SpeakerBoy

Impedance question

I am having a fucktard moment, and have a basic ass question. 

I have, on each channel, two 6 ohm speakers in series for 12 ohms, and then paralleled to a 2 ohm coil.

What is the final impedance? I googled several calcs, and none had options for multiple impedances, save for one, but that one gave some answers that looked completely wrong, as in, the speakers with lower impedances receiving less power.... I'm just double checking that this temporary setup isn't wired to a reckless load, my amp doesn't like going below 4, and the last calc I tried gave me 1.7ohm final. It doesn't heat up, and doesn't cut out....But I'm not trying to learn the hard way.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Yes, that's about right on the value, 1.7 ohms would be correct and yes the speakers wired in series with the higher ohm loads will not see the same power the 2 ohm speaker will.

Basic electricity and ohms law.

The forumla for different resistances in parallel is 1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3) Where each R is the resistance of each resistor in the circuit and the forumla can be scaled up or down from just two resistances to as many as a person would care to try to calculate for.

1/( 1/(2ohms) + 1/(12ohms)) = 1/( .5 + .083) = 1/.583 = 1.7 ohms

Rewired them all in series for a 14ohm friendly load. Thanks man :)

But why would the speakers with higher loads receive more power?

I have a two channel amp and am just trying to help the sub see more power than the satellite speakers. Im using my btl as a room radio for a month or so and got a nice yamaha set to cover highs. Satellites are all 6 ohms and my btl is a d2

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Wth are you trying to do? No calc necessary bad idea so far....

I just want a safe load for the amp. my speakers are only 2.5" so I hooked a coil of the BTL to each channel to add some bass. Far from ideal but better than a cellphone speaker.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Problem is solved already man... I was just asking why the calculator told me speakers with a higher resistance were receiving more power. I don't need your judgements of Sq or practicality just an answer for my impedance question. I don't like the idea of five hundred dollar paperweight is all.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

They're not actually as I misread the question.  What you calculated was the power in the circuit with the voltage drop across the resistance which will show a higher power but to do it right it needs to be calculated with current.

At least I think I'm describing that correctly.

They're not actually as I misread then question. What you calculated was the power in the circuit with the voltage drop across the resistance which will show a higher power but to do it right it needs to be calculated with current.

At least I think I'm describing that correctly.

I changed it one last time, paralleled two satellites the one coil in series for ~5ohm/ch. It will get the job done lol. Can't wait to have the fucker back in the trunk on full power. Sounds fine for listening to rap while doing paperwork.

Thanks for the quick answer :)

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Still don't know if anyone answered as it ia hard to tell what was asked. There are ways to recheck. Hell I am from Fargo I ought to know.

I think I got him covered.  He was trying to calculate what his final nominal impedance would be with a few different calculators, the final one giving him an answer of 1.7 with a 2 ohm and 12 ohm parallel circuit.  He didn't think the 1.7 ohms was correct.  He was also getting the wrong answer from the calculators he was using on how much power the higher ohm load and lower ohm load would receive in the circuit to which I think I finally got that straightened out, I think.

So, I think that he's all good now.  At least it would seem so.

Yup :D all good here.

LOL, and hey, you even learned the formula for calculating the resistance of a parallel circuit.  :D

Isn't correct though. You calculated for a single frequency not using values at that frequency...

There is a reason I asked what was being connected. Question isn't answerable without knowing.

Isn't correct though. You calculated for a single frequency not using values at that frequency...

There is a reason I asked what was being connected. Question isn't answerable without knowing.

What didn't I say? Huh?

What didn't I say? Huh?

Nothing about the speakers.

I have, on each channel, two 6 ohm speakers in series for 12 ohms, and then paralleled to a 2 ohm coil.

It is very possible to wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel together and still have a load approximating 4 ohms...

Depending on the speakers the calculation is V

Well if I had the means to measure them why would I have even posted? I usually ask questions I don't know the answers to...I couldn't provide you with anything more than the brand and manufacturers labeled impedance.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Drivers would help...

Like I previously stated... They are yamaha satellite speakers. I have no more information than that. I provided what I have. My friend peeled the stickers off I think... No model is listed on them. I have five 2.5" satellites each has a .75" tweeter(about)

From an hour of google it seems they are six ohms. That's it.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

They aren't really 6 either.

How did you cross them over without knowing?

Oh for fucks sake.

What do YOU want here? My problem in my thread is answered. If you just want to talk shit about my audio knowledge spare me. Unless you can teach without being a dick to me, can you just let someone else answer man?

Everything is full range and they seem to have thier own internal xovers blocking any bass. Nothing fancy. It makes sounds so it is doing it's job. No it won't win awards. Do I care? No. Is the amplifier seeing a safe load now? Yes. And if I get nervous I could dig up a dmm.

I am running a BTL full range. This isnt a serious long term project. It's a time killer. Save the lessons for a quality build not a ghetto blaster. Then your sarcasm and rudeness is actually worth tolerating

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Wasn't sarcastic or rude. Completely serious. Isn't it right to assume you think and do things right? Thought you were actually trying to learn. If you read it differently, why not actually put yourself into a different frame of thought when you read my posts. They are to help you learn by making you think, reading extra into it isn't needed.

If you had crossed things over there would basically be no equation necessary as impedance is frequency dependent. Since you didn't the only answer is to be concerned about the area's where ALL drivers are pulling current in the frequency range. There is a reason that a nominal 8ohm tweet and mid when used together with a crossover are still 8ohms.

-edit-

Edited by SpeakerBoy