Stephen93s10

Opinions on Rockford p3 compared to sundown SA

Hello everyone, I have heard Rockford fosgate p3 12s in a ported box and sundown SA 12s in a ported box, I heard them at different times and both seem to be about the same as far as loudness goes, they are both 600 rms. I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with either and what sub is a "better sub" in your opinion.

SA series! Customer service is better too.

the better sub would be the one installed correctly in the right enclosure. 

I have had awesome results from both new gen rockfords and sundown. I would push you toward sundown because of the cs, and its "less" mainstream, but both are great pics.

The p3's are excellent subs, I've done many installs with them and I've always been happy with how the sounded. The return policy on Rockford subs is pretty incredible.. Blow it? Return it within the warranty period and get a new one.

Yeah, when I heard the p3s, I was surprised at how good they sounded, to me. So if both were given the proper enclosure and correct power, would there be an audible difference between the SA drivers and p3 drivers? Also can a p3 be reconed?

when Rockford Fosgate sent me a batch of the new subs ( a pair of 12" P3 , a pair of 12" T2 's and a 12" P3 shallow )

anyways I blew a T2 in a common chamber ( JBL/Crown BPX 2200.1 amp) so they sent me a replacement

and blew another one a few days later so I built a common chamber for the pair of P3's

I BEET the crap out of those things for 6 months...got all sorts of weird smells from the voice coil but they just kept going...

hooked them up to the Crown A3000gti and they took it for over a month ...

those P3's can take ALOT of clean power and they hit really decent

Blow it? Return it within the warranty period and get a new one.

Seriously? That is very unheard of in this industry. 

Yep their return policy is pretty no questions asked. 

SA series! Customer service is better too.

Very hard to believe, RF has some serious customer service going on.

Every driver I have ever purchased in a B&M store has been this way.  EVERY one, no matter the company.

Every driver I have ever purchased in a B&M store has been this way. EVERY one, no matter the company.

Yeah with Rockford they don't even repair the sub the dealer is just supposed to dispose of it.

So you can't buy recones for them? Would there be an audible difference between them and the Sundown SA's, both given the proper enclosure and power?

model them and find out

Model and then model some more

I modeled both. Not 100% sure how I should read this...

p3-sa12-2.jpg

p3-sa12.jpg

What do you guys make of this? How does this read to you? Looks like the P3 prefers a larger box for a flat response.where as the SA does not.

Now putting the p3 in a more manageable sized enclosure I get this added to the graph

p3-sa122a.jpg

p3-sa122.jpg

What does this tell you?

Your "flat" enclosure is going to be nothing more than a bloated low end pig once you plug transfer function in.  You'll likely have a narrow response and steep rolloff on th top.

So according to the graph what would be the difference between the Sa's and p3's?

Once loaded into the car, very little if anything.

Edit: thanks. . Just trying to help my cousin (OP) find the right woofers.

Edited by smashedz28

I work at a brick and mortar store. We are authorized dealers for Hertz, Audison (Elettromedia), Rockford, Alpine, Helix, Brax, Pioneer, Kenwood, and JL. If ANYTHING blows, we take them, swap them out, and send em off. Never had a problem or a complaint.

I work at a brick and mortar store. We are authorized dealers for Hertz, Audison (Elettromedia), Rockford, Alpine, Helix, Brax, Pioneer, Kenwood, and JL. If ANYTHING blows, we take them, swap them out, and send em off. Never had a problem or a complaint.

Yeah you work in Sacramento, maybe after I save up some money ill come by and check out the equipment that the store sells