Sign in to follow this  
DedicatedEnthusiast

(2) 12'' Fi Q'S with cooling or (2) 12'' AA Havoc&

Now days the new Fi Q's are rated for 1500 RMS stock, 1700-1900 RMS with cooling while the AA Havoc is rated for 1250. In searching older reviews and comparisons I have read that for the most part the Havoc plays better down low but I don't know if it will handle the 1800-1900 watts RMS daily the Crescendo BC3500D will be giving it. I would like for the enclosure to be 5.0 net cubes tuned to a medium of 31 Hz either way and I prefer lower end deep and ground-pounding bass in the 28-36hz range more than anything. I want to flex my car to bitts and pieces and "feel" the music more than merely hear it. I want to violently shake everything and make it feel as though my car is falling apart on the lows. My only other consideration would be a Fi Bl but I am afraid it will be lacking on the lows for me as I mainly listen to chopped and screwed music and decaf down low (27-34hz)

I'd pick the Q's but that's just me. It's the woofer I want most from Fi, but I adore my BTL. Fi and AA are both awesome, so you won't go wrong. Hopefully some owners of those subs will chime in.

And lol fi and are like, nottttt really a different company lol. All the same people s :)

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Thanks man do you know if the cooling option takes away from the low end or sound quality? I've heard its negligible in a ported enclosure but it does alter the specs somewhat.

Not enough to pass it up. I have an obsession with tuning lower and lower to get them notes out; my BTL has everything (loaded, so with cooling included), and it makes every other woofer I've owned tap out. My twelves were tuned lower, but this monster didn't get the memo.

I'd be content with only Fi woofers from here on out :)

Box design will overrule smaller things like that; so utilize the available space wisely. For 5 cubes net you might want to consider tens, or sealed twelves. You could also save some money with a single fifteen in that space.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I like the Fi Q's

why are you even looking at the Q's when you should be looking at something like the Bl's. why would the bl lack low end? have you modelled any of these subs? 

I've got 1 12" bl. It's a low end monster, I don't know where the lacking lows would come into play. If you tune @ 31 like you said, the lows will devastate your ear drums. Mine is at 32 hz. The bl seems to shine from about 40 hz down. Although car acoustics will play a role the bl would be an awesome option.

I've had a couple Q's. Box and car will play a huge role but the 12" in about 2 cubes tuned low 30's in my buddy's car digs deep for a single 12. Love the way it sounds.

Going by your description of what your looking to get from your system, look elsewhere. Get a BL or find a used btl.

Edited by smashedz28

I figured two 12's would yield a better turnout due to the advantage of cone area over a single fifteen and is 5.0 net cubes not optimal for two 12'' Fi Q's? The website recommends 1.8-2.5 per speaker. Also I thought that generally speaking ported gets louder and goes lower? Lithium I did not know I should be looking into something like the Bl's and I never said that they did lack lows just that I didn't know if they could play them with the same level of authority as the Q's.

Edited by DedicatedEnthusiast

I figured two 12's would yield a better turnout due to the advantage of cone area over a single fifteen and is 5.0 net cubes not optimal for two 12'' Fi Q's? The website recommends 1.8-2.5 per speaker. Also I thought that generally speaking ported gets louder and goes lower? Lithium I did not know I should be looking into something like the Bl's and I never said that they did lack lows just that I didn't know if they could play them with the same level of authority as the Q's.

model them and see for yourself. a lot of subjectivity has been thrown around here

The Fi Q is my favorite woofer. Other than my RE XXX v3 =]

more subjectivity. come on guys.. 

Fair enough so IF I went with the dual 12'' Q's would a 5.0 net cubed ported/vented enclosure tuned to 31Hz off a Crescendo BC3500D at one ohm on strong electrical be acceptable? Just making sure I am not far off on anything here in aiming for the best overall output out of these speakers.

Edited by DedicatedEnthusiast

lithium could you please explain to me the difference in sound quality/output I could expect from an SQ/"SQL" type speaker (the Q) vs more of an SPL oriented speaker such as the BL??

If you tune to 30 Hz at that volume for the Qs, havocs, sundown x, Icon, and supply them with clean power, you will be able to clear up the low notes without a problem. Tuning as low as 27Hz will take away from all the mid range, but if that's what you want, its worth a try to your liking.

To be honest I'm not sure I have an adequate understanding of SQ vs SPL. I just know that I like songs that dig DEEP and LOW such as walk with a waddle, thuggin, swing my door, itchin, soul survivor, I cook etc.

Fair enough so IF I went with the dual 12'' Q's would a 5.0 net cubed ported/vented enclosure tuned to 31Hz off a Crescendo BC3500D at one ohm on strong electrical be acceptable? Just making sure I am not far off on anything here in aiming for the best overall output out of these speakers.

This would be a very nice sounding and loud set up. This would be my dream set up =]

cloud77 what do you mean by mid range? For example if I tuned to 28 Hz how high above that 28 could I play with extreme authority?

like 40-60Hz. If you tune to 31-32 you will hit these frequencies very loudly with 12's.

I know that typically one can play 2-3 Hz below tuning frequency but how high above tuning can one play without fading off into less of a noticeable response?

Ok...I know there are few even Decaf songs that go below 30HZ and my favorite range being 30-32 I figured I would tune to 31 so I could still play low (26-30) and mid range (30-36)

I would say when you tune to 32Hz, It gives you the ability to play about 10Hz below tuning and sound well and also get good mid range bass from the woofers. That's why they recommend this tuning in their cut sheets. The Fs of the Q 12 D2 is 34, so I wouldn't tune much farther below 32.