Sign in to follow this  
DedicatedEnthusiast

Cheap alternative to buying a brand new laptop

Laptop took a shit on me today so I was wondering with all the new technology today between nooks, notebooks/notepads, tablets and such what sort of device would allow me to exchange emails, create and save word documents, and apply for jobs online? No music or movie downloads, I don't need to be able to do multiple things at one time just some light core internet browsing, maybe some reading/research at most. I also don't need super high speed browsing abilities or lots of storage capacity, just looking for a replacement for basic every day needs.

I would buy a refurb from tiger direct

I refuse to use a laptop anymore, but to help you, here are some things to help you narrow it down-

If you do not want to type on the screen, either get a newer tablet that supports mice and keyboard plug in, or wireless versions of them(make sure you research compatibility of both options).

Also, office documents, if you do not use a windows based tablet, make sure there are software out there for android that is compatible with the current version of office you were using and that it's FULLY editable in the way you process these documents.

Windows does make a half tab\half laptop type device.  Can't remember price or it's features but that should be enough info to go off of.

I just bought a referb from us micro for $269 shipped.

Depending on how often you write documents, you may end up sick of a tablet. I bought a used Asus netbook off Craigslist for $220 and it does everything you describe.

Also, do you need to be able to print from it?

Edited by ssh

I have a subcription to Microsoft 365 but this laptop came witha down load for "open office"  appeared to be a free share ware product but I didn't use it

Tiger direct aye, never heard of it. Thanks for the info shizzzon. You as well Quentin. ssh I would like to be able to print from it or transfer material via usb. 

I you dont want compactness. Check out ebay and buy a refurbished or used desktop tower. If you have a hdmi hook up on your tv just buy a 12ft cord and boom! Hooked up for 300 and less

Use yours or source a netbook and run Arch Linux. Lightning fast and free.

buy a broken one very cheap and replace the broken parts