Sign in to follow this  
cloud77

Leads burned up; wtf?!

Hmm, interesting. 

This isn't anything new.  The same principles apply to power/isolation transformers.  The main reason all the RF/EMI garbage (like the unfiltered Class D components) doesn't make it through a power/isolation transformer (like the woofer's voice coil) is due to the inductive component presenting high impedance to the unwanted signals.  The high impedance doesn't let the current flow and therefor the signal make it through the transformer (voice coil).

It also doesn't matter if it is a sine wave or some other type of signal, even pulses or a square wave, it has to do with how the inductance simply won't let the current flow...

This isn't anything new.  The same principles apply to power/isolation transformers.  The main reason all the RF/EMI garbage (like the unfiltered Class D components) doesn't make it through a power/isolation transformer (like the woofer's voice coil) is due to the inductive component presenting high impedance to the unwanted signals.  The high impedance doesn't let the current flow and therefor the signal make it through the transformer (voice coil).

It also doesn't matter if it is a sine wave or some other type of signal, even pulses or a square wave, it has to do with how the inductance simply won't let the current flow...

This all makes me think of the post below where I asked about a few things and didn't hear an answer to any technical specs. I did eventually blow my Sp4 as well and got the same run around as all the previous users about having Korean made amplifiers. Someone basically stated that with Korean amps it doesn't matter and that it is simply a matter of time before you blow the leads if applying rated power to the subs. I've read all the posts on how subs are stupid any only do what you tell them which to some extent is true. However, what happened to the correct statement "It's only good as its weakest part" in this case?

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/58823-fi-sp4-on-fire-warranty/page-13

I've ran the same power on a prototype Obsidian 15" rated much lower with no issues whatsoever. Sure, the enclosure plays a big role in the overall "how stupid the sub is" theory, but according to previous statements of how crappy my amps are I should be making my DUAL leads glow and burst in to flames already so to hell with whatever I know about car audio. I shall just continue to install, blow, reinstall, in order to get louder and reach the goals I keep setting for myself. The best way to learn is by your own mistakes instead of the mistakes of others IMO. 

20130716_181652_zps80ce8473.jpg

so what addition to UF class D signals can be added to ensure the voice coil is utilized in the circuit?

so what addition to UF class D signals can be added to ensure the voice coil is utilized in the circuit?

Your question doesn't make sense. If a voice coil is wired into a circuit then it's part of the circuit--there isn't any alternate route.

Or am I misreading your question?

Connect the subwoofer to the amplifier. If the sub plays then it's in the circuit

Impious...  Always there to lay it out so it makes sense...

Impious...  Always there to lay it out so it makes sense...

Haha.  He's just that good.

I'm basically asking if an external subsonic, HP filter, or crossover pre-amp would be a good solution to better signal output.

nope

No