I get the needed processing set up for active first. And will have a look and ask some opinions on set ups once I get there

Check out the diyma.com classified section , always a bunch of great deals...hertz comes up a lot.

Other option for DSP - RF360.3 , Precision Deq.8

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately i'm in Canada so shipping usually isn't worth buying stuff used unless its a steal.

Would an IA 6.4 amp be able to run a simple 2 way system as it has the x1 or x10 crossovers then combined with my decks crossover for fine tuning?

It SUCKS using amp crossovers. Almost not worth it.

Based on the parameters you defined, I'd keep it simple. ie, paper mid, tweeter that plays off axis well (ie won't play low so the mid needs to play high) and replace what you have.

80prs will trump the miniDSP for you IMO. Adjustments at the deck is HUGE when you are first starting out (read first years...). Without something like the minidsp (which may require line drivers) or an 80prs I wouldn't attempt active.

Can you fit a large format tweet in that location or only a small?

It SUCKS using amp crossovers. Almost not worth it.

Based on the parameters you defined, I'd keep it simple. ie, paper mid, tweeter that plays off axis well (ie won't play low so the mid needs to play high) and replace what you have.

80prs will trump the miniDSP for you IMO. Adjustments at the deck is HUGE when you are first starting out (read first years...). Without something like the minidsp (which may require line drivers) or an 80prs I wouldn't attempt active.

Can you fit a large format tweet in that location or only a small?

So I'd be best upgrading to a 80PRS and using one of my 4 channel amps (50x4) and keeping a simple system as stated with a paper mid, would I be better off with a good off axis mid or would it be worth the work to change the location of the tweeter to on axis? Would that open up my options for drivers?

Im limited to maybe 2 inches diameter and 2 inch depth if I use my current location, once again if it would make a difference in sound if I fiberglassed  my a pillars and mounted a large format tweeter on or off axis and then im not limited for size.

Large format tweeters have a larger flange than 2", but it's flat. Will that fit?

If not, a budget, easy to tune setup that would work in your locations would be the LPG 25 & Seas ER18

That diameters should work as long as its under 4 inches otherwise it would stick out and if mounting depth isn't too deep,

do you have any models of large format tweeters I should look into for specs? depth etc

Also is there any other good sites than parts express and Madisound for raw drivers with the models you've listed?

Madisound only has the LPG26NA or the SEAS Presige 27TFFNC/G and only has the ER18RNX which is 8 ohm.

I will be doing lots of deadening but dont have the time to build door enclosures for the mid.

THanks for the help

8ohm mids work better 99.9999% of the time.

Meant 25nfa, been a while since I sold mine. They work way better off axis than the Seas, but the Seas plays lower. Considering your mounting locations I'd focus more on FR than staging. Everythings a compromise.

The 3/4" Ring radiator is great off axis as well. Tons of options in large format though. Advantage of going that route is you can regularly get nearly as good off axis, but lower extension. I am a big fan of the HDS tweet, not as good off but hey again you don't have ideal locations so what do you do. smile.png

Looks like the LPG 25NFA is no longer sold by madisound and the 26 is a aluminum which Ive heard can get quite harsh?

Would these be a good option for a ring radiator tweeter? Its overall diameter is 3.7" so It should just fit.

Vifa XT19TD00-04 3/4" Dual Radiator Tweeter

Also If I go 8 ohm Id need to probably upgrade my amp as well as both my 4 channels only put out 50@4 ohms,

Looks like the LPG 25NFA is no longer sold by madisound and the 26 is a aluminum which Ive heard can get quite harsh?

Would these be a good option for a ring radiator tweeter? Its overall diameter is 3.7" so It should just fit.

Also If I go 8 ohm Id need to probably upgrade my amp as well as both my 4 channels only put out 50@4 ohms,

I would install the speakers and give them a listen first before buying another amp, you might already be content.

Sorry, I was going from memory. The 26 is what you want, the textile version was lackluster in comparison.

Aluminum does not get harsh naturally, it takes a poor designer and a bad installer to do that. These are NOT harsh at all.

Upgrading the amp is always a good idea, but just ignore 4ohm drivers. Generally speaking they are not the right idea and actually have way more cons than pros. The other compromises you'd acquire looking for a 4 won't net you anything positive. You may be very surprised at their output on your now 25w amp.

The XT19 is great off axis. Do beware trying to play it low though. I sold my set a while back, but think somewhere in the 3k range they started to not like things. The LPG can play down to about 4k. *in somewhat normal installations.

Sorry, I was going from memory. The 26 is what you want, the textile version was lackluster in comparison.

Aluminum does not get harsh naturally, it takes a poor designer and a bad installer to do that. These are NOT harsh at all.

Upgrading the amp is always a good idea, but just ignore 4ohm drivers. Generally speaking they are not the right idea and actually have way more cons than pros. The other compromises you'd acquire looking for a 4 won't net you anything positive. You may be very surprised at their output on your now 25w amp.

The XT19 is great off axis. Do beware trying to play it low though. I sold my set a while back, but think somewhere in the 3k range they started to not like things. The LPG can play down to about 4k. *in somewhat normal installations.

Ok so I'd be ok with either of those options for tweeters, if I go with the LPGs Id want a mid that could play up to 4k or so vs with the XT19 I could get a mid that could play up to 3500ish?

I know this is a stupid question but am I only looking at midbass speakers? woofers in car applications would require an in door enclosure correct?

A few Im looking at Scanspeak 18W/8434G-00 Discovery 7" Midwoofer or

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-classic-p17wj00-6.5-woofer/ or

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-fullrange/fostex-ff165wk-6.5-full-range/

Would any of these be a good combo with either the LPG or XT19?

Thanks for your help and advice

Once you listen to a Rev you won't like the classic Scan anymore and the Rev doesn't work well in a car door. The Fostex also is a unique driver that has no place I can think of in car audio at all. The ER I recommended before will smash both of those in all aspects IB in your door.

Ok I'll look into the er18 and see how the tweeter would work in the mounting location. Which of them would be there best match with the er18 between the xt19 and LPG?

Either will be more than fine.

As for what I'd pick, that depends on the mounting and pictures would really help.