Sencheezy

SSA Evil on 6,000 Watts, 12 Months Later

that sub is a victim of full tilt abuse....

I see this happen ALOT..... it is usually caused by over exerting the sub

due to simply exceeding the subs mechanical limits from heavy equalization

or clipping the amp

I have had braided leads get so hot that they have ignited the woofer cone

and burnt a hole right thru it

all operator caused...it's got nothing to do with the build quality of the sub

that sub is a victim of full tilt abuse....

I see this happen ALOT..... it is usually caused by over exerting the sub

due to simply exceeding the subs mechanical limits from heavy equalization

or clipping the amp

I have had braided leads get so hot that they have ignited the woofer cone

and burnt a hole right thru it

all operator caused...it's got nothing to do with the build quality of the sub

I'm not exactly sure what to look for when you say "exerting" the sub haha. But I have definately applied a lot of abuse to this sub over the past year. But again, through all of this abuse, it has survied, even with a band aid on it haha. My poor baby. During this past year, I'm really not sure what signs to look for for preventing this from happening in the future. I suppose my ears are still very young. But from what I've been taught thus far, you want to use your senses to tell when a subwoofer is having too much stress being applied. So when I play my system, I am always listening for signs of stress. I listen for bottoming out, coil rub, smells, any kind of rocking noise, etc. And this sub seems to have never given me any of these sign to a point of driver failure. Again, it has only bottomed out once or maybe twice. It has gotten smelly before yes, but not or no where to close to what I've smelled before of a failing sub. There is never any knocking noise no nothing haha. I heard no pop when the first tinsel lead went away. Which I failed to mention, was over 4 months without noticing I was only listening to one coil.

I didn't check, but I am sure a recone will set you back a couple Franklin's.....

yes lol

Did you think about getting two DSS Ethos 15"? More cone area is a plus and it would be a nice change to what you currently have.

:peepwall:

I burned up the leads on my zcon as well. All people claim its "clipping"

98 Honda Broke it down to this:

It has nothing to do with clipping.

"It has nothing to do with filtering either, the inductance of the voice coil prevents the higher frequencies from ever causing enough current flow to actually heat the leads. Don't believe me? Calculate the current flow through a 3-4 mh inductor (the voice coil) at the switching frequency of the amp at the maximum rail voltage... It is no more than a few watts, that doesn't heat up crap... (an amp that switches at 250K will see a load of 4.7Kohms into a 3mh voice coil at that frequency, this will equal 2 watts if the amplifier put that out at 100 VAC..., harmonics will be even lower) Hopefully this put the whole "microwave the leads" myth to rest...

It has to do with the lead in your case having a failure in one place and the current is forced to flow through less effective cross-sectional area of conductor, increasing heat. As heat increases voltage drop and heat increases. It just keeps getting worse.

You have a 3Kw amp, that is what burned up the leads..."

I burned up the leads on my zcon as well. All people claim its "clipping"

98 Honda Broke it down to this:

It has nothing to do with clipping.

"It has nothing to do with filtering either, the inductance of the voice coil prevents the higher frequencies from ever causing enough current flow to actually heat the leads. Don't believe me? Calculate the current flow through a 3-4 mh inductor (the voice coil) at the switching frequency of the amp at the maximum rail voltage... It is no more than a few watts, that doesn't heat up crap... (an amp that switches at 250K will see a load of 4.7Kohms into a 3mh voice coil at that frequency, this will equal 2 watts if the amplifier put that out at 100 VAC..., harmonics will be even lower) Hopefully this put the whole "microwave the leads" myth to rest...

It has to do with the lead in your case having a failure in one place and the current is forced to flow through less effective cross-sectional area of conductor, increasing heat. As heat increases voltage drop and heat increases. It just keeps getting worse.

You have a 3Kw amp, that is what burned up the leads..."

Haha, going by this, I have blew my tinsel lead because I am applying an additional 2,000 watts of power than rated to my sub daily for long duration for over an year.

Ok, I can live with that.

I didn't check, but I am sure a recone will set you back a couple Franklin's.....

yes lol

Did you think about getting two DSS Ethos 15"? More cone area is a plus and it would be a nice change to what you currently have.

I am checking your photobucket daily

Below are the pictures of Bobby's first Evil before the recone.

20131122_075408_zps7rysbtrl.jpg

20131122_075431_zpsgm9rroj7.jpg

you have very nice equip in your build btw. I respek dem.

Hey thanks a lot man. A lot of the stuff has just been a gathering of almost three years now. This vehicle started off with an Icon and aq1200 haha.

Lmao!!! I wish I was able to be less responsible with my money. Smh! Make sure to pm me the photos

yes lol

I am checking your photobucket daily

not sure if that was sarcasm or not....but I figure a year of pounding on much higher that 'rated' power is decent...maybe I am missing something being rather novice compared to you guys.

No not at all man. I made this post for two things. A, to prove the testament of the build quality of the driver. And the B, to hopefully have this tinsel lead issue addressed. I love this fucking sub man haha, and will always stand behind it. 

Awesome sub indeed. As for getting the tinsel lead issue addressed, about the only way to fix that, is to switch to an amp with better mosfet switching filtering. Try a JBL GTi 6000 or a pair of Rockford t4000. :D

not sure if that was sarcasm or not....but I figure a year of pounding on much higher that 'rated' power is decent...maybe I am missing something being rather novice compared to you guys.

No not at all man. I made this post for two things. A, to prove the testament of the build quality of the driver. And the B, to hopefully have this tinsel lead issue addressed. I love this fucking sub man haha, and will always stand behind it. 

Awesome sub indeed. As for getting the tinsel lead issue addressed, about the only way to fix that, is to switch to an amp with better mosfet switching filtering. Try a JBL GTi 6000 or a pair of Rockford t4000. biggrin.png

go for the JBL A6000gti if you can find one

I had a JBL A3000gti amp........those things have the SICKEST woofer control

over anything I have ever heard in car audio

I would have kept mine but I just do not have the room for the amp and

4 batteries to run it anymore

Well put Steve.

So you are running a 5.8k amp @ 1ohm (close to double the rms of the sub) on your stock alternator?

Well, no shit the sub is going to fail, I am surprised it lasted so long.

So you are running a 5.8k amp @ 1ohm (close to double the rms of the sub) on your stock alternator?

Again, I will reiterate, a testament to how much abuse this subwoofer can handle.

well so much for the big debate........... was the amp clipping or was it HF dirt from the class D ........???? ughdunno.gif

To many Davidson Co.phone books lol

Again, I will reiterate, a testament to how much abuse this subwoofer can handle.

You sure did put it through it's paces. The video's of abuse and demos. Hope to see you recone it and keep it slamming!

You sure did put it through it's paces. The video's of abuse and demos. Hope to see you recone it and keep it slamming!

Actually, it's still 100% operational. I still abuse it today as I've abused it since day one lol. There is a new plan for 2014, so the recone "may" not be necessary.

To many Davidson Co.phone books lol

No such thing?

Showing how it failed repeatedly, isn't really a testament of greatness. More like showing a weak spot.

That's just the way I'm reading it anyway.

Showing how it failed repeatedly, isn't really a testament of greatness. More like showing a weak spot.

That's just the way I'm reading it anyway.