Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

cold weather and subs...

a few days ago it was about -28F outside and i had my radio maxed out from when i arrived at work. when i left i started my truck and forgetting i had the volume up i didnt turn it down before it started to play. i got about 1/4 of a note out of my sub and it stopped playing, tonight i pulled my sub out of its box to find one of the tinsel leads broken in half. i soldered it back together and the sub works now but my amp does not. my KX2500.1 powers on but there is no AC voltage out of its terminals. i assume the sub caused some degree of arcing on the amp.   how common is it for subs to blow apart due to cold weather? now obviously my case is max power at very cold temps but still, given that the forecast is for -25 - -38 for the next few weeks id like to know more about how sub zero temps effects the amps and such.

ill pull my amp apart later this week to check it out.

Edited by ncc74656

never really had issues with the cold.  turn mine up while it's still cold no problems.  And it's been in the negatives here since november...  With a nice -40 a couple of mornings a week ago...

If the leads crossed when it broke, it could have popped a fuse on your amp (if your amp has fuses) which would cause no output voltage, but still turn on...

I start low and slowly work up, as well as having the heat full tilt. I noticed my subs weren't as loud, but they sounded much tighter than usual, I assumed they were frozen.

I start low and slowly work up, as well as having the heat full tilt. I noticed my subs weren't as loud, but they sounded much tighter than usual, I assumed they were frozen.

I think the soft parts get stiffer in cold weather and sound better heated up.

My doors sounded a little harsh on the vocals, kinda sharp (is bright the word?). I like warm better too.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Some of it is just in our heads because of this cold blast.lol

" I still love music in a car, but I accept the default system in much the same way a teenager accepts the sound of an MP3 player to fill the void of empty silence."

That last line broke my heart :(

i dont think the KX has fuses, im assuming the PCB is screwed but i wont be able to remove the amp untill this weekend. its a good hour long job to pull the amp out. ill see how well i can do fixing it myself and go from there. i kinda wish kicker would put fuses in there, would save so many blown amps.

dont you fuse close to the amp for those that do not have internal fuses?