frogcase2002

static sound from speakers

What could be the cause of a staticy sound coming through speakers? It doesn't seem like any kind of engine noise cause it happens with the motor off. It sounds like static from the radio if a radio station is not coming in good but quiet...... And it still happens when my rca's are unhooked from my amp and/or head unit.

Edited by frogcase2002

And it does it when its on the radio, aux, Cd, usher. Or whatever I try.... and its sometimes worse than other times

I'm running an active front stage. I have a clarion cz702 head unit...... 4 crescendo pwx's on a ppi a600.2 and 2 audioque tweeters on a ppi a200.2

Let me know if you have any question's

Is it something that just started happening?

Maybe your gains might be set too high?

I just installed the head unit and the amps. I didn't notice hearing anything right when I hooked everything up but noticed it the second time I went out to listen to it. . . I didn't hear anything when testing the amps inside my house and the head unit is brand new

Well, if you just put it in I would double check the wiring especially grounds.

then make sure you gain are set right.

It might be a bad connection somewhere.

Well, if you just put it in I would double check the wiring especially grounds.

then make sure you gain are set right.

It might be a bad connection somewhere.

I'm hoping its a bad ground or something, Since I don't have a ground run from front to back batts. . . I don't think the gains are set to high. I did just set them by ear but I'm really easy on my audio. I don't hear any kind of stress on any of the drivers. The sound quality is really really good right now but there is just that little static/hissing noise coming from the speakers. . . . Seems like its louder on the right side but still comes through all drivers...

When tracking down static I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I did in my truck. I pulled out my rcas completely and tested with them free from underneath the carpet and noticed absolutely no static at all, but if I got remotely close to my power or ground points I could hear it. More so from the power than my ground, but it was there. I definitely suggest double checking how far or close your speaker wire runs and rcas are from sources of power. Good luck either way as I was pulling my hair out trying to find mine.

When tracking down static I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I did in my truck. I pulled out my rcas completely and tested with them free from underneath the carpet and noticed absolutely no static at all, but if I got remotely close to my power or ground points I could hear it. More so from the power than my ground, but it was there. I definitely suggest double checking how far or close your speaker wire runs and rcas are from sources of power. Good luck either way as I was pulling my hair out trying to find mine.

The rca wires and speaker wire is ran on the other side of the car as the power wire. . . .I can also hear it when the rca 's are not even hooked up. . . . Only place there close is behind the head unit where the rca wires and the head units power wire is near each other and right by the amps........ the amps are REALLY close to the rear batts though(not sure if that matters)...................... only thing I am thinking it could be (other than amps being messed up).. is amps to close to rear batts. Or because my grounds for the rear batts are just to the body of the car and not from front batt.

The rca wires and speaker wire is ran on the other side of the car as the power wire. . . .I can also hear it when the rca 's are not even hooked up. . . . Only place there close is behind the head unit where the rca wires and the head units power wire is near each other and right by the amps........ the amps are REALLY close to the rear batts though(not sure if that matters)...................... only thing I am thinking it could be (other than amps being messed up).. is amps to close to rear batts. Or because my grounds for the rear batts are just to the body of the car and not from front batt.

I'd take out the body ground if you think it is done well enough as I personally push about 7k with body ground without any issues of static or anything. While it doesn't hurt to run a ground front to back I don't see that as the root of the issue just yet. Not personally familiar with the cz702, but if it has an option to turn off internal amplifier I would definitely do that as well. I have seen where even though no speakers are hooked up the internal amp draws power and causes a hum through rca's when turned at max level on some head units. What is the max volume of your HU and what are you turning it to when you start to hear the static? For that matter does anything have to be playing to hear the static or can you pause a song and still hear it?

I'd take out the body ground if you think it is done well enough as I personally push about 7k with body ground without any issues of static or anything. While it doesn't hurt to run a ground front to back I don't see that as the root of the issue just yet. Not personally familiar with the cz702, but if it has an option to turn off internal amplifier I would definitely do that as well. I have seen where even though no speakers are hooked up the internal amp draws power and causes a hum through rca's when turned at max level on some head units. What is the max volume of your HU and what are you turning it to when you start to hear the static? For that matter does anything have to be playing to hear the static or can you pause a song and still hear it?

I'm not forsure about turning the internal amp off..... the volume goes up to 40 and I usually don't have it past 30..... but it can be at 0 and I still hear it. And it doesn't get any louder or anything with an increase in volume

The head unit is using the stock ground and stock turn on..... and power is ran strait to batt with fuse. . Not sure if that matters

Maybe run a new turn on and ground? So the head unit is separate from everything else?

Hmm.. I always start on ground on hu. But noise coming from the speakers with the rcas unattached would mean differently. Any spare channel amp sitting around? Or another car you can test the channel amp in?

Hmm.. I always start on ground on hu. But noise coming from the speakers with the rcas unattached would mean differently. Any spare channel amp sitting around? Or another car you can test the channel amp in?

Yea I have a couple I could try. . Seems like its only coming though one door. Not though the tweeters or other door. . . Ill go and switch the speaker wires on the 600.2 and see if it switches doors. I hope its not the amp. Seemed to work fine inside testing it

What could be wrong with the amp if one channel is producing a staticy noise? But its still there when rca's are unhooked

Had an old California that had leaky caps that was always fuzzy on 1 channel. Have a zed boss with a dirty pot that causes issues and required fenagling the thing to find a clean spot. There are a number of things to try on the amp. Running a ground to the rca shielding has worked for some on amps as well. Static really isn't the easiest to find. You'll find yourself tearing everything out and replacing to no avail in some cases.

Change channels, see if it follows the cabling or the channel of the amp.

Change channels, see if it follows the cabling or the channel of the amp.

Plus one!