garychurch84

square VC subsN

This may be a stupid thread or question or both.I was curious if. anyone out there has designed a square vc sub?Would there be any pros and cons if it was/could be done?Sorry if this is waste,I woke up with this random thought for some odd reason lol.

That N is soppose to be a ? mark.in the title

Edited by garychurch84

You have never heard of Kicker?

Reread and actual comprehend

Op is talking about the voice coil itself and not the cone/basket.

lol thx,its still early in the morning lol

I figured there would be heat stress in the corners if one was made,but I dunno

It is worded odd.

To have a A Square Voice Coil, the former, the bottom of the cone, the coil wrap and motor would all have to be square.. 

Even then, i would think the corners of the coil would have non symmetrical characteristics with the rest of the coil. 

You may think it would lend to more coil in a given space but to be able to use it properly is in question.

If that is the only benefit, more coil, then it wouldn't be practical as current formers are just fine.

My grammar isn't the best.

i seen the word sub in the phrase and threw me off.  sub implied fully assembled speaker and i'm thinking cone at that point.

square voice coil sub could mean single voice coil with square cone.

or what it really means as you see it, square voice coil.

I read it as voice coil just fine  :shrug:

You and me both

Doesn't alpine have a square coiled woofer or mid?

Fuck mornings though, i'm probably wrong lol

Or am I thinking the type x...wound on the inside and outside of the former...

I been giving google a work over,haven't found much YET!

I've never seen a square VC on anything anything over the years.  There have been only a few companies that have done unusually shaped VC's over the years but the shape didn't change much from round, hexagon.  Past that and all the years I've been playing with audio I'm not aware of anyone who's built anything with an odder shape than that.

A round coil seems like the most easy and cheap solution, so I don't really see anyone going this route.

Holy magnetic field non-uniformities

Lol,I asked if it cab be done if so what would be the pros/cons of such a coil?not if anyone has ecer seem them lol.stay om point!haha

Lol,I asked if it cab be done if so what would be the pros/cons of such a coil?not if anyone has ecer seem them lol.stay om point!haha

I don't see anything good by using a square voice coil. Round is the best way to go!

I don't see anything good by using a square voice coil. Round is the best way to go!

I can agree with this,say a 2' round coil wouldn't have as much area as the 2' square coil.but I dunno lol.

This was a random thought I woke up with yesterday figured some of the tech guys would have a little input on it

I can agree with this,say a 2' round coil wouldn't have as much area as the 2' square coil.but I dunno lol.

This was a random thought I woke up with yesterday figured some of the tech guys would have a little input on it

http://www.goto-denshi.com/product-square-wire-melit.html

square wire is better.

square wire is better.

Subwoofers with flat wire are already being produced, he is asking about square coils.

square wire is better.

Subwoofers with flat wire are already being produced, he is asking about square coils.
thank you.lol

Its all good this is a dead subject if it could be done/or be better it would happened by now

it was dead long before the tread began. you cant beat physics for the reason m5 pointed out.