Sencheezy

SSA Evil on 6,000 Watts, 12 Months Later

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give an update to how my system has been progressing over this past year, particularly with my subwoofer. I've taken some pictures so you guys can take a look at it for yourself. So let me go ahead and state there is no bashing here towards SSA or F.i. has a build house, this is just what I've experienced.

But first, let me go ahead and explain my driving habbits. I take a lot of road trips. Anywhere from 3-6 a year. Which most average around the 7 hour mark. Also, I do a lot of driving around as well. Prior to my new job that started in just this past October, I had a 40 mile round trip to work. Outside of that, I also go driving around downtown and around the city during the weekends. This can easily average out to around 100 miles per weekend. 

Second, I will explain my listening habbits. My listening habbits can be very extreme. I don't listen to any slowed down music and I may listen to DJSNT or Decaf maybe 7% out of all my music. Most of my music comes from an online rap/hip-hop mixtape website and/or direct rip'd albums which I listen via iPod or the traditional CD Player. For those long road trips, I should also mention that I watch movies, for which will be at full volume (40/40). So just figureativily speaking, this may not be 100% accurate, but for my traditonal driving, (to work and back), I may have the volume full tilt for 30-40% of the drive. For driving around the city on the weekend, probabaly more up towards 80% full tilt at which will be long durations, (5+ straight songs back to back) at any given time. For the road trips outside of watching the movie, which again is at full tilt, I will say maybe around 30-40% of the drive is at fulll time, but is more spread out. I.e. full tilt for 20-30 mins then back down to 50% volume or something. 

So as you can see, I am very hard on my equipment. Now that you have an idea of my driving and listening habbits, I will explain the rest of the system followed by pictures. I have 3 group 31 batteries and 1 stock 130amp alternator supplemented by 1 1/0 run and 1 2gauge power wire from front to back with 2 of the batteires within 3 of the amplifier (crescendo bc5500 at 1ohm). The gain was set by ear which is a little less than half way mark, maybe right at 44 degrees. I've been through two enclosures. One which was 8.3 cuft net, and this one now which is 7 cuft net.

On to the pictures. 

Below is what I noticed in August? Not too sure, but me and Teric estimated this had happen sometime after SBN.

IMAG1132_zpsxfowcw8d.jpg

IMAG1133_zpslduxkfjg.jpg

IMAG1134_zpsypllwvke.jpg

IMAG1135_zpsjxaaki25.jpg

IMAG1136_zpstb4abwhq.jpg

IMAG1137_zpsoqr6zqoo.jpg

IMAG1138_zpsyj2v4sko.jpg

IMAG1139_zps83lnggou.jpg

As you can see, only one pair was affected, not sure if it was the possitive or negative lead. Keep this in mind as I load the next images. Thanks to the help of Teric, we were able to solder the lead back onto the coil lead as soft parts were not in at the time for an recone.

The next set of images, are as of today.

IMAG2060_zpsdngq20ex.jpg

IMAG2061_zpsq2vz5tv8.jpg

IMAG2062_zpsq6ahyxok.jpg

IMAG2063_zpsz2n1vzod.jpg

IMAG2064_zpsrdvzqnpc.jpg

IMAG2065_zpsvna9mtk6.jpg

IMAG2066_zpscz0sq9tu.jpg

IMAG2068_zpstx40hbty.jpg

So there is as I stand today. As you can see, the same pair of lead is now starting to deteriorate in the middle. I'm assuming this is because built of resistance somewhere within it's path to the coil, not sure. But none the less, it's still operational, but the lead is deteriorating as time goes on.

So again, in summary, this is an 18" SSA Evil being powered by an Crescendo Audio BC5500 for over an year with extreme abuse conditions. I hope this helps future buyers in their purchasing decision. And please excuse the grammar, lol, typing at work.

the way the damage has started it looks like the sub has been driven to

it's mechanical limits..the braided lead looks like it was pulled tight and broke

the epoxy around where the lead attaches to the former

it's mechanical limits..the braided lead looks like it was pulled tight and broke

1/4" of the lead had broken off completely, as in it was detached away from the rest of that lead. It's dark out now, I would have to wait till tomorrow to upload a picture of it. 

I just hate that it only happen to one pair of lead, and the other three pair of leads seem to be 100% working order.

Subwoofer abuse charges are in your future. ;)

I've also have only "bottom" the sub out once and a real big maybe twice. I'm not sure if that's the only sign of reaching mechanical limits, but it's one I'm aware of. I can count how many times I've gotten the sub "stinky". Just to list a few supplementary comments.

The same thing happen to my crossfire xs v2, one of the tinsel lead came apart from the coil lead.

