Sign in to follow this  
benbenondatrack

FI Sp4 Recone Turn around

Contact Fi?

Last time I sent in my SP4 to get it reconed it took 3 months (I don't trust myself to do a recone and have never done it before). It just went out a second time due to the tinsel leads (again), and ironically the day after that Fi released the new FOAD leads. I'm questioning if I should give the new leads a shot or if I should look for a different sub. 

Last time I sent in my SP4 to get it reconed it took 3 months (I don't trust myself to do a recone and have never done it before). It just went out a second time due to the tinsel leads (again), and ironically the day after that Fi released the new FOAD leads. I'm questioning if I should give the new leads a shot or if I should look for a different sub.

If you don't change amps, it will still fail, just takes longer, tho, if you look at the new leads, you have to question it because now there is no cooling in the leads itself. It's wrapped in that heavy sleeve

I was running it on an AQ3500D.1 at 1 ohm. I have a Mechman 370A alt. I always paid special attention to make sure I didn't clip the signal. Its a shame, the sub sounds amazing and it has no problem with the low notes. I had it in a 4.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 26 hertz and it sounded great musically and dished out the lows, while still getting pretty loud. It must be the sub's leads though, out of all of the other subs out there on these same amps there seems to be no issue. It took Fi 3 months to build my sub  I had it playing for 4 months before the leads went out. Sent it in to get reconed and it took them a little over 2 months to get it back to me. After that I have had it running for 5 and a half months before it recently had the leads fail again. 

If this is bound to happen again even with the new leads then do you guys have any suggestions of other subs that are loud, musical, and like the low notes? Probably going for a 4" coil with higher power handling. I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time to look into details but heres a list of subs after a brief search : 

DC Level 6

T3 TSNS

Tantric SHD

Team Sundown (don't know when it will be released but looks promising)

DD 9900

American Bass VFL Comp

Ground Zero Plutonium

Soundstream X3

Right now I'm most interested in the Level 6, TSNS, or the SHD. Any input on any of these subs or other ones that might be of interest to me? I might be looking at 2 18" tuned somewhere from 20 to 28 hertz. Definitely going for the lows, and want to be able to pull a decent hairtrick. 

I was running it on an AQ3500D.1 at 1 ohm. I have a Mechman 370A alt. I always paid special attention to make sure I didn't clip the signal. Its a shame, the sub sounds amazing and it has no problem with the low notes. I had it in a 4.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 26 hertz and it sounded great musically and dished out the lows, while still getting pretty loud. It must be the sub's leads though, out of all of the other subs out there on these same amps there seems to be no issue. It took Fi 3 months to build my sub  I had it playing for 4 months before the leads went out. Sent it in to get reconed and it took them a little over 2 months to get it back to me. After that I have had it running for 5 and a half months before it recently had the leads fail again. 

If this is bound to happen again even with the new leads then do you guys have any suggestions of other subs that are loud, musical, and like the low notes? Probably going for a 4" coil with higher power handling. I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time to look into details but heres a list of subs after a brief search : 

DC Level 6

T3 TSNS

Tantric SHD

Team Sundown (don't know when it will be released but looks promising)

DD 9900

American Bass VFL Comp

Ground Zero Plutonium

Soundstream X3

Right now I'm most interested in the Level 6, TSNS, or the SHD. Any input on any of these subs or other ones that might be of interest to me? I might be looking at 2 18" tuned somewhere from 20 to 28 hertz. Definitely going for the lows, and want to be able to pull a decent hairtrick. 

Definately drop the TSNS, there is a reason T3 went out of buisness..

Out of the others though I would probably go for the Team Sundown, after that DD, then DC.

Just my opinion if it matters.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Definately drop the TSNS, there is a reason T3 went out of buisness..

Out of the others though I would probably go for the Team Sundown, after that DD, then DC.

Just my opinion if it matters.

Oh ok I didn't even know T3 was out of business. I only recently heard of them when looking for 4" coil subs. I'm going to keep an eye on the team sundown subs for sure, and when I get the time I'll have to plot out the DC, DD, and the Tantric in winISD to see which I can get loudest with at 20 hertz. I appreciate the opinions thanks!

Here are some more options.

SSA Evil

IA warden

DDS Magnetar (not out yet but will be later this year.)

Here are some more options.

SSA Evil

IA warden

DDS Magnetar (not out yet but will be later this year.)

Thanks, I forgot about Quentin's subs, but they look great! I was actually very interested in his Trident subwoofer, it sounds like it will be one heck of a sub. I like how he is gearing both the Trident and Magnetar toward the low frequencies, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Since the Trident is not going to be here for a while I might have to check out the Magnetar. By any chance do you know approximately when it will be out this year? 

Edit: (Just checked the Magnetar thread and it said about June)

Edited by Rail

Yea I would choose the 3 I said and also the sundown before any of the other options you out up.

The magnetar should be out between then and the fall.

I would chose the magnatar, out of all the options listed. The tinsel lead is failing, according to fi, it's the amp output signal causing the damage. That is the reason he gave me for my evil failing.

At this point I'm thinking of waiting and getting the DSS Magnetar, Sundown Team, or DC Level 6. In the meantime I'll be able to do some sound deadening that I haven't got around to yet. The rattles from ceiling lights and controls get annoying after a while and it should sound a lot cleaner once its deadened. 

Are the 4 inch coil FI subs that bad???

No

Yeah just look at the other people who are running their Fi 4 inch coil subs with success. Why keep going in every thread about this stirring the pot. Run your subs and enjoy them, if not then sell them and hop on another brand. Simple as that.

I was just asking a question boss!! I have run multiple FI series subs and commented on what the OP said. BTW don't worry about what threads I go too

Sign in to follow this