jonbearsmt

first etho recones

first etho recones   

25 members have voted

1. 1. what coil is OLD... used up .. abused, clipped over powered

• bottom

If the coil still looks that good and the leads went i'd like to see how long it last with double leads before going slinky on us. 

Im curious Quentin, does doubling the leads have any negative impact on the overall of the sub? 

adding the extra lead will do several things.

1.  add about 3 grams to the moving mass of the driver. will shift parameters, almost unnoticeable on something this large even on Klippel.  parameters shift anyway and are an average set        over testing.

2.) could induce slap but HIGHLY unlikely to be audible.  They are sewn pretty good.  

3) could induce distortion by shifting spider parameters.  But this is a non issue in the substage as suspension distortion is considered non audible.  And one you get over 140 db you have to get into 40 and 50 percent over all distortion before it become audible.

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of now.

Awesome, 

Thank you very much!

one more vote...

my meter  is like .5 off.....

but i metered the coil as it passes thru the cone ... so yall could see the coils were fine.. but leads are the only part that failed... and the double leads i do think would fix it.. and i wants them :D

20140118_163039_zps2649f462.jpg

20140118_163101_zps7db92479.jpg

20140118_162912_zps8ef2d53d.jpg

20140118_162832_zps83f48735.jpg

20140118_162817_zpsd2a81e0b.jpg

Just voted , that would make 20

THE BOTTOM COIL IS NEW!!

THE TOP COIL IS THE OLD ABUSED ONE  :D

the bottom former is just folded over a little is all.. that seem to throw alot of people off... but yall should have been going off the coils not the formers :D

i was very impressed with the amount of abuse  i gave these coils... i honestly expected them to be black ... ugly and trashed up........ but i was  surprised  ,..... love the ethos

Okay I guessed right, what do I win?

:D

Free burnt ethos recones for anyone that voted!!!!!

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

Surprised I was right.

That is impressive at the power level you threw at them...I have nearly no concerns running them off rated power levels, after seeing what your have stood up to.  Hope to pay mine off by 3/15(or sooner).

That is impressive at the power level you threw at them...I have nearly no concerns running them off rated power levels, after seeing what your have stood up to. Hope to pay mine off by 3/15(or sooner).

What y'all have to remember the rating given is the power needed to drive sub to Xmax. It's not a "safe" power input that the sub will run without burning up.

On paper the coil will handle ~2,500 watts free air, as not in the sub with cooling without getting hot enough to melt the coil. As posted on the 15 parameters thread the sub was ran free air for about 20min if I recall on 1,800 watts nominal input power with under 2 DB of power compression. The amp that was used is a 2,500 watt rms crown amp calibrated and inline with the Klippel analyzer. The amp was actually set to maximum and ran out of preamp due to increase in Re (again shown in thread).

This was FREE AIR with filtering set at 200 htz!!!

Yay I was right even though I totally guessed haha but damn Quentin you have one hell of a sub here. Excellent work. I just need to measure out trunk and take seats out so I can make sure I can fit the box I want.

one thing is for sure..... DSS is better at laying CA glue then I ... lol

oh, just need to solider the leads and find a tall strong friend and reinstall 

Edited by bigjon

one thing is for sure..... DSS is better at laying CA glue then I ... lol

pics of your mad glue skills? lol

Lets see that ass!(the sub of course)

thing one

20140122_200010_zpsac16d21c.jpg

and thing two

20140122_200004_zps021e29fa.jpg

20140122_200204_zps6abae8a0.jpg

20140122_200209_zpsdccec748.jpg

How much do these weigh? ~60lbs right?

65-70 i would say..  they are heavier then the nightshades and WAY heavier  then the Zcons... .. not that weight is a deciding factor in buying a sub... just stating experience

How much do these weigh? ~60lbs right?

They are about 63 pounds.  I just call it 65 pounds for the 15 and 60 pounds for the 12

Not the worst glue job I've seen Jon.

Looks Alright to me. Now commence testing.

I'll definitely have to upgrade shocks or something then lol

Test i shall!

I'm interested if the joint failed or the lead itself fail. That amount of power is getting close to the max rating of the lead so it's possible just the lead let go. However it is very common for larger coils to fail at the solder joint where the lead meats the coil. I assume it's because the wire at that point is encased in ca glue and can't dissipate heat like the rest of the coil.

From what I've been told, doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the tinsel lead will NOT fix this issue. And yes, it appears that his sub has failed at the exact same joint every other sub fails with this type of tinsel lead. It is the joint from tinsel lead to coil lead. It is the last thing to fail in a subwoofer, which is a good thing in this case as it proves that the surrounds, spiders, coil, and everything is extremely well built.

My theory, it's that type of tinsel lead that is the culprit lol. I can't honestly say I've say the flat ribbon style lead fail this way, at the joint that is. I am just putting together common things I've noticed with that joint failure. 

1 - high power subwoofer (1800rms isn't small power), considering Q has put one of 2500 free air

2 - round tinesl lead

3 - POF - tinsel lead to coil lead joint

4 - Every other softpart in tact

5 - Discoloration in the tinsel lead

6 - Korean made amps

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. My personal experience to support my statement. My same exact Crescendo BC5500, I ran to my 15" SSA Zcon for over 8 months, no failure, and is now still being played in another vehicle. Keep in mind the zcon uses flat ribbon coil tinsel lead. SSA Evil, 3 months after install, tinsel lead to coil lead joint fails. Just now recently "patched" it up via solder 3 months ago, it has failed again.

You can scratch no. 6 off the list. That is all horseshit. It that was the case evey single driver which is at least tens of thousands that has been driven by a IA or Sundown amp would have burnt up.

It's just too much power plain and simple. The only other option to try is to use an encapsulant that can help wick away heat. As that joint is covered in CA glue to keep it from slapping and MAY hold excess heat as it's not being cooled like the rest if the coil.

The lead is actually rated for more power than the 19 gauge wire is. So technically it should the the magnet wire failing and not the lead wire.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

did you read why these subs failed?