7ha2.jpg

The same thing happen to my crossfire xs v2, one of the tinsel lead came apart from the coil lead.

7ha2.jpg

Oh wow! I wonder if others have experienced this as well. 

If you are implying that the leads are fraying because of the stress of over excursion I wouldn't say for sure, but Senchez and I tested to make sure the leads would be long enough. There was still plenty of the lead  left after snipping the leads free closest to the coil point. 

I actually mentioned to Senchez when we installed the sub back in the box that I pretty much guarantee that there is no way it would let loose at the coil again since i pure silver instead of crappy lead solder. From what I can tell it looks like my solder held lol.

Here is Bobby from the other day. Again, pay attention to only one pair blowing.

20140118_185301_zpsf24mzbj7.jpg

20140118_185310_zpstntbsgsa.jpg

I think thats a pretty good testament for the Sub...

Those darn Korean amps... Amirite? Lol. Guess I will post mine too. Because apparently there are sooooo FEW of them out there that have blown this way.

Dammit, I apologize as i didn't get a pic of it separated from the coil, but trust me when I say it definitely went the exact same way. Except mine wasn't an easy fix cause of the spacer.

20130925_170338_zps58d3e26b.jpg

I think thats a pretty good testament for the Sub...

Oh yeah, for fucking sure haha.

not sure if that was sarcasm or not....but I figure a year of pounding on much higher that 'rated' power is decent...maybe I am missing something being rather novice compared to you guys.

not sure if that was sarcasm or not....but I figure a year of pounding on much higher that 'rated' power is decent...maybe I am missing something being rather novice compared to you guys.

You assume higher than rated power. It is quite possible that after rise his amp might be seeing more like 3.2ohms or so. I'm somewhat sure that i'd say there's ISN'T a full 5800rms going to this thing.

I'd say if it did go overpowered that it wouldn't be by as much as you'd think.

Edited by nadcicle

You assume higher than rated power. It is quite possible that after rise his amp might be seeing more like 3.2ohms or so. I'm somewhat sure that i'd say there's ISN'T a full 5800rms going to this thing.

I'd say if it did go overpowered that it wouldn't be by as much as you'd think.

Ahh- I see.

No not at all man. I made this post for two things. A, to prove the testament of the build quality of the driver. And the B, to hopefully have this tinsel lead issue addressed. I love this fucking sub man haha, and will always stand behind it. 

No not at all man. I made this post for two things. A, to prove the testament of the build quality of the driver. And the B, to hopefully have this tinsel lead issue addressed. I love this fucking sub man haha, and will always stand behind it. 

This i can agree with. I'd rather slinky a coil over being unsure if there is going to be a ball of flames behind me from glowing leads sparking all over the place on each bass note.

You boys are tough on equipment, LOL

Man as much as you demo and beat on that sub it doesnt suprise me much. Playing a entire song at full tilt with alot of power is hell on anything, especially after doing that daily for a year solid. Imagine running that Chaos class or whatever Julian use to do with those 3 minute averages on music. You have essentially done that over and over daily just riding around... hahaha

Dont you have a video of you playing full tilt for like 5 minutes straight?

Edited by swift

You boys are tough on equipment, LOL

Man as much as you demo and beat on that sub it doesnt suprise me much. Playing a entire song at full tilt with alot of power is hell on anything, especially after doing that daily for a year solid. Imagine running that Chaos class or whatever Julian use to do with those 3 minute averages on music. You have essentially done that over and over daily just riding around... hahaha

Dont you have a video of you playing full tilt for like 5 minutes straight?

Again, an testament to how well this driver is built, a testament to how much abuse it can sustain, it's insane.

hahaha yeah I have an video of it playing in the air tonight for the whole 6 minutes, full tilt, which has already been modified.

No doubt this sub is well built, my only question and hope to see change is the design of the tinsel lead to the coil lead as that seems to be the weakest point. I know those round leads are rated at something stupid, like 100 amps each or something, and I'm no where near that, but yet they are still failing. But if you notice, the cone still seems 100%, the spider, still 100%, hell the coil is still fucking shiny like day one. Every other softpart is intact, except the tinsel lead. Which is my only, and I stress, only, arguement for this sub.

I didn't check, but I am sure a recone will set you back a couple Franklin's.....

I didn't check, but I am sure a recone will set you back a couple Franklin's.....

yes lol

it seems like back in the day the problem with leads was them snapping because of excursion. Now a days they are burning up because they are sandwiched or sewn. I think it had something to do with the materials it is connected to, and the amount of glue used to secure them in place.

yes lol

Did you think about getting two DSS Ethos 15"? More cone area is a plus and it would be a nice change to what you currently have.