Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

the over-RMS fetish

I think manufacturers should quietly rate their subs at half power. What in the ever loving fuck makes everyone think that it's a minimum power rating? I had to stop doing installs in my home town because they buy some duals or kicker comps and throw a hifonics 2k on if then piss themselves when their shit fucks up. Then repeat. This one dude, I put in four systems in six months because he refused to turn the gain below max. He didn't want to have them at less than full output, excuse my retarded ass then. Wtf.

/rant

Sorry. But that's been in my head for a while. Speakers deserve better treatment, fight for driver rights! :lol:

Or do what Quentin does, tell em how much they need to hit xmax in the correct enclosure and call it a day.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Speaking of quentin.. i'm sure he has some ideas.

For daily beating, I don't see the need. For competition, there is a purpose.

For daily beating, I don't see the need. For competition, there is a purpose.

Competitors usually know what to do.

I'm not referring to intelligent individuals.

Daily.

Yea people need to know what there doing when running a lot of power.

And this is why Q is da man.  Puts stuff is term thae average guy can understand.

And this is why Q is da man.  Puts stuff is term thae average guy can understand.

x2

There is also a business side to things.  If you don't have a sea of pallets filled with drivers that are sitting there, with a large margin, cannot really rate where you would like it to be.  This is simply due to the amount of inexperienced DIY'ers out there.

Personally, I think RMS ratings should only be the thermal rating of the coil, nothing more, nothing less.  

Any other rating should be called something else.  I say this because it is the least meaningful specification given by a manufacturer, but none the less, it should be an objective one.

Personally, I think RMS ratings should only be the thermal rating of the coil, nothing more, nothing less.  

Any other rating should be called something else.  I say this because it is the least meaningful specification given by a manufacturer, but none the less, it should be an objective one.

How hot before it fails, doesn't even sound to my ears like it would help me design a box for it any day of the week, know what I'm saying?

I was educated by a guy once...he explained to me how the input sensitivity gain works

if the amplifier is rated at 100w rms you have to crank the gain to achieve this

and if you turn the gain down to half your output is 50 w rms.......and so on.....

and if a sub is rated 100w peak it will take that 100w rms

I told the guy he was very knowledgable and he should do this shit professionally

......he thought I was serious....LOL

Edited by Thumpper

How hot before it fails, doesn't even sound to my ears like it would help me design a box for it any day of the week, know what I'm saying?

"Thumpper"

lol this guy! Only reason why I run boss subs because im a boss and they just fit me.

Edited by Dictator

There is also a business side to things.  If you don't have a sea of pallets filled with drivers that are sitting there, with a large margin, cannot really rate where you would like it to be.  This is simply due to the amount of inexperienced DIY'ers out there.

Still recovering from a bought of insomnia, clarify a little please? :)

95Honda, I'm agreeing with you lol