Sign in to follow this  
Lee Carter

why? (4th order)

Why is it that many many build lately have a box similar to this:

(no math was used- just a visual interpretation)

BoxQuestion.jpg

I guess what I don't understand is how those lil flaps on each side are a port....just seems like an open hole to me.  Are these boxes more musicl or SPL oriented?  i am assuming SPL, as most that I see are in competition vehicles.

most 4th orders are tuned between 45-50 hz from what ive seen.  You dont need a long port when tuning that high.

wallthickness could very wel be 3 or 4 inches thick on a larger install

if the frontchamber is big enough only a very short port is needed .

That's 4th order bandpass, not 4th order. They're meant to have a very efficient and small band of frequencies.

post-29720-0-57288900-1391195803.jpg

That's the same design I came across while searching google for box designs for my Pontiac GP.I don't like the setup myself rather have a standard center vented enclosure.The port looks BS to me.

Edited by garychurch84

If you dont understand 4th order bandpass enclosures then you wont understand the port. Plain and simple

That's 4th order bandpass, not 4th order. They're meant to have a very efficient and small band of frequencies.

Everything I have studied for 2 hrs basically says you're seled side privides deep solid bass, while the ported/open end tuning boosts upper frequencies.  Also read the open side is generally a 2-3:1 ratio.  I looked at a formula for calculateing bandpass boxes and mind melted.LOL 

I have the room in my AV to try one- but I just don't know if I'll be better just sticking to my ported design.  The 4th order bandpass would be easier to build IMO when you take into account that it would only be 1 hole through my 'show' baffle.

Anyone interested in designing something for 2 15" DSS Ethos...48wx20hx deep as you need.

Everything I have studied for 2 hrs basically says you're seled side privides deep solid bass, while the ported/open end tuning boosts upper frequencies.  Also read the open side is generally a 2-3:1 ratio.  I looked at a formula for calculateing bandpass boxes and mind melted.LOL 

I have the room in my AV to try one- but I just don't know if I'll be better just sticking to my ported design.  The 4th order bandpass would be easier to build IMO when you take into account that it would only be 1 hole through my 'show' baffle.

Anyone interested in designing something for 2 15" DSS Ethos...48wx20hx deep as you need.

Q would probably design that for you. I thought he was offering a BP option on the subs for a good passband in 4th order BP.

Edited by gprestonmoto

I just read another thread on here...I am going to stick to my original plan- it was recomended by Q in the first plase...and he know his speakers best.

Thanks for all the info.

/close thread.  lol

I just read another thread on here...I am going to stick to my original plan- it was recomended by Q in the first plase...and he know his speakers best.

Thanks for all the info.

/close thread.  lol

I've bothered that poor man more times than I'd like to admit and he always comes through. I would take his recommendations on the Ethos' as gospel. C/S at its finest.

Edited by gprestonmoto

Thanks for all the info.

/close thread.  lol

I've bothered that poor man more times than I'd like to admit and he always comes through. I would take his recommendations on the Ethos' as gospel. C/S at its finest.

Quoted for THE TRUTH.  Quenten is da man.

Look at my thread on "port location,need opininions"Q post some good info on how to use the calculator on 4th bandpass.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/61666-port-locationopinions-needed/page-3

Edited by garychurch84

I guess I need to call Vance and order a few hundred cookbooks and start giving them out for free with orders.

LOL- I read the pages you posted on gary's thread...I still didn't understand.  I am just dense like that.

TEST TEST AND MORE TESTING IS WHaT I GOT OUT OF IT!

Subs facing each other... way too much port area.. gross

Edited by Tenacious

lol. nothing wrong with either. 

My sketch?  As stated- no math was involved- just a visual aid. 

I based the drawing off of jlm1216's bad ass 8 15" zcon box...but cut down to 2 subs

3AA27D9F-5839-4235-8AC5-089FBA9A098A-372

I'm still waiting in the other thread of when/why to use a 4th order BP.

^^me too

AFAIK you need them when your trunk is separate from the cabin of the car. You only have an access by the ski hole or by the holes made for some rear speakers.

If you can flip down the back seats, it is not needed : a 4th order ported box would be good.

I am in no way an expert !!! So I'm waiting on some more info too !

AFAIK you need them when your trunk is separate from the cabin of the car. You only have an access by the ski hole or by the holes made for some rear speakers.

If you can flip down the back seats, it is not needed : a 4th order ported box would be good.

I am in no way an expert !!! So I'm waiting on some more info too !

i read a post by M5 somewhere that said that same theory, thats when I came in, and posted, I was gonna stick to my traditional ported box.  Since I am removing the midgate in my Avalanche and firing straight into the cab.

I guess I need to call Vance and order a few hundred cookbooks and start giving them out for free with orders.

LMAO!Depending on where you get them can get pretty pricey.