jonbearsmt

first etho recones

first etho recones   

25 members have voted

1. 1. what coil is OLD... used up .. abused, clipped over powered

• bottom

so the abuse that i put the ethos is well stated in my topic... i over powered them.. clipped them, unloaded them..  got them stinky over and over and over again..........

so  one is new and one is old......

can you tell what is what?

i post this proving a point of how well made the coils are on these  subs

20140117_205958_zpsdc92b0af.jpg

fc0a3f2a-7a2e-4101-bc69-e6298c4a7129_zps

Edited by bigjon

Top is old? :peepwall:

Edited by ssh

I'm gonna guess top?

please vote

can we all agree that  its impressive that the old coil looks as good as it does after all the abuse?

Has to be the bottom as it has former damage.

This, but the coils still do look good.

that didnt take long...

whats that ?

that didnt take long...

whats that ?

Coil looks good to me.

what didnt take long ?

Yea I'm surprised how "new" it looks! Definitely high quality material since we all know how you abused the hell out of them and they still kept kicking!

Has to be the bottom as it has former damage.

agreed

what didnt take long ?

My guess is he was implying that it wasn't long before you reconed them. Reason for reconed wasn't something I read right off the bat.

I thought he was talking about it didn't take long to figure out which was the old coil, and which was the new one.

so what DID fail on your sub(s) that require a recone?

so what DID fail on your sub(s) that require a recone?

while changing my configuration from 1 ohm to .25 ohms, i foolishly failed to wire 1 coil on each sub.....

so i sent around 7K to 2 coils... 1 on each sub.. so 3.5K to each coil.... or there abouts.....

and it took it in burps...  but when i played music  with that much power the leads failed after a bit ....

100% my fault

once i get 20 votes ill reveal  what cone is new and what cone is old

20140114_184721_zpsd1ac306c.jpg

so then i switched the wiring to the other coils and played for a few days at lower power untill the other leads went aswell..

Have you metered the coil itself?  Is it still measuring properly?

If so, very interesting how only the leads failed.  

That would be simulating running an ns-1 to each ethos.

How long on music did it last?

well i did 5 burps... then i did 2 30 second street beat runs.. and i got smoke... then an hour later i went and did a hair trick on music with dani so i would say 2 or 3 mins ....

you can see the heat marks on the leads...   im sure they just got too hot .. thats alot  of dirty power for 1 lead

I'm interested if the joint failed or the lead itself fail. That amount of power is getting close to the max rating of the lead so it's possible just the lead let go. However it is very common for larger coils to fail at the solder joint where the lead meats the coil. I assume it's because the wire at that point is encased in ca glue and can't dissipate heat like the rest of the coil.

If it is just the lead at that much power then this will fix that.

IMG_02951_zps55e5a739.jpg

And if the coil itself is fine on 30 second runs this is VERY helpful for competitors. This means I can stay with the 4 layer coil instead of an 8. This means that numbers wise the driver would be louder on the same amount if power up high due to inductance. As when you double coil wire length you can expect inductance to drop upper DB 's around 3 DB.

We would still of course need to tighten the spider pack to keep it with mechanical limits to keep the coil from rocking. The coil itself will NEVER bottom out as the spider will hit the top plate first.

If the coil still looks that good and the leads went i'd like to see how long it last with double leads before going slinky on us. 

Im curious Quentin, does doubling the leads have any negative impact on the overall of the sub? 

If the coil still looks that good and the leads went i'd like to see how long it last with double leads before going slinky on us. 

Im curious Quentin, does doubling the leads have any negative impact on the overall of the sub? 

adding the extra lead will do several things.

1.  add about 3 grams to the moving mass of the driver. will shift parameters, almost unnoticeable on something this large even on Klippel.  parameters shift anyway and are an average set        over testing.

2.) could induce slap but HIGHLY unlikely to be audible.  They are sewn pretty good.  

3) could induce distortion by shifting spider parameters.  But this is a non issue in the substage as suspension distortion is considered non audible.  And one you get over 140 db you have to get into 40 and 50 percent over all distortion before it become audible.

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of now.